Thread: 04C5Z LS3 SWAP tuning help please

Tuner in Training

04C5Z LS3 SWAP tuning help please

Tune 1 with new ls7 injector data.hpt

edit: problem with left bank running lean?

Hi
    The car: 2004 C5Z Time Attack race car. no street use. SD tune.
    Goal: safe tune for road racing, max TQ down low, 6500RPM limiter

Please look over my tune and let me know if this is safe as a base file to fire up the car - will it even fire? And anyne know what wires do I splice into for the seperate IAT? I want to take out the LS6 MAF completely. edit: done thanks!

LS3 N/A Build engine: LS6 crank with 24 wheel and sensor, LS6 MAP sensor, LS2 cam gear and tan cam sensor, LS2 silver blade throttle body, LS3 intake and injectors, LS7 Airaid air intake with IAT sensor from a 2001 ls1 and NO MAF, LS6 knock sensors.
    PRC Ported Heads - 358 CFM on the intake ports, 1 3\4 TSP long tubes, no mufflers, OEM compression and a 226/238 @ 605\612 lift cam.

All wiring adapters from Casper electronics.

The tune: I ran this base tune for 2 yrs with a 435RWHP heads and cam LS6. I found the LS3/7 injector data on the forums, please see if they are all correct. There is a NGK wide band permanenlt hooked up in the car.

please feel free to comment, i am by no means an expert
    Riaan
    Last edited by Z06VENOM; 04-12-2015 at 10:37 AM. Reason: added more info

Tuner in Training
    Ok, i cranked it till the oil pressure was up and hooked the coil packs. It fired right up with no throttle input, but died immediately. sounded clean and solid as it reved up to around 1200rpm for a few seconds...
    fired up again on the 2nd try and died again, i tried holding with the throttle with no luck.
    now it cranks but no start, just a pop through the exaust now and then as if the timing is off.

edit: i dont think its machanical, but ill double check the timing anyway...

any ideas?
    Last edited by Z06VENOM; 04-03-2015 at 02:30 PM.

I just took a quick peek into the parameters. Not sure if you had the car running is SD mode before but the box's are still checked in the DTC for all MAF codes. Also zero out the entire MAF vs Frequency table and give it another shot!

edit:
    I compared my LS3 file to it real quick and your Base Running Airflow (idle airflow) table is nearly 60% lower than mine. Ours wont be exact obviously but I think you should definitely increase this table by roughly 50% and try that as well.
    Last edited by shoaf85; 04-03-2015 at 03:06 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Tune 2 with new ls7 injector data.hpt

done thank you. loaded but still the same problem... I did get a code though: P0342 Cam shaft position sensor circuit low?

Note... the LS2 cam cover i have did not come with the little extension harness and i was told to switch the outside wires in order to plug in the Casper electronics harness?
    should i switch them back and try again?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shoaf85 View Post
    I just took a quick peek into the parameters. Not sure if you had the car running is SD mode before but the box's are still checked in the DTC for all MAF codes. Also zero out the entire MAF vs Frequency table and give it another shot!

edit:
    I compared my LS3 file to it real quick and your Base Running Airflow (idle airflow) table is nearly 60% lower than mine. Ours wont be exact obviously but I think you should definitely increase this table by roughly 50% and try that as well.

Yes would be worth a try. Also start a scan with the switch on and make sure the MAP sensor is reading correctly.

Tuner in Training
    Yes would be worth a try. Also start a scan with the switch on and make sure the MAP sensor is reading correctly.
    Thank you for the tip and trying to figure this out with me... it looks like a MAP and Cam sensor problem.
    MAP reading stays at 1.45psi - no movement even when it fires... And switching the wires on the CPS did not help.

it fires up everytime but dies immediately and 2 codes pop up after 4 or 5 tries... p0107 MAP sensor low and CPS curcuit low...

both the MAP and CPS are new and i have no idea how to test them??
    i am going to check all the connectors again and then go out and buy new again?

thanks again

If you are using an Ls3 map sensor then the wiring is different. I know you said that you have caspers conversion harness. Try to find the cam sensor wiring for your car and the LS2 car and compare. Do same for MAP sensor. On the map sensor try to connect the factory sensor to a vacuum line to see if it runs this way. I'm on my phone so I don't have access to the tune. Also look up the linear/voltage offsets for whatever map sensor you are running and adjust the tune accordingly.

Tuner in Training
    If you are using an Ls3 map sensor then the wiring is different. I know you said that you have caspers conversion harness. Try to find the cam sensor wiring for your car and the LS2 car and compare. Do same for MAP sensor. On the map sensor try to connect the factory sensor to a vacuum line to see if it runs this way. I'm on my phone so I don't have access to the tune. Also look up the linear/voltage offsets for whatever map sensor you are running and adjust the tune accordingly.
    i have the LS6 map sensor with a modified hold down braket.

bingo! she is runing! you are the best!!!
    the map connector was not making a good contact... as soos as i got it to read she fired up and is holding a solid idle!
    only code now is the cam sensor low? do i need to adjust for that in the tune or do the wires need to be flipped? will it run if the wires are crossed? the cam connoctor wire is way behind the intake and almost impossible to get to to check unless i take the intake off?
    Last edited by Z06VENOM; 04-04-2015 at 01:37 PM.

I don't think that can be adjusted in the tune. Sounds like it's just not reading correctly but I don't have much experience with troubleshooting a cam sensor. Glad I could help, trust me I've been in similar situations and needed help as well.

But yes it should run even if the cps wires are off so that may be a possible solution.
    Last edited by shoaf85; 04-04-2015 at 03:54 PM.

Tuner in Training
    I don't think that can be adjusted in the tune. Sounds like it's just not reading correctly but I don't have much experience with troubleshooting a cam sensor. Glad I could help, trust me I've been in similar situations and needed help as well.

But yes it should run even if the cps wires are off so that may be a possible solution.
    Ok i flipped the wires back on the CPS (cam position sensor) and its all good! she is holding a solid idle and no codes... now i can start tuning.
    Right of the bat the idle A/F is way lean at idle, 15.8 - 16.0! I added another 10% to the Base Running Airflow table with no real change...
    Time to re read all the sticies, its funny how much i forgot in the last 2 yrs not playing with HP Tuners... I will ask more specifiec questions as soon as i familiarize myself again with the tuning process.

thanks again for all your help

Tuner in Training
    I added more info to my 1st post.

You are going to have to add fuel via the VE table. To get the correct idle air flow you can use a config file that is floating around here by RussK, works great for genIII pcm. You will need to let the car completely cool down and do a cold start up in order to get proper data for the entire table. You should also force the car into open loop (if not already done) and disable your LTFT's while you are tuning.

Also I'm 99% sure the purple and tan wires are the ones needed to splice into for the IAT sensor. A quick google search will probably get you the info.

here is the config to use for idle air flow tuning, use histogram 1 or 2
    Idle-Airflow.cfg

Tuner in Training
    Got it thanks! That worked out great
    She has a strong idle at 850rpm and crisp off idle throttle response!

Next question: tuning for road racing...
    PE tables?
    I spend a lot of time at 60-80% throttle in corners and only WOT on the straights...
    What's the best way to set these up? Is it safe to run 14.7 at 60-80% throttle and tune PE at 12.7 for above 80% throttle? And isn't that a bit extreme jumping from 14.7 to 12.7

I could look at MAP vs Throttle and use that to dial in the ve table...
    Last edited by Z06VENOM; 04-06-2015 at 08:25 AM.

Tuner in Training
    I was thinking to zero out the PE table (x 1.0 no added fuel) and use the VE table to dial in my A/F for 14.70 in the lower map readings and ramp it up say 14, 13.5, 13 and finally 12.7 as I go up to the higher map readings (wot yes?) ?

My goal here is to get the best possible throttle response for light transient inputs in a high speed corner doing 100mph when all 4 wheels start to slide...lol
    Last edited by Z06VENOM; 04-06-2015 at 10:16 AM.

SOT: If you're concerned about throttle response during transient conditions, why ditch the MAF? I thought that was the reason why the MAF exists in the first place. It should reach faster, and with greater precision, in transient conditions and WOT.

Tuner in Training
    vette3 headers glow L.hpl
    Tune 7 with new ls7 injector data.hpt

please help!
    Left bank headers hotter than right! they will actually start to glow if i hold it around 2500rpm 10-15 seconds - right dont get near that hot.

please look at my tune, no idea how to deal with this.

the wide band is hooked up to the right side headers and is moving around between 14.7 - 15.0 with ECT 205 holding her steady at 2500rpm?

as soon as the car cools i am going to swap the wideband to the left collector and check again.

thanks in advance
    Riaan
    Last edited by Z06VENOM; 04-11-2015 at 07:43 PM.

Tuner in Training
    anynone?

Tuner in Training
    Ls6 and Ls3 use the same Injector Bank Select table?

Tuner in Training
    vette2nddrive25min2-5k.hpl

Tune 10 new timing table, idle spark, x.9knock sensors,,vetables.hpt

11min into the log is a 4th 2-5k pull.

Hi,

I checked all the basics - swapped coil packs, injectors, and air leaks... after some more logging left bank is now only showing .5 leaner than right. Could this be normal?
    The engine sounds/runs fine, left the WB hooked up to the left header collector.

VE is somewhat dialed in, working on timing. Read somewhere 23-24 WOT is a good start?
    Changed the knock sensor values (more sensitive) and is finally picking up some burst knock in the Chart Display.
    Can someone please look at my timing tables and let me know if they are ok to start tuning?

But, Now I have a Scanner Setup issue (posted in the Scanner section) and have to fix that before i can carry on CylAir numbers in the Histogram Main Spark seems off?

thanks in advance
    Riaan
    Last edited by Z06VENOM; 04-26-2015 at 05:07 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Also please take a look at my spark knock histogram settings/readings.

I am sure I screwed something up there but can't figure out what. Those readings can't be right?

Anyone know how much g/cyl I should see at WOT roughly? It should be more than .52g/cyl no?
    Last edited by Z06VENOM; 04-27-2015 at 02:59 PM.