Thread: Ford tuning questions please check it out.

Tuner

Ford tuning questions please check it out.

ok, I have the beta software and I have some questions.

(1.) is using the global spark adder the right thing to do when adding timing?

(2.) where is the line that runs through the charts that allows you to drag it around in the chart display to what ever point you want.

(3). Can I make a custom histogram to do maf tuning with my wideband?

(4.). When am I going to be able to use the vcm controls in the scanner to lock the torque converter? In the mean time is there anyway I can force it to lock in the tune?

(5) Why does the scanner randomly crash? I've sent tons of error reports.

Vehicle is an 05 explorer.

Thanks!!

Advanced Tuner
    1) No. Borderline knock table is usually the table primarily used for timing. In the coyote platforms, you have several borderline tables and the optimum power one is used when WOT. But, my ford experience lies mostly with mustangs, so I can't tell you what's what on the exploder. Post your tune!!
    2) Not familiar with any such line.
    3) Yes you should be able to. Have not tried with the beta yet though.
    4) first question better to be answered by HPT staff, but I bet the answer is "two weeks" LOL. You can usually manipulate the tune to lock the converter, but further guidance would require seeing the tune.
    5) because it's a beta version. Update it daily and keep sending the error reports.

Tuner
    heres a copy of my tune. This is the stock tune file.

2005 Ford Explorer XLS 4.0L V6 Stock.hpt

the line I speak of runs vertically across the chart and you can drag it with your mouse to move to any point you wish in the chart display.

I tried the borderline knock table and it didn't do anything for me. ill try it again though.
    Last edited by fullthrottle; 04-25-2015 at 12:03 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    I've never seen such a line with HPT in any software version.

Experiment more with timing. You may be able to log spark source to verify. The borderline knock table should be used primarily in medium to wot conditions. Idle and light load conditions probably use different tables.
    Keep in mind that whatever table it's operating in, there are corrections to spark that occur for various reasons including intake air temp, coolant temp, etc. So what you see in any table will almost never be what you actually get. Experiment by picking a table and making changes to it. See if your changes effect a change in delivered spark. I.e. If you add 2 degrees, see if delivered spark increases by 2. If it does, you just confirmed the table it's operating in.

Advanced Tuner
    Regarding spark: (I was going to post this in the other thread, but I saw you created this one)
    I'm glad you posted this. I had the same problem with an explorer. What I did was went into the global spark adder and added timing that way. It worked. Now, let me be the first to say, I don't know 100% if that's the right way to do business but it worked nonetheless. Your question was one I was about to post up myself but I'll wait and see if anyone else responds to yours because; it sounds like it could answer my question as well.
    I ended up doing the same. All the multipliers available set to 1, all the adders set to 0 and only borderline/MBT left. No change
    Added some to borderline. No change
    Took away the knock sensor. No change
    Went back on all those changes except my borderline spark table; and added 4 in global. Worked! However Id like to not do it this way; but NOTHING else effected spark at ALL no matter the changes I made.

I dont have a wideband in this vehicle yet and this is my first solo tune so I spent a lot of time trying to figure out what would change what with the behavior of the spark and got super frustrated with nothing changed anything lol.

So far ive only messed with spark, etc, and tq management. I did change the Base fuel table a bit; just made it a bit richer up top. (.85 seemed better to command than .88).

Advanced Tuner
    What pid are you using to log advance? There is a possibility that you are logging a pid that merely reads off a table value.

Or, there's a switch or something missing.

Advanced Tuner
    It's the one that shows up when the vehicle is connected. It's unfortunately tps vs rpm. There was a load histogram that I tried and it stays in the .15 load row no matter what. 2.24 and 2.25 scanner are the same only 2.25 scanner doesn't graph or work with the histos for me.

I thought that it might be the scanner until the global adder showed a change. It still could be the scanner I guess but I did log a difference with the 4* added globally so I'm not sure at this point.

I'm using his vehicle to get my feet wet tuning, I really already got what I wanted out of it (smoother drivability and faster pedal reactions). I just started messing about with spark just because I want to learn more.

Advanced Tuner
    Hmmm, I'll try to take a look at the file tomorrow.

In the scanner list of pids, select add new (2.25) and go through the available pids. I bet there's others you can log for spark.

If your spark tables are load vs rpm, then you can change the histogram you are using or make a new one that models the table correctly.

Advanced Tuner
    I'm going to try 2.25 again and see what it has in it. I haven't had too much time to mess with it. Just a little here and there.

I'll report back if I find anything. I really want a load vs histo. Tps is foolish lol.

Advanced Tuner
    Make sure your logging air load and your histo is set up to use it. Histograms don't work if the right parameters aren't being logged.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by PST View Post
    I've never seen such a line with HPT in any software version.

Experiment more with timing. You may be able to log spark source to verify. The borderline knock table should be used primarily in medium to wot conditions. Idle and light load conditions probably use different tables.
    Keep in mind that whatever table it's operating in, there are corrections to spark that occur for various reasons including intake air temp, coolant temp, etc. So what you see in any table will almost never be what you actually get. Experiment by picking a table and making changes to it. See if your changes effect a change in delivered spark. I.e. If you add 2 degrees, see if delivered spark increases by 2. If it does, you just confirmed the table it's operating in.
    I just downloaded 2.24 so I can show you because for some reason, I cant open up any of my corvette Log Files files with the beta version. I havent tried to open a tune file from my vette with the beta version. It probably wont do that either. Anyway heres the line im talking about.

HP Tuners Chart.PNG

Advanced Tuner
    Ahhh!!! I was thinking you were talking about the tuning tables, hahaha! Probably one of the beta bugs.

Tuner
    Do either of you guys know about logging spark? When I logged yesterday, my scanner was reading weird shit like -127ยบ and that to me just doesn't seem possible.. what gives?