Thread: tune help with idle surge on thumpr cammed 6.0 lq4

Tuner in Training

tune help with idle surge on thumpr cammed 6.0 lq4

Installed a thumper cam in a bone stock lq4 with cable throttle thats in a silverado.
    cam spec is 275/295 .050 219/233 with a 109.0
    lift is .554 .537
    truck has a 2400 stall tq converter and headers with full exhaust.
    The tune ive worked up runs well but at parking lot speed i get a surge up and down idle .Also if im in reverse or drive and release brake tap gas the truck wants to stall out.Starts ok and idles decent .Chop in the idle is ok "Customer likes it messy"
    I have done the idle tuning using russ k idle config and also followed some of the suggestions here regarding cammed engines and ve mods .
    Can someone look over this tune and give me a few pointers as to how to clear this up?
    Again i know it isnt the best performance cam but thats not the intent here.

Suggestions welcomed
    Attached Files Attached Files

POWERZONE- AUTOMOTIVE PERFORMANCE AND TUNING SOLUTIONS
    STREET TUNING/DYNO TUNING/TRACK TUNING/REMOTE TUNING/EMAIL TUNING
    [email protected]

Tuner in Training
    heres the file unlocked
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner
    i have similar problem in my lq4 slightly larger cam.. and stall.. ive tried everything I can think of .. downloaded countless tunes and compared to see if im missing anything.. posted on here three different questions about different issues and only responses I got were internet police telling me what I hadn't included in my post .. when I did give the info all I heard were crickets... hope you have more luck than me.. one thing about your tune I notice is you and almost every other lq4 tune I looked at were at 24-26 ish timing at wot, im at 14.. im slowly creeping up as I don't get to test much. but it gives me hope as the car is pretty quick now.. good luck with your problem.. hope you get some replys
    67 camaro 6.0lq4 turbo build in process
    89 mustang coupe ls1 80mmturbo, holley dominator efi on e85
    02 lexus is300 lq4, cam,headers,fast 92 intake
    and no there isnt anything in my yard unmodified

Tuner
    also I know they want your config and scan file from vcm scanner of the problem when its happening
    67 camaro 6.0lq4 turbo build in process
    89 mustang coupe ls1 80mmturbo, holley dominator efi on e85
    02 lexus is300 lq4, cam,headers,fast 92 intake
    and no there isnt anything in my yard unmodified

Senior Tuner
    Nothing looks too out of whack to me, but you may try raising the Proportional and Integral Adaptive Idle thresholds. That should help the swings a little. Also, the Over and Underspeed idle spark is a little aggressive in the low RPMs. You may find some stability working there, as well. Your VE may need a little more work to clean up the transitions. It looks like you just made a bulk change to the bottom couple columns and have a pretty steep transition above that. Finally, I will say that the converter choice may be a little too tight for a cam like that and you may struggle to get what you're after because of the "drag" at idle and light throttle areas.
    Jaime

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by ElecTech View Post
    Nothing looks too out of whack to me, but you may try raising the Proportional and Integral Adaptive Idle thresholds. That should help the swings a little. Also, the Over and Underspeed idle spark is a little aggressive in the low RPMs. You may find some stability working there, as well. Your VE may need a little more work to clean up the transitions. It looks like you just made a bulk change to the bottom couple columns and have a pretty steep transition above that. Finally, I will say that the converter choice may be a little too tight for a cam like that and you may struggle to get what you're after because of the "drag" at idle and light throttle areas.
    as far as raising the proportional idle and integral idle thresholds ,Whats a decent amount to start with?? the bulk change was done in the lower cells because everthing i read here suggested to lower the first three colums by 60,80,90 percent then revisit.I did smooth out the ve tables in the lower cells and made a few changes to make the transition a little smoother as well and it has helped.the converter may be changed but according to comp 2000 or 2200 is recommended . As far as idle over and underspeeds i do see that the figures are very far apart ,Less agressive would equal closer in changes vs the -30/8.0 swing correct?
    Again im new to cam tuning so bear with me

Tuner
    First try making your Idle spark table match your Main spark table. I've noticed that at low speeds , the pcm references both those tables and if the values are different then you get rapid changes in spark advance. If that doesn't do it , then set your main spark table to the same value (22-24*) from .08 - .24 g/cyl @ 800rpm to 1800rpm and interpolate from 1800 to 2400. Then make your idle spark table match.
    2001 Z06 : 856/830 : Built LQ9 403ci : D1SC 17psi : Self-built , self-tuned.

Advanced Tuner
    post a scan
    2018 Camaro SS, Maggie 2650, 103 TB, Big Gulp, E85

Tuning Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by ElecTech View Post
    Raise proportional / lower integral - integral is a time event for "quick" adjustments and how you more fine tune the proportional table - guess that's the best way to put it... I typically start with a 4 to 5 percent increase on proportional then a 5 to 10 percent decrease on integral. You want your rpms to really become unstable, then raise integral or set it all to 1's... Or atleast that's what I've experianced. Don't know you might have better luck the other way.

Looks like from the timing swings (-30,+8) you might also want to lower your base running airflow table by 1 to 1.5gs, then increase your main idle timing in main timing table and then lower your whole idle advance table to where it's a 10ish degree max addition... More or less takes the big swings out of the picture.

This is just how I do it. Everyone seems to have their own way that works.
    Last edited by GHuggins; 04-06-2015 at 09:30 PM.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Potential Tuner
    Did you end up fixing the issue? I am brand new to tuning and just installed same cam in my 02 lq4 and may go off of this tune or should I start from scratch?