Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: first tune....... first questions. lord i apologoze!

thanks for catching that btw

yeah i had it in basic lol. probably safer that way at this point. off to do more reading about this

Tuner in Training
    Just wanted to add I've been lurking the thread and wanted to add a thank you also. I have a stock 99 LQ4 truck and this is helping a ton.

Tuner in Training
    Howes did the LQ9 timing tables do better than the LQ4

so far the only apparent kr is from torque management. i am making big stupid mistakes but thankfully 5dfp hasn't written me off yet to keep my sped butt in check. make sure under view you are under advanced! (even if u are not so much.. like me!). so mostly the things that have actually worked well were lq9 spark tables. transfer ALL spark tables that differ from your lq4tune. Everyone that has ridden in the truck so far likes the trans tune it isn't extreme...just enough. I ramped the eq ratio under fuel power enrichment from an04 silv ss tune(lq9). I backed down low octane spark table a couple degrees or less in the lower right quadrant. made 5dfp's adjustments as he has suggested higher up in the thread.(then messed them up and then corrected them) So many stupid little tweaks and creaks it ain't funny Warning: the zackwolffullgammit2 file is not a super complete tune.....its runs good. but i have not tweaked the stft's yet to tune the MAF fully. If u find things wrong in it i AM liable for them please correct me but if u blow your truck up oops..that is on you it is extreme already for an old truck but we like that..I am posting files for you all review or copy paste have fun! buyer beware ! LOTS of attatchments.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I wish I had the custom PID for you to tune your VE table from the MAF. You can do that without the O2 since you get the actual airmass. It's a tremendous check against the VE tuning with a wideband. Your VE table looks like a mess and will cause everything else to be off. I know that firsthand.

You're cranking VE table looks off with that 100 block.

Your spark table looks a bit whack. I see zeroes in there. Maybe you don't hit them. But I'd use a stock LQ9 or LQ4 spark map if you haven't.

Quote Originally Posted by JakeFusion View Post
    I wish I had the custom PID for you to tune your VE table from the MAF. You can do that without the O2 since you get the actual airmass. It's a tremendous check against the VE tuning with a wideband. Your VE table looks like a mess and will cause everything else to be off. I know that firsthand.

You're cranking VE table looks off with that 100 block.

Your spark table looks a bit whack. I see zeroes in there. Maybe you don't hit them. But I'd use a stock LQ9 or LQ4 spark map if you haven't.
    all the things u just mentioned i believe came from the stock lq9 tune... including the cranking ve block that is 100...... my proofreader mentioned that to me today. don't know if it's right but it's stock?!? multiple files from the depository have the same I checked. monday when i have morwe time i will chart the stft and tune the maf in. it's running on fullgammit1 right now.

Quote Originally Posted by goodwrench3011 View Post
    Howes did the LQ9 timing tables do better than the LQ4
    lq9 tables were a great difference but must copy all spark ones so the advance and retard follow each other for a dynamic spark tune. so ones that don't make sense alone make sense together....if that makes sense. Sidennote : also kind of a question. I figured a higher compression motor would have slightly more spark retard but it seems even w all tables copied that the lq9 has more advance than lq4? am a seeing things or is the lq4 that dialed back? for the 25 hd enthusiast according to zack the egrdeletecrazy.hpt tune is the most powerful?
    Last edited by Howes; 04-17-2015 at 10:27 PM.

So on fullgammit2 which I just assume is the last file you are working with and will end up being the file you run the truck once done.

I'd use the functions in the VE table to smooth it out, it will take away the spikes in the table. Click it once or twice and it should bring things back down and leave no spikes.

Otherwise with just a quick look over, I didnt see anything that screamed at me yet.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    So on fullgammit2 which I just assume is the last file you are working with and will end up being the file you run the truck once done.

I'd use the functions in the VE table to smooth it out, it will take away the spikes in the table. Click it once or twice and it should bring things back down and leave no spikes.

Otherwise with just a quick look over, I didnt see anything that screamed at me yet.
    i will i haven't had the tomes to do that yet it tales me a long time because i want to perfect it. hopefully tonight. thanks again man u have been a great ,mentor

tablet keyboards suck. sorry for the typos.

so i smoothed it. and tweaked a couple other small stupid things trying to avoid the torque management kr that pops up at redline. so next up will be maf tuning hopefully tomorrow. then more smoothing. he still swears egrdeletecrazy was faster than fullgammit. i think i'll f with him and load the stock tune back in. random thought. i may just title the final tune thanks5DFP. that would probably be an appropriate tribute to the tuner that has given me the most guidance.

Can I get a couple opinions of experience as to why egrdeletecrazy would be faster than fullgammit?

quick update on what i am trying to do now that i don't seem to get any response. so i was trying to tune my ve and he swears it wasn't as fast as the first tune(egrdeletecrazy). so i started comparing. i reverted the truck back to almost stock pe settings. he says it's better. could it be that my pe wasn''t tweaked right so it made it slower to rich? so i submit for review
    egrdeletecrazy the best in his opinion.
    fullgammit2 not as good and i never finished ve tuning due to time constraints
    fuckingdone what is now in the truck and he says it it's back to good again

Hmm, hard to say. Does this truck have an electronic throttle body??

If so this might help some more.

Forget to tell you how a TQ mngt table that might be holding it back some. Because now that you have reduced some of the TM, changed some of the fueling and when it enters PE, I think it still going back and one of the TQ MNGT tables.

Under TQ MNGT, there is a table called ETC TPS max. That table will control how far the throttle blade is allowed open at certain situations. It's really just used to prevent wheel spin and maintain traction. You can set it to 100% for all cells. I always do on any DBW throttle body.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner
    Your friend is probably noticing less power down low because the PE is coming on sooner and making things richer than he's used to. Generally, richer = less power but safer for motor (cooler combustion temp). Having PE come on early is probably not going to help performance on a stock truck motor, but it's a good habit to have if you're going to be tuning modded stuff in the future. For example , my cars stock PE delay is 5500rpm. My motor would not last very long if I was waiting for fuel to come in at 5500rpm , while I'm making 15lbs of boost on 91 octane. It would be detonating like crazy. So I set PE to come on at 2000rpm so afr drops to 11.5 as soon as I stomp the throttle.

You can get him some more power down low on an early PE by adding a few degrees of spark and wideband tuning the fuel to commanded. But honestly I wouldn't be learning to tune on someone else's car.
    2001 Z06 : 856/830 : Built LQ9 403ci : D1SC 17psi : Self-built , self-tuned.

Quote Originally Posted by nkautz View Post
    Your friend is probably noticing less power down low because the PE is coming on sooner and making things richer than he's used to. Generally, richer = less power but safer for motor (cooler combustion temp). Having PE come on early is probably not going to help performance on a stock truck motor, but it's a good habit to have if you're going to be tuning modded stuff in the future. For example , my cars stock PE delay is 5500rpm. My motor would not last very long if I was waiting for fuel to come in at 5500rpm , while I'm making 15lbs of boost on 91 octane. It would be detonating like crazy. So I set PE to come on at 2000rpm so afr drops to 11.5 as soon as I stomp the throttle.

You can get him some more power down low on an early PE by adding a few degrees of spark and wideband tuning the fuel to commanded. But honestly I wouldn't be learning to tune on someone else's car.
    we are looking into wide band o2s currently just can't decide at the second and we need to fund it. i thiñk also because PE is not tuned much or at all in the stock tune 5500 rpm w a 60 second delay . when i put it into untuned territory it wasn't very good or tuned. so how do i tune pe? is that what tuning the ve table corrects for? or is it calculations i need to make to make it stay around 12.5 which i have been told the most power is?

5dfp its an old school cable drive. i thank ýou again for your suggestions on my first round tune. i think now i need to tune pe somehow. but he is happy with how it is now so we will i see if he even wants me to do anything.

Tuner
    Your stoich is set at 14.68. If you want ~12.5 whenever PE comes on, you set the PE eq ratio to 1.18 across the board. 14.68 \ 1.18 = 12.44 . Now , with that set , the stock tune will likely be richer than 12.44 at WOT, like somewhere in the 11's. You'll need a wideband to see exactly where it's at, and you'll likely be leaning out the MAF table to get the WOT fueling to match commanded (12.44). You can only do this with a wideband. Furthermore , I like my PE throttle enable to be 35% but you'll probably want more like 50%. Have PE rpm enable come on at 2000rpm , 0 delay , and 1.0 ramp in. If you want to compensate for loss of low end power from earlier PE , that can be done with spark... let me know and I'll send you a spark table to try
    2001 Z06 : 856/830 : Built LQ9 403ci : D1SC 17psi : Self-built , self-tuned.

he unfortunately for me is happy w f%c@ing done and says we are done except for expirementation w pe tuning if i figure it out. i like your suggestions. but this question???? how many times can i reflash until it bricks? i don't want to buy a pcm. is there a definitive? or is it just a bad tune when it does and can be saved

You can do write calibrations a million times if you wanted, there is no limit to have many times you can flash files to the PCM.

The only hiccups are problems with either the laptop, cable or somehow a shotty file that fails to write.