Thread: New to tuning. Need some help, 3800 supercharged highly modified

Potential Tuner

New to tuning. Need some help, 3800 supercharged highly modified

Hello, my name is Josh.
    Im very new to tuning but ive done a TON of reading the last few days on everything 3800. I have an 88 Fiero with a highly modified 3800 in it with a manual trans. I had a lightly modified engine last year with a matching out of the box tune from the dude who did my harness. It worked well i think.
    Last years mods are as follows( ill get to what changed later in the post)
    Ported gen3 blower with stock pulley.
    Ported and polished LIM with zzp stage 2 heads
    Stock injectors
    140# springs and stainless valves and stock rockers
    Xp hot cam.
    So everything prior worked great for a year
    THEN i got a good deal on a gen 5 blower and Lq4 maf and northstar throttle body with a 3.0 pulley and . Zzp shortstack intercooler and a matching polished LIM and 60# injectors.
    So all the above mods with the new stuff, i brought to a speed shop that will remain unnamed who didnt take care of my car and didnt touch it for 3 weeks with an appointment and a little communication yada yada. Anywho i said eff you brought my car home and bought HPTuner. Love it so far. Butttt now i have to go about either retuning a stock tune or trying to fix their muck up.

Question time.
    What is the standard order of operations for tuning. I know i need to set my ifr to 60.01 across the board to get it running somehwhat properly.
    May car does this thing where it dosent want to rev. It like chugs or bounces with any amount of throttle. Thus renderinf the car undriveable. Its like its missfiring but ive put new plugs and checked the coils and cant find the suspect.
    Thanks
    Josh

Senior Tuner
    To install injectors into a 6 you need to divide the original injector value by the new to get your offset. You should enter 57.6 into your IFR table by my calcs here. Post your tune and a log of your car doing this after you change the IFR values. And you say you have 60's there, by whom?
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Potential Tuner
    Siemens Deka 60# injectors
    I put new plugs in last night and today it did help alot since the shop gaped my plugs to .029 I regaped them to .057. Autolite 103s 3800 Fiero V1.hplFiero 3800 V5 with Lq4 data and 57.6 IFR.hpt

I still feel like its Chugging or misfiring. It is very rough so I didnt want to run it for to long, dont want to foul the plugs to quick.
    I am also hooking up a wideband O2 right now.

Senior Tuner
    You may have a ground or wiring issue. Your injectors on bank 1 keep dropping to 0 in that scan. Been a while since Ive gotten into one of these. Your Injector Skew table is left stock for one. Been understood for many years they need a little "kick in the pants" for the front three cyls. Skew Cyl 3 to 1.0081, Cly 1&5 to 1.0039. Even with injector upgrades the 3800 guys were doing this for quite some time.
    Last edited by MMGT1; 04-24-2015 at 06:51 PM.
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Potential Tuner
    I will try the skew first and scan and see how it goes. If it dosent run better i will go searching for the elusive ground. Are the injectors ground through the harness?

Potential Tuner
    Alright. I skewed them and for some reason the person I got the injectors from had the "spacers" inbetween the injector and the head instead of inbetween the injector and the fuel rail. I didnt notice until this morning. Switched them and added another ground from battery to chassis.
    Anywho this is my scan.
    Fiero 3800 with lq4 maf and 57.6 IFR.hpl
    It is short but hopefully there is everything needed.
    Kinda confused how I can get it running better.
    Thanks
    Josh