Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: first tune....... first questions. lord i apologoze!

first tune....... first questions. lord i apologoze!

hi stupid little background. i'm a 15 year chevy tech. i understand a good chunk of this but not as much how each table effects the other. so 1st tune it's a 2500 hd w/ lq4 6.0. 4l-80. 4.10 gears. k&n cold air, shorty headers, 3" super 44s true duals. someone in a post i found last night mentioned using the lq9 spark tables as a starting point for a dynamic spark tune. looking it over it looks like an ok idea? other than that i would like to add some fuel to get a little richer and wondering where i should start in your opinions. already i have a game plan on the trans end as far as pressure. how do i make the tcc slip 0? thanks in advance. i appreciate the help

Without seeing the tune I can't say stuff and be 100% correct but they should already run semi rich out the box.

You can change when it comes into performance enrichment, based off of RPMs, TIME, throttle %. I think they are set at like 90% throttle, 75 map kpa and a 5,000 rpm delay. Those can be switched to like 2,000 rpm, 60-70% throttle and 65-70 map kpa, that will help it get out of it's own way quicker. Also the enable torque can be set to 80-90% instead of 100%, so that way tq mgnt is not getting in the way as much.

Those are just simple changes that can't really do any harm, they just help wake it up a little.

As far as the air fuel ratio they run, I thought it's like mid 11's, bumping it to 12ish is okay just watch the knock.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

just looking more in depth now and it appears my lq4 fuel tables are richer than lq9. parts difference is pretty much only flat tops and early rods?

thank you! i will check it out

Tuner
    2001 Z06 : 856/830 : Built LQ9 403ci : D1SC 17psi : Self-built , self-tuned.

So been reading your link till my eyes bleed . Don't have the money yet for a wideband. will do soon though. found a couple other great resources also. so got lucky today. guy came into work w a tuned trailblazer 08 long tubes no cats cai. he paid 500 for a tune and dyno run somewhere. i read it and found that he only had 20 changes over stock he swears it's now an animal compared to factory tuning. they never even tweaked spark. reviewed them and stole some ideas for fueling. so this tune is going into a 2002 25hd w lq4 4l80 plow truck k+n cai shorty headers and dual 3 inch out. it has lq9 spark. added fuel upped trans pressure and tcc speeds. i have 3 versions. the reason why is i have stock egr spark. lq9 egr spark and disabled egr. which should i run iyo? i will put up the lq9 egr tune i am thinking the half ton runs more egr opening than the 3/4. but may just delete it all together. can someone experienced look it over as a proof read please? Make sure I didn't make any wicked newb mistakes. I would appreciate it.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Under fuel > power enrich, set the enable torque to 80%, set the hot/cold throttle TPS to like 75%. Enrichment ramp in rate to 2.0 and PE delay to 2,000 rpm and 0 seconds instead of 60 seconds. (sometimes for whatever reason the time delay doesnt show up everyone).

Doing those things should make it "feel" alot different in a good way, it will get on into the power better.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

thank you AGAIN! Will do and make it revision #8. getting antsy to put it in the truck monday is just so far away!

funny thing too the fuel is turned up a touch already. also i think i may have him unplug the fpr so it runs at a consistent 62 ish psi. but i did your suggested adjustments thanks for the suggestions.

I didnt have a stock file to compare with so I couldnt see if the fueling was changed any.

Those changes I said were just to get the truck to enter performance enrichment faster and without a lag feeling.

The MAF table and VE table do the fueling control, which it looked like maybe the VE was adjusted some??

And the EQ ratio is the commanded AFR, which looks decent and gets richer up around 11.7 as the RPMs rise above 5,000.

Tuner
    I wouldn't do any predictive ve and maf tuning from another tune file, you want to do that tuning on the car itself because it varies from car to car. Even the same year/make/model have different OS's and pcm's sometimes.
    2001 Z06 : 856/830 : Built LQ9 403ci : D1SC 17psi : Self-built , self-tuned.

the only fuel adjustment i had made was the injector flow rate to kpa. the reason being is that was all that was tweaked on the trailblazer. i didn't want to go too crazy until i saw how it ran in the truck. also possibly planning on boosting fuel pressure so that it stays steady instead of varying w engine vacuum.

thank you thank you thank you. so just for an update for 5FDP. your sugestions worked good. AND my first tune I would consider a success. He was grinning ear to ear and couldn't believe the difference. i do have a couple small tweaks it runs neg 4 ltft at idle so i'll tweak it and add a touch for midrange cruise. it goes plus 2 But i also want to tweak down the timing a touch ftb at redline. just before it shifts i get up to 8 degrees of kr. so i figure knock it back 2 degrees. and that's with 87 oct w 10% ethanol and we haven't fully decarbed the motor yet.

I bet 89 octane would drop it a more too.

I never run 87 in my truck, always seems to knock more. So I just run 89 or 93, runs smoother all around with 89+.

For 2 bucks a fill up, it's worth it for 89.

oops the files

yeah i should attatch those! So murphytrailblazer is the tuned tblazer that just happened to show up at work that the owner let me read which showed me my fuel cheat. then the other two are the stock tune and my now running tune in zack wolf's 25 hd. Thanks again 5dfp for the extra advice your advice made a big difference.

Is that first attached tune fully complete?

I see that the rpm delay and enrichment ramp in are still at stock settings. Still at 5,500 rpms and .0095.

that is how it is in the truck tonight but like i told him (it's a friend /coworker. it's a work in progress ) so any changes i learn of or see that we need or if he has a complaint we will fix so i can learn.

k so now more baby steps. now for ve table tuning. the guy that owns the truck(coworker/friend) is looking at me sideways right now wondering why i want to change it more. the funny part is he keeps asking if it means more power. he doesn't want to lose any of his new found power. i just laugh and tell him it will run better and maybe a tiny bit more power. I sent him home w the interface to remote data log in sd mode tonight. which now brings up my next question/ i think i understand what they are saying. about adding the the ve table w/ special paste. i assuming i want to add to the main PRIMARY ve table under airflow. ALSO I should just use the last logs numbers since the comp should be adjusting it the longer the flash is in and in sd mode? correct? I attatched the files so far. 5FDP i don't understand what u were referring to.
    "I see that the rpm delay and enrichment ramp in are still at stock settings. Still at 5,500 rpms and .0095."
    that still at the second is french to me. thanks again for your help and advice.

i have been referring to this link a lot but also other places on the forum
    http://gmtune.ru/how-to-do-it

attatchment names kind of explain what they are and for full gammit is the file i will use when fully done. i modify it in steps and save it. ltft is the sd only tune for our ve tuning and stock is well.....boring. the log is just a short blip not what i will be using tomorrow.

Holy banana's man, you need to slow down here.

You made some changes that are going to hurt this motor ALOT.

You need to understand the EQ ratio under performance enrichment.

Currently you have it set up as 2.5XX and you are adding 2.000 in the add vs ECT.

Do the math, thats 14.68/2.550 = 5.75 AFR, and you are adding to that based off coolant temp, making it even richer. That is WAY WAY too rich.

You really want it to be at 14.68/1.220 = 12.03 AFR, that is plently safe for a NA motor.

You take the stoich AFR and divide by the EQ ratio to see what you want to command while in PE.

Also the other things I said are under the Power Enrich tables, make sure are in the advanced view to see them all.

The last two things to edit on the left are the time delays, one is based off of RPM and other time, factory those are set to 5,500 and 60 seconds. Drop those down.

yeah don't know when i did that to the enrichment tables fully and i know why... its cause we are adding fuel consistently under any load. so my dūmb a$$ was trying to enhance my fuel cheat the wrong way instead of tuning the right way. why even under wot tonight it was still adding fuel? i guess i will see tomorrow. 5fdp i owe u huge!!!!!!! advanced view yeah so i suck at this huge. i haven't felt this stupid around cars in like 15 years. Someone slap me! I have tried now finding advanced view and have no idea how i am trying to find it in help or google.