Thread: MAF Tuning Question

Senior Tuner

MAF Tuning Question

Im reading that the MAF is by reference periods, well I have no reference period choice in the scanner. Ive blindly made changes to the MAF curve in period to make this car rich and as safe as I can for now. My question is this, can I just change the drop down box from reference to volts? In the scanner I can scan for volts or can we not mess with the "MAF Type" option? So, if this is an option, I could actually give the MAF a proper tune.
    2000 Trans Am WS6

I haven't used the new scanner yet (Eric is using my cable as a remote "slave" to tune a local Procharged 2015) so I can't comment on the ability to log MAF-hz with it, but you're going to want something that is capable of doing so. Blindly making changes to the MAF is going to throw drivability and spark tuning out the window. The PCM runs in closed loop nearly 100% of the time except for startup so adding to the maf to richen up the air/fuel isn't going to accomplish much.

I posted this a few months ago briefly explaining how I setup a MAF period PID in 2.24. Again, I haven't used 2.25 scanner yet so I have no idea what it takes to setup the same PID.

The MAF Type option is to correspond to the type of MAF that was fitted from the factory. Changing it would probably disable the MAF altogether.

Senior Tuner
    Thanks Witt for the link! Created, tested and looks great! Just had to install the comma's between the copy/paste of period marks and it works, fantastic!
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Glad it worked out for ya. Having a properly calibrated MAF is probably one of the most important aspects of the tune.

Senior Tuner
    hahahaha no kidding! Running last nights scan looks like I had us around 6-8% rich. I was waiting for the period to show in the available pids list bud! Had no idea it had to be made... oh man
    2000 Trans Am WS6