Thread: Colorado I5 VE Tuning using Fuel Trims... Am I doing this right?

Tuner in Training

Colorado I5 VE Tuning using Fuel Trims... Am I doing this right?

Hello HPT Forums!

I'm new to tuning, and am doing my best to read around here and other places on the net to learn.

I honestly think I'm being too nervous about it... BUT... Maybe you all can help alleviate my concerns.

So I've decided I want to touch up the factory VE tables on my 06 Colorado 3.5 Auto Truck... I'm aware that since the truck is stock (except for a cheap muffler a previous owner put on) there shouldn't be much change needed, but I figured this was a good place to start learning.

Obviously there are 5 VE tables based on cam position... One of them being the max advance position, and it never gets used.

What I've done so far is created (What I Hope Is) a Closed Loop Speed Density Tune which I will then use to log LTFT's to rough in the Factory VE Tables, then move to STFT's to further fine tune them.

The methodology I've used is as follows...

1) Created the CLSD Tune Attached and Flashed it into the ECM.
    2) Used Bi Directional Comms in the VCM Scanner to reset Fuel Trims.
    3) Logged about 50 miles of driving after the engine has already reached full operating temp.
    4) Copied and "Paste Special Multiply by half %" the Logged LTFT's out of each cam position VE Table into the corresponding location in the Editor.
    5) Flashed new Revision of VE Table.
    6) Reset Fuel Trims again to re-log and repeat the process again.

Is this methodology correct?

Could somebody take a look at my CLSD Tune and verify that I've got everything setup correctly in preparation for tuning VE?

Also.. I've included my first log and revision of the VE tables based on this CLSD tune... (I'm worried about how few of the actual cells are being used...)

I've also attached my scanner configs... And any input on those would be a huge plus as well... But I think I've got them pretty dialed in using other peoples configs as guides.

I would greatly appreciate any input the forum would provide!

Thanks in advance!

-David
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    Here are my scanner configs since I couldn't post all of the files in first post...

Tuner in Training
    I could truly use some help here if somebody would be so kind...

I'm willing to read or learn it on my own if somebody could even just point me in the right direction.

Or... I'm even willing to pay for some 1 on 1 help.

There's GOT to be some folks in here experienced in tuning the Atlas 5 Cylinder....

Tuner in Training
    I'll bump this one more time for help... Sure would be appreciated.

Here's my latest tune revision, and a couple of logs based on it...

Can't figure out why my Min Cam VE doesn't seem to be affected much by my changes yet.

SDRev387OctCHwytoHome.hpl is the first log after flashing Revision 3, and a Trims Reset.

SDRev387Oct54ToOsage.hpl is the second log... No Trims Reset

SDRev387OctWfromOsageToHome.hpl is the third log... No Trims Reset

Tuner in Training
    Really? No input or advice?
    Last edited by ZMBKLN; 04-18-2015 at 02:49 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    From you logs, it doesn't seem like you are having any issues. There are some areas that are picking up a little bit of knock. Probably from crappie 87 octane fuel. But for fuel trims they look pretty good. But why are you wanting to run speed density?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark@TuckerPerformance View Post
    From you logs, it doesn't seem like you are having any issues. There are some areas that are picking up a little bit of knock. Probably from crappie 87 octane fuel. But for fuel trims they look pretty good. But why are you wanting to run speed density?
    Hey! Thanks for the response!

I'm basically using the little I5 in this to learn on for now while I gather parts for my LS Swap...

As such... I figured learning how to tune this type of VE Table System was as good a place as any to start. I'm aware that with the stock engine and no real mods that there shouldn't be MUCH change... BUT... I'm hoping to learn a little something while I get the factory VE Table Calibrations perfect.

As such.... I've put the truck in Speed Density to tune the VE Tables using the fuel trims of the stock narrowband O2's for now with no interference from the MAF. Once the VE Tables are where I want them... I'll re-enable the MAF, and calibrate it... Then I'll go to work on the Power Enrich modifiers (once I have a Wideband installed obviously), and then finally ignition timing.

That's kinda why I started this thread... Just to verify that I was in fact in Speed Density mode with this tune, and that I was in fact on the right track to tuning the VE Tables... However I'd love to get a real thread started on tuning the Atlas engines all together, encompassing all things such as the normal changes, (VE, MAF Cal, PE, Ignition Timing, etc...) but also thing such as the variable exhaust cam timing.

I appreciate your looking at my logs... And I look forward to any further advice you can provide.

I'll have more logs up later this evening from today that I have some questions about.... Hopefully somebody smarter than me will have some advice.

Thanks again!