Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Car starts intermittantly, only runs for 2 seconds, new 3 bar os

Are either of those 2/3 bar OS's?
    Custom '85 Crew Cab Short Bed Lq4 swap
    '06 Turbo Vortec Maxx
    '87 Military K3500 LQ4 swap
    '96 K1500 lq4 swap, Howard Cam (216/224 @ .050, .551/.551, 114), Centerforce Dual Friction

Senior Tuner
    One was a 4.8 12212156 with 2 bar. The other was a 12592618(P59) with maf installed.

The 4.8 started almost like nothing was wrong with the changed settings. I did a 2 bar corvette 12212156 recently with the exact settings that required feathering of the throttle to stay running and set code even after the tune was done. Not sure what the difference is.

Interesting.....One more question mecanicman.......have you been able to run your tunes strictly MAF on the 2/3 bar OS's?
    '06 Turbo Vortec Maxx
    '96 K1500 lq4 swap, Howard Cam (216/224 @ .050, .551/.551, 114), Centerforce Dual Friction

Senior Tuner
    This is a base tune for a 427 procharged 2002 Firebird running id1000's and a 3 bar. Some basic idle tuning done and that about it, Fires right up and sets code immediately like nothings wrong.
    Last edited by mecanicman; 05-09-2015 at 12:06 AM.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger6202 View Post
    Interesting.....One more question mecanicman.......have you been able to run your tunes strictly MAF on the 2/3 bar OS's?
    Don't know if I have ever tried? I tune the MAF using a standard o/s and then just copy it over to the COS later if I am using the maf with it.

So it would seem that you're like me and Motown and assume the MAF still works all the same since you copy the maf values over to the SD OS and leave it enabled on selective setups?
    Last edited by Ranger6202; 05-08-2015 at 09:01 PM.

need to apologize to ryanbgb22 for the tangent i started. All the MAF talk is irrelevant if you have the MAF installed. I read back through the posts and i don't see where you stated to whether it was even installed and being used or not.
    Reading back through to where you had it running and then NOT, seems to me you have a control issue with your fuel.....missing ground, fuel pump not turning on....whatever. Probably need to start with the basics. Verify fuel pressure at the rails, after a start attempt smell for fuel at the exhaust or pull a plug and smell there, or have someone crank it with a pulled plug and watch for the mist at the hole. Once you have fuel verified, we'll move on to ignition.
    Last edited by Ranger6202; 05-08-2015 at 09:30 PM.
    '06 Turbo Vortec Maxx

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger6202 View Post
    need to apologize to ryanbgb22 for the tangent i started. All the MAF talk is irrelevant if you have the MAF installed. I read back through the posts and i don't see where you stated to whether it was even installed and being used or not.
    Reading back through to where you had it running and then NOT, seems to me you have a control issue with your fuel.....missing ground, fuel pump not turning on....whatever. Probably need to start with the basics. Verify fuel pressure at the rails, after a start attempt smell for fuel at the exhaust or pull a plug and smell there, or have someone crank it with a pulled plug and watch for the mist at the hole. Once you have fuel verified, we'll move on to ignition.
    No problem at all, all good information that is valuable to me as a very amateur tuner.

For my situation, I do not have a MAF installed, the connector on the harness side is just sitting unplugged in the engine bay. I haven't had much time to mess with the car the past few days, but I still have not gotten the maf to fail.

Currently, the car will not even start for the 2 seconds, it hasn't done that since it was up and running. During cranking, it just kind of stumbles and acts like it kind of wants to start firing, but doesn't ever give any real indication of running.

I will mess with the MAF setting some more and see if I can get them to fail.

As far as adjusting the throttle, I've tried from slightly open to WOT throttle to pumping continuously while cranking, nothing will make it fire up.

I am pretty sure I'm getting fuel. I have pressure at the little plug on the fuel rail, I smell fuel out the exhaust while cranking, and the injector duty is at 2% while cranking.

Tonight I'll get a video of the spark on one of the plugs to make sure it looks healthy enough to you guys. It looks good to me in my experience working on 2 strokes.

Thanks for all the support guys, don't really have anywhere else to turn.
    Last edited by ryanbgb22; 05-10-2015 at 08:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanbgb22 View Post

For my situation, I do not have a MAF installed, the connector on the harness side is just sitting unplugged in the engine bay. I haven't had much time to mess with the car the past few days, but I still have not gotten the maf to fail.
    Where is the IAT?

Ed M
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by mowton View Post
    Where is the IAT?

Ed M
    Took a break from this thing for a bit....now i NEED to get it running.

My IAT's are ambient temps, around 70-75 here. My water temp is reading about 65 while cranking. Still NOT getting my MAF to fail before, during, or after, extensive cranking. I'm currently set at 8,000 high rpm disable, 100 hyst. I've tried 0's, I've tried 12,000....still nothing.

try changing p0101, p0102, p0103 to Mil on first error. With, of course, the maf freq fail set at 0 and the other three in the dynamic section set at 0 too.
    '06 Turbo Vortec Maxx

Tuner in Training
    STILL nothing.....I don't know what to do. I'm seriously considering selling the car as is. It's a heavy paper weight taking up more than half my garage right now.

I tried all the different combinations of MAF cells suggested in this thread, MAF still won't fail. The only code I'm getting is a P1637 because my alternator is not hooked up. I'm so frustrated, the car was RUNNING!!

Today I tried going back to the original OEM tune (even though it was a 5.7 tune, not a 5.3) and getting it to start with just changing over the injector data, still nothing.

If anyone is willing to help, I'd be willing to throw them a few bucks via paypal for their time. I'm desperate.

It pains me to hear that you're ready to throw in the towel, and i wish i could fly to wherever you are amd help. I read back through this thread to see if anything stood out. It seems we've changed everything in the tune to try and get it to start running again. The fact that it ran for a little while on one of the tunes tells me that even a bad tune would be a close enough calibration that it would at least try and struggle to stay running. I honestly think the issue is somewhere else in the build and not in the tune. I'm curious to what MAP sensor you're using, and if you have verified that spark and fuel are working.
    '06 Turbo Vortec Maxx

Senior Tuner
    Switch back to the tune that's a copy of what I posted. Load default imperial config and add commanded afr to it. Turn key forward, start log, then try and start the car. Post the log. What fuel are you running? Your positive you have proper fuel pressure?

Post fuel pressure with key on. Then while cranking.

Sorry to just chime in again. But with you guys helping so much it cant be tune related. You guys all know your stuff and its not working. I bet its fuel. What fuel pump do you have installed? And hows it installed?
    Last edited by smokestack; 05-29-2015 at 03:34 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Well, I just bought a fuel pressure test kit from NAPA. As long as the gauge is accurate, I think I may have found the problem. Key on, fuel pump prime - 48psi. Cranking - 48psi.

Would being ~10psi low cause the car not to start?? I hope so! I do think the injectors ARE firing though, because I can still smell fuel out the exhaust after I crank.

Thanks a lot for your continued support guys.
    Last edited by ryanbgb22; 05-30-2015 at 10:29 AM.

Being low isn't ideal, but it would still fire, it would start adding fuel like crazy once up to temp. I would check spark. If you can smell fuel out of the exhaust, you have enough to get it to atleast stumble and fire. I'm betting its spark you're missing.
    '06 Turbo Vortec Maxx

Senior Tuner
    What fuel are you running? Is this e85?

lol, apparently yelling is not allowed on hpt site, I capped all that and when I press save it puts it lower case. I asked 3 times now and no answer.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by mecanicman View Post
    What fuel are you running? Is this e85?

lol, apparently yelling is not allowed on hpt site, I capped all that and when I press save it puts it lower case. I asked 3 times now and no answer.
    I am running 91/93 octane. Fuel in the tank is ~1 year old, put about 5 gallons of fresh stuff on top.

I did notice that the connector that goes to my crank sensor looks a bit questionable (exhaust exits near the starter). All wires are in tact, but is there a way I can setup the scanner to verify proper operation of the crank sensor? Or do I know I'm good since I'm getting RPM readings?

Quote Originally Posted by ryanbgb22 View Post
    is there a way I can setup the scanner to verify proper operation of the crank sensor? Or do I know I'm good since I'm getting RPM readings?
    I personally haven't had to do this yet, but a quick look in the scanner tells me you have a few pids looking at something with the cam sensor:
    Campic.JPG

worth a try, let me know what you see.
    or you can just pull a spark plug and watch it spark??
    '06 Turbo Vortec Maxx