Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Idle hunting?

Tuning Addict
    Well atleast those can be made out better anyway. Thanks for the image resizer schpenxel and for reminding me on how to image a screen shot speedforhire... Hope this all helps you out.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    ..............Wish I could get some better images straight off the computer screen...
    Are you using a desktop or laptop?

With a desktop: Set the Window (that you want to save as a pic) active by clicking on it and bringing it to the forefront. Hit the "Alt + PrtSc" buttons simultaneously. Open Word to a blank document. Right click on the doc and select paste. It should show the screen capture on the doc. Right click on the doc again and select "save as picture". It should open a default location for pics which will be the Pictures folder. Enter a name for the pic and then hit save. Note: The default file type is .png so if you want to change it to a .jpg then select it from the drop down menu below the box that you typed the name in.

With a laptop: The procedure is the same but you hit "Fn + PrtSc" simultaneously to do a screen cap.

I'm out for the night guys. Lets please continue tomorrow. I owe you guys a beer. Thanks.

Tuning Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedforhire View Post
    Are you using a desktop or laptop?

With a desktop: Set the Window (that you want to save as a pic) active by clicking on it and bringing it to the forefront. Hit the "Alt + PrtSc" buttons simultaneously. Open Word to a blank document. Right click on the doc and select paste. It should show the screen capture on the doc. Right click on the doc again and select "save as picture". It should open a default location for pics which will be the Pictures folder. Enter a name for the pic and then hit save. Note: The default file type is .png so if you want to change it to a .jpg then select it from the drop down menu below the box that you typed the name in.

With a laptop: The procedure is the same but you hit "Fn + PrtSc" simultaneously to do a screen cap.

I'm out for the night guys. Lets please continue tomorrow. I owe you guys a beer. Thanks.
    Well see that's the problem. It won't let me save the document as a picture. I'm using Windows 7 deluxe which is 1 just under the highest windows 7 package you can get and a few over the pro version. Not sure if that has anything to do with it or not? I know it has a lot of extra security mumbo jumbo that can cause some headaches, but worth it in other aspects...

Were you able to see what you needed from the other pictures. They were atleast clearer...
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    search for snipping tool you should have it
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

Well see that's the problem. It won't let me save the document as a picture. I'm using Windows 7 deluxe which is 1 just under the highest windows 7 package you can get and a few over the pro version. Not sure if that has anything to do with it or not? I know it has a lot of extra security mumbo jumbo that can cause some headaches, but worth it in other aspects...

Were you able to see what you needed from the other pictures. They were atleast clearer...
    It's not the Windows program that matters. It's the Microsoft Office program. I'm using 2013 on my Windows 7 Pro laptop.

When you paste the screen capture on the blank document click on it one time and you will see small dots appear around the image. That means it's active and ready for editing. Right click on the image and select "save as picture". It defaults to your pictures folder and a .png file format. Type in the name your want to label it and below that box there is the file format. Click the thumbnail in that box and select .jpg if you want to change it, but .png works just as well here also.

I haven't gone through the images yet.

The built in Snipping Tool works well also but it is involved. That's a good one SultanHassan. I prefer using the Microsoft tools also.

...........just in case someone wants to view it or recommend I drive the car off a cliff. I'm thick skinned so it won't hurt my feelings.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuning Addict
    OK, figured out what my problem was. For whatever reason with my old outdated laptop you have to use paint. Word will not work. Guess I should have google searched it to begin with huh... If you need any other photos to get your scanner going, let me know.

~Greg Huggins~

MSPaint.exe is a good one also........I haven't touched that one in a while.

Thanks for your pics and I certainly will need more help. This tuning escapes me. LOL!

Tuning Addict
    Side note. Glanced at your tune. You min airflow table needs addressing. It should start with it's lowest number and increase from there... Idle speeds are all over the place - should be one value when up to temp... Idle proportional airflow is WAY too high... Idle integral airflow is a little high as well... Not much, but a little. Hate to say it, but you might want to go back to OE, then restart with the usual things.

~Greg Huggins~

MSPaint.exe is a good one also........I haven't touched that one in a while.

Thanks for your pics and I certainly will need more help. This tuning escapes me. LOL!
    That is what I was going to suggest.. it's not great for much else.. but you can open it, paste the picture into it, crop down to size and then save it at least
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Tuning Addict
    Here's a couple of examples of about where your tables should be. I also got some pics of one where I power tuned the idle by decreasing idle advance and increasing main timing if that will help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

~Greg Huggins~

Tuning Addict
    Then here's the main timing table for the idle power tune...
    Attached Images Attached Images

~Greg Huggins~

Here's a couple of examples of about where your tables should be. I also got some pics of one where I power tuned the idle by decreasing idle advance and increasing main timing if that will help.
    lol.. my min air table is almost exactly the same. I lowered mine down some from 1200 RPM's and up but otherwise it's almost identical.

Why so little timing on the base idle timing table? Not saying it's wrong, just curiuos

Tuning Addict
    Power tuned the idle. You can look at the main spark table in the next post and see it's much higher than most. Plus I find the lower advance setting helps to control idle speed better.

I may still have to lower the 1200 up ranges a touch, but I'm trying to walk that "fine line with self cruise and fuel economy" I guess Those idle proportional and integral tables pretty much get rid of all neutral coast surge that most have after tuning that people tend to complain about. The one downside to them though, which I kinda like, is that it'll hold a 1200 to 1500ish rpm during neutral coast until somewhere around 5 to 10mph where it drops it back down to just over normal idle, then returns to idle once completely stopped.
    Last edited by GHuggins; 04-27-2015 at 08:52 AM.

~Greg Huggins~

Forgive my ignorance.. what does power tuned mean?

Tuning Addict
    Optimised it, in simplest of terminology... Cammed motors don't respond 100% to it, but turbo engines and OE's alike really like it... It's no different than tuning your timing for cruise fuel economy. Same principle, Same effect... Biggest benefit is being able to pop the clutch on manual cars and watch the rpms dip as low as 150 to 200 then rebound right back up. In other words less stalling, less need for fueling in stop and go clutch in and out driving and you'll find you have to take out a decent amount of fuel in your idle sections of your VE table, due to less overall timing. I find built or tuned engines in general don't require as much timing advance to idle... This also helps with idle surging or hunting if you have that problem due to ignition advance and not O2's and fuel trims switching. BUT don't get me wrong, you may find some to like the extra timing. Just depends on the setup and I really guess I shouldn't have even put that one in here.
    Last edited by GHuggins; 04-27-2015 at 11:17 AM.

~Greg Huggins~

Optimised it, in simplest of terminology... Cammed motors don't respond 100% to it, but turbo engines and OE's alike really like it... It's no different than tuning your timing for cruise fuel economy. Same principle, Same effect... Biggest benefit is being able to pop the clutch on manual cars and watch the rpms dip as low as 150 to 200 then rebound right back up. In other words less stalling, less need for fueling in stop and go clutch in and out driving and you'll find you have to take out a decent amount of fuel in your idle sections of your VE table, due to less overall timing. I find built or tuned engines in general don't require as much timing advance to idle... This also helps with idle surging or hunting if you have that problem due to ignition advance and not O2's and fuel trims switching. BUT don't get me wrong, you may find some to like the extra timing. Just depends on the setup and I really guess I shouldn't have even put that one in here.
    Gotcha. I'll have to play with it some.. I've pretty well left idle timing alone so far
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Your advance table and base table images are cropped. Can you post a full image?

Thanks for your time!

Your advance table and base table images are cropped. Can you post a full image?

Thanks for your time!
    Just continue the same trend as what you can see.. it gets to a point where it doesn't change anymore (or at least not enough to matter)

...............Hate to say it, but you might want to go back to OE, then restart with the usual things.
    You are probably right.

Like I said before, I'm a gearhead, and it would be easier for me to drive the car off a cliff than sort out a tune. :-( I miss the old days when we re-jetted the carbs and hit the motor with a timing light. I could tune a four-stroke bike with a mercury carb tuner..........those were the days. LOL!

I'll apply the settings from the images, but some of them are cropped............don't have all the cell values listed.
    Last edited by Speedforhire; 04-27-2015 at 03:23 PM.