Thread: 02 Camaro Heads and cam

Potential Tuner

02 Camaro Heads and cam

How does this look to you guys, new to tuning and the low rpm logs for this cam are so inconsistent. Only working on the VE tables right now. Cant seem to get it down with the ol' copy and paste method.

cam is 235/239 on 111lsa
    .610/.610 Lift
    with 14 degrees of overlap
    lightly worked 243's
    stock bottom end ls1
    (ls6 intake)
    supporting mods as well...long tubes ect.

Thanks so much for your input
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Keatong_3; 04-16-2015 at 09:02 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Keatong_3 , got any logs to begin with mate......Need some so I can see what is happening and go from there cheers Bret

A couple of things I'd do with the tune before you even log:

-Zero out your adaptive idle airflow tables
    -You need more spark in your idle range 21-24 isn't enough for that cam. Try 28 across the board for idle.
    -In your main spark table add some spark in the idle RPMs 400-1200 .08 to .32 and make them 28. For your 1400-1800 cells reduce the timing to 22 from .08 to .32. The rest will have to be tuned. But that will help.
    -Set your PE Ratio to 1.000 upto 1200 RPM. You're extremely rich there and that cam wants to idle at least at stoich if not leaner (you can lean it out with the VE table tho).
    -PE is rich across the board. Try 1.16 everywhere.

Don't log until you're at 160 degrees. Then drive with a lot of revving through the range for a solid 30-45 mins with the wideband reading. You want your histogram filter set to 30 counts so you have enough data. Your VE table keeps changing because the data set is too small (I learned this). Need at least 30 counts. 50 being better. Reflash with the updated numbers and do it again. Get the error to 1-2% and then you'll be good.

As for the idle, you need to lean it out. The wideband isn't much use at idle with a big cam. Instead, use either RTT mode or the scanner bi-directional control to lean out the idle. In fact, if you can turn off adaptive spark and get it to idle, you'll probably be very lean 16:1 or more, but it won't surge. But if you try to give it gas, you'll have no response. The balance is getting both to be "okay." Lean your VE table out by whatever you changed your bi-directional control by in the 800 and 1200 columns. Say if you commanded 15.7 and it seemed to hold idle, you need to divide by your stoich number which is 14.5. That's .92... so you'd multiply your VE in the cells you idle (probably between 65-75kPa in the 800 and 1200 columns) and lean them out by that much. By not touching the other cells, you should keep your throttle response, but you may need to do some smoothing. If things are hesitant, multiple by 1.02 to add 2% fuel back at a time until things are like you like.

You can do idle tuning without even using the wideband O2. You can watch your narrowband O2s in the scanner. The closer they get to 0 mV switching, the better off you'll be. You'll also hear the car change in sound (choppier) the leaner it gets. Right now your O2 switchpoints are too high. Set them to 450mV across the board. I've gone as low as 300mV to really get a lean reading of more than 15:1. You can do that as well to help you watch your O2 switching while you tune.
    Last edited by JakeFusion; 04-19-2015 at 08:23 AM.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the replies, I'm very new to this and it a lot to figure out. I did get it to idle better but I knew the problem couldn't only be in the VE table like you said. im going to make the changes you recommended then try and get a log before it gets dark! Again thanks for your help

Potential Tuner
    izzyrealsdnew.hptlog419.hplizzyrealsdnew.hptlog419.hpl

Here is the new tune doing what you said jake, and made one log before then made a small amount of adjustment to the VE

And this log is after the adjustment, would have done more, but the HPtuner software kept giving me an error mesaage and wont bring up the tune to adjust for the last log.

Did it idle better? One thing about big cams is it takes a few logs and some tweaking to see what it likes.

Potential Tuner
    yeah it really does. But at first start up it idles quite a bit lean like 17 at initial start up (running temperature) then richens up as you drive it for a minute or two. But it certainly feels better down low. my only problem now is actually getting the editor to work, I'm emailing the support right now. I keep getting a weird error message. have tried reinstalling the software and still no luck, hope to get it figured out soon. I want to get back at it.

If you're in OL, you can set the car to be richer at colder temps as it comes up to temp in the OL EQ table. Just have to play with that to see what it'll tolerate. Going too rich can make it behave poorly as it warms up.