Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can I tune my Coyote Crate Engine yet??

Tuner in Training
    Here You go boys and girls!!HP_VIN_Crate6.jpg
    used a 14 VIN from a customer's tune on Sat,1st strategy wouldn't allow start up but it did take the tune,something in the DBW pissed it off..So flashed it with my X3 with the crate6 strategy and same Vin,BAM! but you do have to re license if you change strategies..We force flashed with my known crate6 strategy so there was no question what strategy it was..

Can you clarify the steps you used to write the VIN? Did you enter the VIN when HPT asked after connecting to the PCM and did HPT write it? The VIN I entered wasnt 14 digits, so wonder if that is the reason it didnt work for me.

Tuner
    So you had to use your SCT and your HPTuners to get it to go?
    I'm guessing it doesn't care how many times you use the VIN as long as you license the strategy.

Does that get rid of the PATS? Possible to flash an automatic transmission into that but with the PATS/Engine tune from your control pack?

Tuner in Training
    It's a 2014 Vin David..

Tuner in Training
    cjsgarage,i'm fixing to be doing another Vin write and this time I'll have a better understanding what was the problem the 1st time..We are almost certain that the tear tag that is on the Control pack VTX3 that SCT asks for strategy doesn't play nice,cause back in 2013 when i 1st did my swap and my friend gave that to them and we went to load it and it wouldn't work,so he told them it was actually a control pack and SCT said oh,well that's not the right strategy and sent him the right one and she fired right up..So we think that that the strategy that the Ford IDS system pulls for VTX3 is no good..So what i did was now that there was a vin in the copperhead,i flashed it back with my crate6 twin turbo tune I been running (Strategy FPDM2_X01) using my X3,relicensed for the new strategy and everything is fine.. the strategy IDS flashed was FPDN_154,maybe Eric can shed some light on what that strategy is for,or maybe it's and actual mustang strategy but since the PATS is hard coded off in the control pack and not on the production coyote strategies,that's why it wouldn't start..Dunno but I'll have some more info for you guys soon..

The control pack PCMs I have looked at are just production OEM PCMs, with the production codes on them, but flashed with the FRPP Crate strategy.
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

Senior Tuner
    So...without access to other hardware this still isn't possible? I hope it is soon.
    2010 Camaro SS M6. Stock Bottom End, Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers/Exhaust.
    2005 Silverado RCSB. Forged 370 LQ9/Borg-Forced Inductions T6 S484/Jake's Stage 4 4L80E with D3 Brake/4WD.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

We will have this sorted pretty soon.
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

Senior Tuner
    Well...I lost that customer. He didn't want to wait. Hopefully another will come along, but if you need any of us to test something, I don't currently have a car I can test with.
    2010 Camaro SS M6. Stock Bottom End, Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers/Exhaust.
    2005 Silverado RCSB. Forged 370 LQ9/Borg-Forced Inductions T6 S484/Jake's Stage 4 4L80E with D3 Brake/4WD.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

Time for the weekly check in. Eric, Kieth, can you guys give us a real ETA on this? Not sure if you've noticed the number of views on this thread... Making this work will be well worth the effort.

Tuner
    98BlackMomba,
    So if I'm understanding this correctly, you HAD to use SCT and HPTuners to get this thing to fire off? The scanntool with passthru allowed you to give the control pack a VIN, then you HAD TO flash with SCT? Or you could have flashed with HPTuners?

I have a PCM with a VIN now, and a scantool with appropriate passthru to write a VIN. But I would prefer to use the VIN'd computer I have now and flash a FRPP strategy into it (if that will bypass the PATS). That would save me from having to buy a FRPP and two licenses just to get one working computer.

I echo David Borden in looking for a PATS workaround. I know it's not as easy as a GM, but is there anything we can do to make this work, however complicated it might be? I know it would go a long way for my customer and myself to see this thing fire off. I've been waiting patiently, mostly because the frame is being cut for suspension modifications.. but we should could use a pick-me-up as far as this project goes.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by cjsgarage View Post
    98BlackMomba,
    So if I'm understanding this correctly, you HAD to use SCT and HPTuners to get this thing to fire off? The scanntool with passthru allowed you to give the control pack a VIN, then you HAD TO flash with SCT? Or you could have flashed with HPTuners?

I have a PCM with a VIN now, and a scantool with appropriate passthru to write a VIN. But I would prefer to use the VIN'd computer I have now and flash a FRPP strategy into it (if that will bypass the PATS). That would save me from having to buy a FRPP and two licenses just to get one working computer.

I echo David Borden in looking for a PATS workaround. I know it's not as easy as a GM, but is there anything we can do to make this work, however complicated it might be? I know it would go a long way for my customer and myself to see this thing fire off. I've been waiting patiently, mostly because the frame is being cut for suspension modifications.. but we should could use a pick-me-up as far as this project goes.
    From what Eric has told me,the PATS is hard coded off in the FRPP strategy and can't be turned off in a factory Vin'ed ECU..But I know that JPC is tuning their control pack powered Foxbody with HPT,and i was also told that they actually used a factory Boss ECU since it already had a vin..So either way,there seems to be a way around the PATS and or the VIN issue already that those guys must have figured out for themselves..It wouldn't fire on the flashed strategy that IDS coded in the ECU based on the VTX3 coded we put in,even after i read it with HP and disabled the PATS switch and where it's hidden in a few tables..Do to the highly modified fuel system on my car for E85,I didn't try to start it after the IDS flash,but when all was complete,the TB did reset like it should so i took that for an all good to go,read it,flashed it with just changes to the fueling and the TB wouldn't reset like usual nor would it fire up..Now I haven't had a chance to investigate that tune file/strategy yet do to my work load at the shop,so i just flashed my known good tune back in with my X3 and she fired right up,so i then reread with HP,had to pay to relicense for the strategy change (Which I really don't understand) but same VIN and everything works fine..
    What I want to know now is if all the ECU's are the same as far as internal hardware goes for an auto or manual?

BlackMomba,

If I'm forced to find a dealer to write a VIN to my PCM so I can license it, do you know if they will have access to the FRPP strategy so they can update the VIN? Ive been told that they have to re-write the PCM in order to write the VIN. I assume this will overwrite the strategy?

Also, my PCM is one of the very first crate engine PCM's from back in 2011. Do you, or anyone else know if there is a newer strategy I should ask for? I ran into a post on another forum about programming the crate engine with the M2A3_X01_Crate_Engine_6 file. Would this be something the dealers would have access to?

David
    Last edited by David Borden; 05-18-2015 at 01:22 PM. Reason: added question about M2A3_X01_Crate_Engine_6

Tuner in Training
    Ford Dealer can't flash your PCM with a crate cal so don't bother with them.

Here's what I did back in the winter to get our race car up and running.

Took a Stock Boss PCM from a customer car that went standalone, flashed the crate engine cal into it with an X3, Then read it out and licensed it in HP Tuners and tuned away. Only issue is that it eats up an X3. I didn't post it up because we were working towards a better solution but haven't got around to it. I guess the cat got out of the bag.

What I would attempt to do is get a junkyard PCM that already has a VIN and blast the crate cal in with HP if it will let you. I've run a few swaps in the past on stock production PCM's with crate cals blasted into them, that is what lead me down the path of figuring out the VIN solution...

Kev

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin@JPCRacing View Post
    Ford Dealer can't flash your PCM with a crate cal so don't bother with them.

Here's what I did back in the winter to get our race car up and running.

Took a Stock Boss PCM from a customer car that went standalone, flashed the crate engine cal into it with an X3, Then read it out and licensed it in HP Tuners and tuned away. Only issue is that it eats up an X3. I didn't post it up because we were working towards a better solution but haven't got around to it. I guess the cat got out of the bag.

What I would attempt to do is get a junkyard PCM that already has a VIN and blast the crate cal in with HP if it will let you. I've run a few swaps in the past on stock production PCM's with crate cals blasted into them, that is what lead me down the path of figuring out the VIN solution...

Kev
    I did a similar process recently with a M6 Roush car. Used my xcal4, unmarried it, loaded the Roush strategy to it, used it to load the Roush strategy to the Mustang, pulled the strategy off with HPT and relicensed, returned the car back to stock to unmarry the xcal4, modified the Roush strategy with my settings and flashed back on the car.

Worked like a champ.

Thanks for the response...

Can the dealer just write a VIN to the Control Pack PCM? If not, if they flashed to say a 2011-13 GT strategy with a VIN in it, could I then license that and write what I have already read out from HPTuners on my Control Pack? Would I have to pay for 2 licenses?

I dont have an SCT. If I can find a local tuner tunes with SCT, can they write a VIN with their tools? What would that take?

What a mess. I have a $600 tool I cant use and a car that doesn't run right and its been a year this month looking for a solution to license the Control Pack PCM. Sorry for the rant, I know the HPT team has a lot on their plate, just really frustrated at this point.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by David Borden View Post
    Thanks for the response...

Can the dealer just write a VIN to the Control Pack PCM? If not, if they flashed to say a 2011-13 GT strategy with a VIN in it, could I then license that and write what I have already read out from HPTuners on my Control Pack? Would I have to pay for 2 licenses?

I dont have an SCT. If I can find a local tuner tunes with SCT, can they write a VIN with their tools? What would that take?

What a mess. I have a $600 tool I cant use and a car that doesn't run right and its been a year this month looking for a solution to license the Control Pack PCM. Sorry for the rant, I know the HPT team has a lot on their plate, just really frustrated at this point.
    I believe Eric mentioned they are working on it. I would hold tight until that is complete.

Tuner in Training
    You can do it multiple ways but I'm pretty sure you'll end up licensing 2 files. Reason why I mention the junkyard pcm(or one from a forum/classified), it's guaranteed to have a VIN. It's probably around the same price for a PCM as it would cost to use the dealer for reflash(unless you have a friend with an IDS) and it can be delivered to your door with no need for appointments and all the bs to make it happen. If it works, sell your frpp pcm to make up some(or more) of the cost. You could wait for HP to come up with a solution too. Depends on how quick you want to make it all happen.
    Last edited by Kevin@JPCRacing; 05-18-2015 at 04:39 PM.

Tuner
    Kev, wbt

you both used SCT to flash in. Is that because HPTuners won't flash in a Roush/FRPP strategy? Or is that to avoid the double licensing on the HPTuners?

I've got a factory ECU at this moment, but it's auto and I need it to stay auto. I think I'm going to be stuck waiting for it to get figured out since it doesn't look like the FRPP or Roush strategies are going to be separate for the engine and trans. Am I correct in this?