Thread: New guy with Painless 5.3 swap data wanting more

Potential Tuner

New guy with Painless 5.3 swap data wanting more

I have a 2006 5.3 and 4L60E. I got the harness and program done by Painless. It runs ok but I don't think they have messed with any PE or anything else. I would like to see if anyone would be interested in looking at my program and helping me get the most out of what I have. Stock engine, cold air intake, shorty headers, 3" exhaust with flow through mufflers. I do have a wideband AFG. Engine has 100K miles on it and is in my 1981 2wd K5 Blazer. I have put 1,000 miles on the engine since the swap, I just think that there is more that I could do. Any help would be appreciated. I have my file attached. Thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files

Use the compare feature with this tune I threw together.

Look at the Power enrichment changes, torque mngt changes and spark changes. You can copy those settings and give them a shot. Do not change your MBT tables though, my file had different settings than yours that you don't need to touch in the spark timing section. Also you can leave your spark retard tables alone under Torque mngt, they changed those for you based on the swap. Look at the max torque and ETC limits changes I made.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by 5FDP; 05-16-2020 at 07:30 PM.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    5FDP..... That helped ALOT. Before, my AFG would peg at 18 when I got on it. After I made the PE and tQ mngt changes from your file, it stayed between 12-14 throughout the pull. A very noticeable gain for sure. Thanks a lot. When I compared both, I think I have the jest of what you were doing. If you think of anything else that I could possibly do, just let me know. Man, thanks again.

Ideally the wide open throttle air fuel ratio's should stay right around what it is commanding.

I changed the commanded fueling for power enrichment to about 12.23, so the wideband should be around that 12.1-12.3 range give or take slightly. If the wideband is bouncing into the 13's or high under full throttle you should try to fix that. Commanding fueling will stay the same but there may be spots in your MAF airflow curve and VE table that need fuel added to make them match. You also need to be sure you are not dropping fuel pressure under heavy load if the air fuel ratio leans out.

Watch you logs, make sure you are looking at timing, knock retard, injector pulse width, o2 sensors etc etc to make sure that is all okay. If there is lots of knock or something like that, you'll need to work on that.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.