Thread: Use of Credits

Advanced Tuner

Use of Credits

I have a buddy who has the same PCM code as mine, but a different strategy. If I make a tune for his car, will it require the use of credits to load?

Quote Originally Posted by txcharlie View Post
    I have a buddy who has the same PCM code as mine, but a different strategy. If I make a tune for his car, will it require the use of credits to load?
    Yes. Even if you have the exact same strategy, his VIN is different. Credits are tied to VIN & Strategy.
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

Advanced Tuner
    Ok, Thanks Eric!

Tuner
    Strategy... is that the Pcm code on the car, or another code in the HpT file? I ask because when I'm prompted at the license selector pop-up, I've seen a couple of different numbers after my VIN#. Ie. FPFD32A on one tune file and FPFD3B5 on another. I'm just wondering if these have to match or not to license the car or if it's like something simple as a file version or something. I just want to know if it matters at all which file I license, or if it's basically the same file. Or, if I have to re-read the car again on a new version of HpT Beta and start with that instead. Doesn't really matter to me other than that I don't want to license something that I am unable to use.. it happened before a couple years ago and you guys fixed me up; took a while, but don't want a repeat.
    Thanks
    Last edited by Knightwolf; 04-23-2015 at 11:32 AM.

If the strategy is different, even if the VIN is the same, for licensing purpose it will require 2 credits.
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

Tuner
    Ok Thx Eric.. That's what I needed to know

Tuner
    Next question.. what's the difference between strategies? Does it change things around so much so that the car will not run the same at all? Tempted to try the "other" strategy to see if it resolves my current issues.
    Thx

Advanced Tuner
    I've asked the same question and from what I can understand, the PCM code is hardware related and is identified by the sticker on the PCM. The strategy is more related to the code on the PCM. Two cars can have the same PCM code and different strategies.
    I have some buddies that know way more than I do and have told me that some strategies have issues. You can load an identical tune on 2 identical cars that have different strategies and 1 car will run perfect and the other will have surging and hesitations. The only difference would be the strategy.

If a dealer updates a PCM, can it change the strategy and are there strategies that one should avoid if tuning? Is there a way to look up one's strategy via HP tuners?