Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Car starts intermittantly, only runs for 2 seconds, new 3 bar os

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger6202 View Post
    .......have you been able to run your tunes strictly MAF on the 2/3 bar OS's?
    UPDATE to this question i had earlier.........I've been working on a friends STS turbo'd Silverado. When I first acquired it, the tune was complete garbage! VE table looked like the rocky mountains and the MAF curve had quite a few hills in it also. Not to mention the PE being set to 8:1 and a lot of other random no-no's. STS retains the MAF sensor, but does not upgrade the MAP sensor. And so I upgraded it to a 2 bar MAP and did the 2 BAR OS enhancement. Tuned strictly speed density for the first few days, and got her dialed in. I then reverted to strictly Metered density (MAF) and tuned that way for the next 2 days. Upon switching methods (to strictly MAF), my trims went through the roof, thus verifying my airflow calculations were not from the newly tuned VE table and alas were from the MAF. The answer to my question earlier about running "strictly MAF" on an enhanced 2 bar, was then answered....YOU CAN! I was able to dial it right in with no problem with the Boost Enrich table still kicking with no problems.

I did notice something odd when combining the two methods back together in stock form (speed density and metered density overlapping). When going into commanded PE or BE, my AFR went extremely lean and stayed lean, as if they VE table was way off, until I reached the Filtered Mass RPM limit (3500 RPM), at which point it lined right out with commanded. Tried it a few more times to verify it wasn't a fluke, and sure enough, it repeated it every time. Pulled over, reverted back to speed density, and everything lined out perfect. Reverted then to metered density (MAF) and again everything was spot-on AFR wise. I then set the filtered mass to 3000RPM, flashed the combined tune back in, And everything has worked perfect since. I doubt changing the filtered air mass switch to 3000 was the cure. I'm guessing it was just a glitch and a simple reflash would have fixed the issue. But anyhow, there you go, 2 bar enhanced OS WILL work strictly MAF, and blended between the two.......so far!
    Last edited by Ranger6202; 06-07-2015 at 11:35 PM.
    Custom '85 Crew Cab Short Bed Lq4 swap
    '06 Turbo Vortec Maxx
    '87 Military K3500 LQ4 swap
    '96 K1500 lq4 swap, Howard Cam (216/224 @ .050, .551/.551, 114), Centerforce Dual Friction

Senior Tuner
    Not just a glitch, I can reproduce the same problem at 3500 rpm as well.

for real!?! So did you just shift your MAF filter RPM down to 3000 too? Or did you just go strictly one or the other? And do you think this is something associated with the 2bar OS change?
    Last edited by Ranger6202; 06-08-2015 at 10:06 PM.
    Custom '85 Crew Cab Short Bed Lq4 swap
    '06 Turbo Vortec Maxx
    '87 Military K3500 LQ4 swap
    '96 K1500 lq4 swap, Howard Cam (216/224 @ .050, .551/.551, 114), Centerforce Dual Friction