Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Idle hunting?

LTFT Min ECT = 159*...............to get some heat in the motor first?

Increased idle rpm's and timing (0-28/0-1200) a little to make it feel alive.

Anyone know how to make it consistently chop like a cammed car should? I tried the YouTube approach and it made the car sound like a farm tractor with a see-saw effect. :-(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pY2phcqg5Tk

.................I owe you guys a beer!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Speedforhire; 05-02-2015 at 05:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    ............. Did you get your O2's dialed in correctly? If you hold it at 1500 rpms, does your engine tone and rpms change with O2's and fuel trims switching? If so get them in better too. Looking for a constant rpm and engine tone while maintaining rpms and decently slow switching stft's. Can't give you any direction on this because it seems all are different. Typically increase O2 proportional 1.2, have even seen it respond well to decreasing or *.835 then increase O2 integrator delay somewhere around 1.15 to 1.5... This will help tremendously with cruise surge or idle hunting/surging...........
    My car does this. Can you show me the table to correct? Can you provide a screen shot or values? Is it the "Closed Loop" tables?

Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post

............. Did you get your O2's dialed in correctly? If you hold it at 1500 rpms, does your engine tone and rpms change with O2's and fuel trims switching? If so get them in better too. Looking for a constant rpm and engine tone while maintaining rpms and decently slow switching stft's. Can't give you any direction on this because it seems all are different. Typically increase O2 proportional 1.2, have even seen it respond well to decreasing or *.835 then increase O2 integrator delay somewhere around 1.15 to 1.5... This will help tremendously with cruise surge or idle hunting/surging.........

I made the changes. It helped smooth the idle at a constant rpm as you stated.

Here is my current tune. Now if we could get it to lope like a Pro-Mod I would call it a day and stop screwing with it. LOL!

Tuning Addict
    I sent you another email. Get or borrow that wideband and we'll do an open loop idle tune for the lope...
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

The idle still dips well below the desired idle when abruptly letting off the throttle or blipping it. It should fall gradually and settle at the desired limit.

Anyone have a LM2 WB for sale cheap?

Quote Originally Posted by Speedforhire View Post
    The idle still dips well below the desired idle when abruptly letting off the throttle or blipping it. It should fall gradually and settle at the desired limit.

I have an MTX-L for cheap if you want it. Full disclosure, it's been hit or miss for me lately.. it did fine for the first 6 months but now sometimes it works great a week or more straight, sometimes it gives me some kind of error (E8?).

But, I'd be willing to get rid of it for pretty cheap if you want it.
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Tuning Addict

your on MAF only... add 2.5 to your min air flow table and see what that does.

Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    your on MAF only... add 2.5 to your min air flow table and see what that does.
    I think that's probably the problem too. I'd add 10% and try that. If it doesn't help, try 10% more again.

Also, add throttle position to what you're logging if you haven't already

Advanced Tuner

ebay has them for around $160

But your better off using your stft to tune part throttle and idle

Are you positive your issue is tune related.

Spray some carb cleaner around your vaccum hoses and intake to check for vaccum leaks.
    Another way to check is the unplug your maf, and disconnect the coupling at your throttle body, start the car and watch the throttle body blade. If its bouncing back and fourth a lot you have a leak.

Here's a recent log............and my current tune. I think I got my tables mixed up. LTFT's are positive during cruising and flat at idle.

I'll check all the mechanicals. Thanks for the reminder Max. It's been my experience that it's always the simplest things that cause the most grief. :-(
    Last edited by Speedforhire; 05-04-2015 at 09:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxspeed96ct View Post
    .................But your better off using your stft to tune part throttle and idle.................
    I've read that also. Most tuners disable LTFT's until throttle/idle is set, then tune WOT with LTFT's.

Me, I'm lost and seeking guidance here. There are some great people here. :-)

Tuning Addict
    You can customize the LM2 so it get's you withen 2% of closed loop operation by changing the sampling rate withen the wideband itself. That way you can use the wideband for quick tuning and your fuel trims for fine tuning.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Tuning WOT with LTFT's?

Me no comprende.

?????????????

Here are three logs from a cruise I just completed. My apologies, but I can't get WOT on the street. Traffic is somewhat congested right now. Cruise#3 has some brief WOT moments..............LOL!

Here are three logs from a cruise I just completed. My apologies, but I can't get WOT on the street. Traffic is somewhat congested right now. Cruise#3 has some brief WOT moments..............LOL!
    What issues are you having? Same as before with the RPM's dipping when you let off? If there's particular points in the logs where you can point out whatever issue is happening it makes it a lot easier to look through

Issue #1: The idle doesn't fall smoothly to the desired idle setting. When going closed throttle, the idle will dip below the desired setting then bounce back up about 200rpm's higher than the desired setting and sit there until it falls back to the desired setting.

Does that make since?

Can someone show me how to set the Dynamic Airflow and the Mass Air Flow to a minimum of 2.0 lb/min?

I've noticed that this cam has a natural lope when the airflow is above 1.900 lb/min. I can increase the FIAM but it falls to an average of 1.700lb/min when at idle and the car starts sputtering.

Can someone show me how to set the Dynamic Airflow and the Mass Air Flow to a minimum of 2.0 lb/min?

I've noticed that this cam has a natural lope when the airflow is above 1.900 lb/min. I can increase the FIAM but it falls to an average of 1.700lb/min when at idle and the car starts sputtering.
    I'd increase the idle min airflow some more. If you haven't gotten to a point where it doesn't want to come back down to idle then you haven't gone too far yet

Mine doesn't match up with what the MAF is actually reading for whatever reason, so I'm guessing yours might not either. My min idle airflow table is a good 20% over what the MAF actually ends up reading at idle. No idea why, but it works