Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: changing vss

Advanced Tuner
    i sent you a pm btw mate.

Tuner in Training
    ok ill try with some more settings
    on my bf test ecu i got half way thru a write and it stopped with an error
    had to change the one of the speed settings back and it worked
    so there is one setting it would not let me program like a mismatch in speed settings
    i have a sniper file but it comes up with checksum error when i read the ecu with hps and then tried ot open file

Tuner in Training
    also u need a speed signal input if u r running any type of late model ford auto otherwise it wont change gears
    its not like the gm 6l80 which has its own internal speed sensor
    unless there is a setting u can change

Advanced Tuner
    for the zf6 and 5spd auto there is an internal speed source.
    pretty sure 44 in fg is the zf6 setting and 45 is the 5sp.
    if you load the sniper tune with the last version of 2.25 it will read it and fix the checksum then allow you to save it.

Does anyone happen to know the meanings of the VSS Source values in the FG? If someone knows, I can get that parameter added for you guys, otherwise I will add it in a way that just shows the values and it will be up to you guys to figure out what they mean.
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

Advanced Tuner
    i reckon add the values and we'll go from there.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric@HPTuners View Post
    Does anyone happen to know the meanings of the VSS Source values in the FG? If someone knows, I can get that parameter added for you guys, otherwise I will add it in a way that just shows the values and it will be up to you guys to figure out what they mean.
    any chance this had been done?
    i've no idea how many vss sources you guys can see but havent added.

Tuner
    I'm also interested in the outcome of this. I bought HP the other week, so add me to the list of people who are looking for a result. I'm happy to help out where I can.

Tuner in Training
    FG PCMs rely on a vehicle speed CAN data stream from the ABS module as the PCM doesn't physically have a VSS input.

So two options

Option A - run the ABS system with all four speed sensors.

Or Option B - Reverse engineer the CAN messages to find the VSS information from the ABS module. Then inject this info over CAN using something like a Ardunio Duo. Which is what I did.
    Last edited by BOTDF; 08-07-2016 at 06:52 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    fg 5spd pcm have pins for turbine shaft speed, intermediate shaft speed and output shaft speed. i havent had a chance to play with any of that properly as yet but am hoping there is some hope there.

is the information regarding the arduino build and coding something you'd be willing to share?

Tuner in Training
    I won't share the code, CAN message IDs nor the transfer functions sorry. I spent far too much time figuring them out and determining how the strategy functions.
    Chris at HP tuners may be able to figure out a way of using the broadcasted OSS CAN data as the rear right and rear left wheel speeds internally. At least one of those will need to be injected into the CAN for everything to work.

Tuner in Training
    i think the easiest way is to wire up the matching abs module an just run one wheel speed sensor to the abs module

sniper software can turn off the speed signal with afew other settings awell

ive been told hps can too so will try it one day
    uwith sniper u can tell it to disregard the sped signal and u get no limp mode and full boost without a speeed signal
    as hooking a speed signal up can be a pain sometimes
    i dont have the snipr software so just rely on another shop to mod the file i send to them

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by BOTDF View Post
    I won't share the code, CAN message IDs nor the transfer functions sorry. I spent far too much time figuring them out and determining how the strategy functions.
    What a great solution!

This forum is about people helping each other.
    Unless sharing will somehow harm you, why not pass on the info?
    Keeping what you have worked out a secret does not seem to benefit anyone, including you.
    If you are after compensation for your time, maybe release a product or service to do what people are after?
    Last edited by oztuner; 09-19-2016 at 05:37 PM.

Potential Tuner
    get used to it, anything to do with barra tuning seems to be like pulling teeth. When i was learning to tune with the old j3 chips for ea-el it was easy to get answers, i had a dude who spent his day's and nights via facebook showing me the ropes and sending me tunes to show me how it all worked even gave me his personal definition's he put together that had more parameters for tuning than what you could find online... never asked for a cent either

Tuner in Training
    yer i said stuff it and put the hp cable away
    this ecu i have is a late bf s2 which is close to an fg and i cant adjust the speedo settings as good as you can on a ba
    so i got my sniper cable and will do it that way
    costing me 600 bucks in credits towards tuning this ecu but i got to keep customer happy
    so when tuning factory fords try hps its ok i guess
    when tuning aftermarket fords throw hps in the draw and get something else

Tuner
    So you reckon sniper is way better for setting up engine conversions?

Tuner in Training
    depends how much money u want to spend
    your better off paying someone to tune your engine because if u want to do it yourself with sct or sniper its a shitload to buy the software

hp tuners is good but u just have to run the abs module or somehow get a speed sensor into the ecu
    or ask the wallys over on the patrol forums about how to fix it, they seem to know everything haha
    Last edited by sideshow; 09-22-2016 at 07:00 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    which issues did you have with the bf2 pcm? i've done it off the gearbox vss with late bf2 with no issues.

Tuner in Training
    hey Mick where is the sensor on the gearbox
    i know there is no speed sensor on the box externally

also do the zf 6 speeds have an internal speed sensor which allows it to change gears properly
    or do u still need to feed a speed signal into the engine ecu

ive just paid to get a bf2 tune modified using sniper to run without speed signal and i flashed it into the hot rod i just did for someone and its transformed the car
    doesnt have 3g limit
    pity latets hps cant read the file once u use sniper

these programmers are getting sneaky

Tuner
    Looking through an FG strategy the other day and it had the option to change VSS signal source.. anyone tried it?