Thread: Tuning My LQ4 help

Potential Tuner

Tuning My LQ4 help

Im new to tuning and needing some help. I know to some these may be some stupid questions, but i dont have the resources to figure things out myself. I have taken care of the fuel tuning but need help with the rest, or at least if there is more to tune. the engine i have is a gen 3 LQ4, stock bore, stock stroke. Flat top pistons, torquer v2 cam, 7.450" push rods, LS7 lifters, stock rockers, As-Cast 225cc heads, 2.06" int valve, 1.6" exh valve, F.A.S.T. 102 intake mani and TB, LS2 style fuel rail, 50lbs injectors, 255 L/hr fuel pump. could someone either make me a tune, or tell me what all i have to tune? like i said, the fuel tuning is set, just need help with the rest. thanks

Advanced Tuner
    The best place to start is the stickie at the top of this forum. There are links to TONS of helpful "how to" posts. Tuning VE tables, MAF, idle are all there. And those are the best place to start.

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...o-and-how-to-s

HTH,
    Jason
    1996 Camaro SS M6 - 24X conversion - stock bottom end - heads - shorty headers - 58mm TB
    Ultradyne 230/238 .565/.565 112+4 - 30 LB red top SVO injectors - LOTS of suspension...

2002 GMC 2500 HD Duramax M6 - Just starting the tune on a stock motor now that I have a good clutch on order...

Potential Tuner
    actually did look there first, ive been attempting this for about a year and half now, gone through 3 ecu's, been trying my best with the "how-to's" but im still having issues. my biggest problem is understanding the values of the tables, not knowing what im needing to convert, or what equation i need to use. I was able to take care of my fuel with the online help, but it doesnt say anything about Air. I have the g/cyl figured out, the car runs off of a map and maf. but just some of the tables i cant figure out, and there arent any "how-to's" on them. like i said, im not sure if i need to to tune anymore, or what.

Advanced Tuner
    Which tables are you looking to tune?

What driveability issues are you having?

Thanks,
    Jason
    1996 Camaro SS M6 - 24X conversion - stock bottom end - heads - shorty headers - 58mm TB
    Ultradyne 230/238 .565/.565 112+4 - 30 LB red top SVO injectors - LOTS of suspension...

2002 GMC 2500 HD Duramax M6 - Just starting the tune on a stock motor now that I have a good clutch on order...

Potential Tuner
    Engine wont stay running until 140 degrees. the entire airflow table is what im having trouble with. The other thing is, the ecu Im tuning is for a 5.3L, where as I have a 6.0L. I have the engine g/cyl changed, and the fuel injector table was changed to 50lbs/hr. Before someone goes saying its a sensor, or something, this engine was rebuilt from top to bottom, new everything including crankshaft, albeit its an OEM, but new nonetheless. every sensor was replaced with a new one.

Advanced Tuner
    At this point we really need to see a log file and a tune file (.hpl and .hpt)

Thanks,
    Jason

Potential Tuner
    ill get that later tonight, i do have another question. I have 2 tune files, one im using as my test tune, and another as the actual tune. basically with the test tune i change the values and once i find the correct value or what not I put it on the actual tune so once i find the best tune ill write it. But the question is, every ecu I have tuned for this, I have noticed a tab for electronic throttle, yet some of the cars the ecus came out of were drive by cable. is having that tab going to affect anything or is it just a general tab for all ecus DBC or DBW?

just saying i like this guys explanations of it. http://gmtune.ru/how-to-do-it. it's simple the way he explains it. it is a top to bottom read at least twice under the how to do it link

Tuning Addict
    If your tuning your tables whether MAF or VE, you can use either one of these PIDs to make tuning a little quicker and easier...

This one's using Long Term and Short Term fuel trims combined and averaged bank to bank. You can remove pieces of the equation if your not using both long term and short term fuel trims. You will have to datalog fuel trims and this pid in the main table for it to work in your histograms...

((([PID.6]+[PID.8])/2)+([PID.7]+[PID.9])/2)))

Then if you have a wideband, there's this one for air fuel correction.

(([AUX.20121]/[PID.6001])-1)*100

You can create histograms and use one of the above to knock out your air flow tables fairly quickly, if this is the problem your having.

Hope this helps some.
    Last edited by GHuggins; 04-16-2015 at 08:22 PM. Reason: misworded
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Tuner in Training
    Thank you Howes for that link I'm tuning the LQ4 in my suburban
    Last edited by goodwrench3011; 04-17-2015 at 08:55 AM.

Potential Tuner
    Sorry I havent Gotten to uploading my tune. wanted to see where my problem was with my tune, so I switched out the ECU for another and it actually ran better, left it at a stock tune, just changed the engine from a 5.3L to a 6.0L. Left everything else stock. I was amazed, it hasnt ran this good sence before I tore it down for the rebuild. So Im figuring the ECU itself was just bad. Still need to tune it, just so I have full power, the AFR is at 13. something, the only problem I had was a P0342 code which is for the CAS. It limited my RPMs to 3500. And Thanks Howes, I will read up on that link and see if it can help me understand tuning a lil better.

side note, if anyone is in texas and is participating in the Lone Star Drift, I will be there with my car. PM me to let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by goodwrench3011 View Post
    Thank you Howes for that link I'm tuning the LQ4 in my suburban
    for a really good spark tune imo use 04 ss lq9 spark tables. also i'm currently playing w a lq4 w lots of my tunes so far in the thread if u want somelq4 reference. i'm not done yet but i find looking at other guys threads and tunes help.