Thread: What to log for lock up clutch?

Tuner

What to log for lock up clutch?

My mate has xcal4 and their datalogging programme but we have access to HP as well, just wanted to know what to log with either one to get the lock up clutch to come on the computor
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Thanks for your help
    Mark H.

Tuner
    with all the talk about lock up clutch etc I thought somebody would be logging it
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Thanks for your help
    Mark H.

Advanced Tuner
    You will most likely have to log OSS and back calculate the slip %
    I'm not even sure there is a TCC status flag showing if it locked/unlocked but you will be able to tell from the datalog
    Dan Otway has logged a heap of that stuff, he will know the best way.
    Ford BF Turbo Ute,Stock head/cams, In house built bottom end,Atomic Springs, Forged Rods,Cosworth Pistons,Atomic Billet oil pump gears,ARP Head/mainstuds,Process West Stage 3 Cooler Kit- Plazmaman plenum,Precision Int.Gate 6466,Manta twin 3" exhaust,ID1000s Plazmaman surge with Holley 12-1800 pump, Home Built ZF6H26, On United Pump E85 499rwkw 10.5@135mph https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgZupPhrMss
    Latest mods, FG intake manifold conversion and ID1300s-500rwkw, Yet to see the 1/4Mile

Advanced Tuner
    Huddo,
    I'd suggest until HPT sort out the scanner you download a program called Forscan. It can read and log a heap or parameters from the TCM inc lock up clutch state, solenoid current etc etc.

http://forscan.org/

You'll need an ELM327 adaptor as well

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_f...lm327&_sacat=0
    04 Velocity MKII M6 & 06 BF F6 555 ZF6

Tuner
    thanx for the help, was hoping to do it with either of the current programmes, I will look at that stuf, do you have a recommendation for what one for iPhone and laptop or are they all ok
    Last edited by Huddo; 04-09-2015 at 08:51 PM.
    Thanks for your help
    Mark H.

Advanced Tuner
    04 Velocity MKII M6 & 06 BF F6 555 ZF6

Advanced Tuner
    Will depend on what software you are using but look for obvious things like:
    - Torque convertor speed ratio
    - Torque convertor clutch state
    - Torque convertor clutch solenoid duty cycle
    - Torque convertor desired slip
    - Torque convertor slip

Potential Tuner
    If you have no luck with sct or hp as im extremely green but Ive used a snap on scan tool to log tcc slip. It will also log as IH8TOADS said TCC solenoid duty cycle and it was also able to calculate the TCC slip and gave the rpm difference aswell im pretty sure.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 45T-XR View Post
    You will most likely have to log OSS and back calculate the slip %
    I'm not even sure there is a TCC status flag showing if it locked/unlocked but you will be able to tell from the datalog
    Dan Otway has logged a heap of that stuff, he will know the best way.
    Just the Forscan at this stage, its what proved to me its a decision making process the TCU is going through, in this log shiftmap 2 (manual mode TCC lockup table) was set to "0"s above 50% throttle so I am commanding lockup instantly, this is (from top to bottom)

TCC slip rpm
    TCC solenoid current
    Engine calculated torque
    Trans input shaft rpm
    Engine rpm

Ive logged about 50 "roll-ons" in 3rd and 4th gear with ET streets to rule out traction loss bringing lockup on in these logs and you can see the TCU is waiting for a speed ratio to be met before lock:

Tuner in Training
    Here's another snip, the interesting thing here is the TCC solenoid signals the lockup to begin pulling on when I go to WOT as the slip rpm is initially below the "threshold" but as the slip/torque/whatever rpm isnt reduced by enough, quick enough at 0.3A supply current, EXACTLY 1 second (100 data points at 0.01 second sample rate) later the solenoid current suddenly drops off, slip begins to climb again, then after the converter begins to work closer to its natural unlocked stall range, the slip drops to and the TCC solenoid starts powering up again, this time heading for peak current flow of around .62 and slip drops rapidly until it reaches around 60

So what we need is to be able to control when that TCC solenoid powers up and probably, by how much... the factory lockup cant take a hard engagement which is likely why this safety measure is in place but with a triple friction face the Circle D Billet converters sure can!

Probably should have given the application, its a 4500rpm stall converter in a blown 4.6L on E85 at 23psi boost, havent dynoed it but its probably making just over 550rwkw or so.

Eric if you have FORScan downloaded I can email you the log with a heap of these to look at if you think its useful

Daniel

I was going to question even if you could force the solenoid to activate that there would be another governing body that would need to see an acceptable % of either road speed/rpm/load u name it but yeh a multitude of parameters to check before it would actually engage

Next up i was going to say be careful forcing a stock converter lock up into action with bulk torque, id say you would be lucky to do it once or twice before it gave up, then once u mention the circle D it makes sense lol

Without a aftermarket converter messing with lock up would see nil gains but maybe keep some obsessive people happy down low but the factory config is one of the best ive felt really
    FG F6 400+RWKW .....10.9 @ 132mph.... FIRST 10sec F6 in SA ( sold )
    DYNO DYNAMICS 1200hp ...... Tuning weapon..... ( sold )
    OFFICIAL JONNY TIG INDUSTRIES SUPPLIER ..... Biggest and lightest intercoolers for B and F falcons
    SUBARU BRZ ......AVO TURBO KIT coming......soon
    VF R8 CLUBSPORT SV...... 340FWKW.....ASE BIG SINGLE KIT .....one day

Tuner in Training
    Agreed, factory stall would not need any adjustment here its really about the cars with aftermarket (elevated) stall speed that cannot catch that slip.

When the TCC solenoid pulls 0.64A shit gets real very quick, I would love to log 1600rpm differential with 0.62A+ against it... im still going through the individual logs to see if theres any examples like that

Daniel

How many is this issue effecting so far ?

what stall is it effecting ? Are you trying to counteract the typical "loose" converter feel with engaging the lock up into the mix early?
    OFFICIAL JONNY TIG INDUSTRIES SUPPLIER ..... Biggest and lightest intercoolers for B and F falcons

Tuner in Training
    There have been 3 cars out of the 25 or so converters sold so far that were 2B stall (so the loosest ones I import) that would not pull the lockup at the track. From what I understand you can work around it to some degree with torque reductions on the shift to help pull the lockup in but its not a fix, its working around an issue that I would like to see resolved.

With the ZF getting stronger all the time (Nizpro are about to start testing some cool shit) the ability to put more power through means bigger turbos and bigger stall to get the cars off the line without NOS, so getting this sorted will be a good thing in the future.

Daniel

Hummmm interesting