Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Car starts intermittantly, only runs for 2 seconds, new 3 bar os

Tuner in Training

Car starts intermittantly, only runs for 2 seconds, new 3 bar os

Hi, I have a 02 Camaro that I just swapped a lm7 (5.3) into. It is a 4l60e running SD 3 bar OS.

Some info:
    stock 02 camaro intake
    ls6 cam
    stock returnless fuel system
    siemens deka 80lb injectors (the ones everyone uses)

Today I attempted the first start with the tune attached. It would not start, however, with the help of starting fluid it would turn over for about 2 seconds. There were a couple times it would start right after the previous time, but most of the time it will not. It does not start consistently, even with the use of the starting fluid.

I'm running a stock returnless fuel system, 80lb siemens deka injectors, 3 bar map. I'm totally lost here, any help, input, or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    Is this a different ECU if so would be VATS

Senior Tuner
    Just a quick look, Cyl Vol is wrong for a 5.3, if the injectors are rated at 3 bar then the IFR is wrong, and your MAF DTCs are set to no error.

just converted to a 2 bar on my turbo silverado, had a similar issue. Every time i reflashed, it would take forever for the maf to fail. Would stumble and barely run for about 2-5 secs....usually dying about 5-8 times. So my question to you is.....do you get the ses for the maf right away? or is it even in right now? if no, here's a pic of what you need to change.Capture.jpg

Tuner in Training
    Hey guys, I had the car running for the past week on the tune uploaded, but today would not start. I'm totally lost again.

Tuner in Training
    Ugh, I think I uploaded the wrong tune originally, and I think I've lost that tune.

After the initial post when the car wouldn't start, I noticed that I left a ground off near the passenger headlight after I painted the engine bay. I hooked that ground up and the car started and ran well. I started it a number of times that week and it started and ran as expected on a base tune.

Last Sunday I was about to start putting the charge piping on and install the intercooler. I went to start the car beforehand and it would not start again, same exact symptoms as last time. I pulled the tune from the car, and it seemed like it might have lost it, looked like it may have went back to stock...if that's possible.

So I made another base tune, the one attached to this post, and it will not start. THe same symptoms where it acts like it might start to fire once every 20ish seconds of cranking, but will never actually get close to firing up.4-27-15 wont start recopied.hpt

Tuner in Training
    are 80lb injectors scaled in with a tables modified for them on the tune file u posted on top?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by BlownChevy'06 View Post
    are 80lb injectors scaled in with a tables modified for them on the tune file u posted on top?
    The tune in my first post is not the correct one or the one I'm currently using. The one 2 posts up is the tune currently in the car that I'm trying to get it running with. The injector data and tables were copied over from another tune that was using the same injectors as what I have installed.

They are the siemens deka 80lb that are very commonly used.

Senior Tuner
    DO NOT WRITE THE FILE I HAVE ATTACHED!!!!!!!!!!!
    Your tune file is a calamity of errors. I have attached a file. I suggest you load your file, then mine as the compare. Copy across all differences. For the DTC's you will have to do them all manually, make yours match mine exactly. Once everything is exactly the same save your file and load it. While not perfect it should start and run.

Your injector data is not correct. The Greg Bannish DVD has the correct data as well as instructions on tuning you will find useful. I suggest buying it.

YOU WILL HAVE ONE OR ALL OF P0101/P0102/P0103 SET WITH NO MIL LIGHT, THEY MUST REMAIN THIS WAY!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by mecanicman; 05-01-2015 at 11:23 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by mecanicman View Post
    Your tune file is a calamity of errors. I have attached a file. I suggest you load your file, then mine as the compare. Copy across all differences. For the DTC's you will have to do them all manually, make yours match mine exactly. Once everything is exactly the same save your file and load it. While not perfect it should start and run.

Your injector data is not correct. The Greg Bannish DVD has the correct data as well as instructions on tuning you will find useful. I suggest buying it.

YOU WILL HAVE ONE OR ALL OF P0101/P0102/P0103 SET WITH NO MIL LIGHT, THEY MUST REMAIN THIS WAY!!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks! will take a look when I get out of work.

Any idea why it was starting and running before? Unless if I missed something while copying the second time...... Either way, thanks a lot!

Tuner in Training

Why should it be this way? Why not set it to no error in the DTC section?

Tuning Addict
    The codes have to set for it to run in speed density, so to keep cel off you uncheck ses box. BUT codes must set for speed density to work.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Tuner in Training
    Great thanks for the info!

Tuner in Training
    Well, I copied everything over, matched all the dtc's, still the same exact thing. Act's like it wants to maybe go once ever 20-30 seconds of cranking.

I'm so frustrated and confused. This thing was running, well, 2 weeks ago

fwiw, this is the tune I uploaded today after coping.copied over from HPtuners.hpt

Senior Tuner
    I will look tomorrow. Do you have codes set?

As i earlier stated in this thread and added a picture. If you fail the MAF in the event that it isn't even plumbed in anymore, your setup will struggle to start UNTIL it is finally able to fail the MAF. Please look at my post earlier and make those changes to your dynamic airflow tables. It should immediately fail the MAF with minimal stuttering. As mecanicman has asked along with a few others, are you even getting your failed maf codes set? If not, follow my post. Make sure your Map values are correct with your 3 bar setup.
    Custom '85 Crew Cab Short Bed Lq4 swap
    '06 Turbo Vortec Maxx
    '87 Military K3500 LQ4 swap
    '96 K1500 lq4 swap, Howard Cam (216/224 @ .050, .551/.551, 114), Centerforce Dual Friction

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger6202 View Post
    As i earlier stated in this thread and added a picture. If you fail the MAF in the event that it isn't even plumbed in anymore, your setup will struggle to start UNTIL it is finally able to fail the MAF. Please look at my post earlier and make those changes to your dynamic airflow tables. It should immediately fail the MAF with minimal stuttering. As mecanicman has asked along with a few others, are you even getting your failed maf codes set? If not, follow my post. Make sure your Map values are correct with your 3 bar setup.
    I have tried that with the last tune after you suggested. I just copied over mecanicman's tune 100% last night and tried to get it to start. I will modify that tune with the changes you suggested above and see if that changes anything.

I did not check to see if codes are set. I would see that just by scanning, correct? Not that I care at the moment, but NY requires an obd2 scan for inspection, when the time comes, would the car pass inspection with those codes set?

If you are trying to run SD and the MAF is no longer in place, if you do not set the codes right away, it will not run. It will stumble and and die and crank and etc..... until the MAF fail codes are set. A couple people have stated this in the thread about the codes being set.
    Custom '85 Crew Cab Short Bed Lq4 swap
    '06 Turbo Vortec Maxx
    '87 Military K3500 LQ4 swap
    '96 K1500 lq4 swap, Howard Cam (216/224 @ .050, .551/.551, 114), Centerforce Dual Friction

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by mecanicman View Post

Just to make sure, the attached tune you gave is for 80lb injectors, correct? I just came across the injector scaling calculator, so I'm assuming what you have matches this? I'm at work, will have to check when I get home.

Capture47.PNG

Senior Tuner
    The injector data in file I provided is just copied from your tune. It's not correct, but close enough it should run. Need to know if you have and codes set before trouble shooting any further.