Thread: 5.3 turbo/After 1 boost hit everything stays Rich

Tuner in Training

5.3 turbo/After 1 boost hit everything stays Rich

I am puzzled, I have been tuning this thing and I keep hitting a wall. All my searching hasn't given me a definitive answer. Its a 2001 Truck PCM

This is not a final tune. I haven't smoothed or finished the VE. At cruise all my StFT are +/- 3 ish. If I go up in boost level or give it a little hit, all across the board everything goes rich and stays rich. The LtFTs shut off, the stfts are trying hard to bring it back to stoich. almost -20 ! There is a setting I am missing or maybe I need to reflash, you tell me. The log I will post shows this happening. Just cruising then tip in a bit then BAM! Rich. If you shut the vehicle off, wait awhile then restart then it will go back to being "normal"

I currently have PE as the main adder and BE more as the Safegaurd. I do not like this, I just tried it and will put it back to BE as being just solid boost enrichment. I dont like 11.2 AF when I am at not throttle near 105kpa.

My AF reading in the chart is off. Its .6 off. so its running 14.6-15.2 AF ratio. My WB shows the correct numbers, the Chart doesnt. SO at a good hit it goes to 10.1 AF ratio which is WAAY off from my target. Thats the other issue I am having. Boost referenced regulator so in boost 7psi its about 65 psi fuel pressure. Its always rich. No idea why. I took a ton of fuel out of my VE in boost areas with no change.

Thanks for any direction. I may rewrite entire tonight
    Attached Files Attached Files

i just had and solved the same issue with my stft's on my turbo vmaxx. Russ hooked me up....read the thread: http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...-boost-cmd-AFR

Tuner in Training
    On the BE why is your factor always changing? I thought with a boost referenced reg you keep that number constant. I may be wrong but this is how my tune is set up

PE is set at 12.5 and comes in at 75 kpa then my BE is set at 11.5 and comes in @ 90 kpa that's the only change that my AFR CMD does. My PE does have a slope (left over form NA tune), but its in such a small span of 20 kpa, it doesn't matter. I'd probably be better setting that one across the board too.

Tuning Addict
    Sounds like your hitting a max map parameter and then it's defaulting or your map is sticking internally. Don't have my labtop to look at your datalog or tune, but this is what it sounds like if that helps or gives you something to look into? Max map volt under diag section or max air flow vs map vs volts or something like that.

Sorry couldn't be more help.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bad03snake View Post
    On the BE why is your factor always changing? I thought with a boost referenced reg you keep that number constant. I may be wrong but this is how my tune is set up
    I just put it in there to try out, more of an experiment.
    I dont need it rich at low boost and I want it safe up top so I am ramping it up. It made no difference anyhow other than PE making it go super rich at 100-110 kpa when it wasnt needed. Hence why I mentioned switching back to Boost enrichment as my overall target AF ratio. Of course I am only running 7psi and not making any WOT runs with the current problems. It was ok prior. I may just reflash with one of my first tunes. Blah!

did you stft's still stay active in boost?

Tuner in Training
    no, you can see it on the scan too.. they flatline.

dude, your boost hysteresis is wrong! change that to 5kpa. You won't come out of boost enrich until 5 kpa with your tune. Hysteresis works like this: enable BE @ 100 kpa, hysteresis is set at 5, which means it'll shut off at 95 kpa. With your settings, you have 100kpa - 95 kpa = 5 kpa shut off. You can see it in your scan too, everything is fine until you go into BE, then it stays there waiting till you hit 5 kpa, but you won't since idle is around 20 kpa, thus you stay in BE until you shut it off.
    Last edited by Ranger6202; 04-22-2015 at 10:49 PM.

Tuner in Training
    HAHA! I hope thats it. Its nice to have another set of eyes look at stuff. I will change it and flash it tomorrow. Not sure why I changed that setting.

Tuner in Training
    Yes that took care of that issue. Thanks. Just a couple other issues to go....