Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boost PID

Boost PID

I have tried to add a boost PID to scanner for logging boost. I have the word boost showing up in the 4th chart with -14.5 next to it but doesn't change as i log. i've tried both function

strings that are shown in Tips and Tricks in the scanner help section, but they both do the same thing. Any ideas on why i'm not getting and log data. I can send my log to my tuner and his

scanner is showing him boost traces and data on his scanner but he doesn't know how to explain to me how to get mine to work.

no body knows anything about this ? Is this question in the wrong section?

Tuning Addict
    Are you datalogging the pids being looked at for boost to work - ie map kpa and rpm? Do you have the latest version of 2.24? I know some of my pids weren't working until I got the latest build of 2.24... What equation are you using to set up the boost pid?

Just went through this with another member and his didn't work for some reason until after "from how I took it" he restarted everything.

Then it was discussed using a different conversion setup. Instead of the [PID.11.IMP]-14.5 "or minus whatever your baro is", I think some were having better luck using something more on the grounds of [PID.11x.14503773773020923]-"your baro in kpa"x.14503773773020923

This should give you boost, then plot this against rpm or whatever. I haven't personally had a chance yet to confirm whether or not this works, but it should.

Hope this helps.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Tuning Addict
    OK, just tested and found this one to be near spot on...

([PID.11]*.14503773773020923)-(90*.14503773773020923)

Where the 90 is in the equation enter your barometric pressure. You may have to add 1 or 2 but your final reading should be 0psi key on engine off.

Hope this helps
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~

Hey GHuggins thanks again for your help. Yes i am logging RPM and MAP in kPa and they are working fine. The version showing that i'm using is 2.24.57. I have tried these equations [PID.11.PSI]-14.5 [PID.11.IMP]-14.5 and [SEN.30.IMP]-14.5. All i get with these is -14.5 showing in the chart display. Looks like there is a trace running but it is flat lined ,no movement like the -14.5. Did you type in that long ass equation you put in your last post to make it work? What happens when you try to use the equations i tried? Interested if you get the same result a me

Tuning Addict
    I tried using the older methods to get a boost reading like the equations you have listed, but found they no longer work or show up as a non supported pid.

Just right click and copy the equation I listed then enter in your barometric pressure reading. I have been using that since I posted it with no issues.

~Greg Huggins~

I entered in your equation and i'm still not getting an active reading. The number in the chart display showing boost changed from the -14.5 that is was reading to -2.1, but nothing changes as i log.

And the other thing where my trucked would die if i blipped the throttle in neutral is backing doing that again. I added air to the table you told me and everything was good for a week and a half and it's back to dying when blipping the pedal. RPMS will go up then come down below 300 and bounce up and down a little and then dies. Is something adapting to something somewhere?

Tuning Addict
    You used this one - ([PID.11]*.14503773773020923)-(90*.14503773773020923) and where the 90 is you entered in "your" barometric pressure reading? I did post two different equations - the one in this post is the one that works. The only time I had any issues with it at all was when I did a 2 bar OS conversion and the conversion automatically changed my map sensor setup. Really, REALLY wish they didn't do that... It was reading -2 key on engine off and displaying a 75kpa baro on the scanner. Next question, your scanner is setup as metric for the kpa reading correct? Not to mention you do have your map chosen as the one as ASE kpa "I believe" that's how it's worded in the scanner? It's been working fine for me. I believe you might have your scanner setup as imperial? Is that right? It has to be the other, I believe, to work. NOW I am just plotting mine on the table page. Is it possible whatever your trying to plot out in a histogram is causing you problems? Do you have it setup in your main table so it will plot in a histogram?

As to your rpm dip. What is your A/F doing at that time. A/F being off will cause it to do just that. Once it relearns fueling, your problems can come back... Bet that's your whole problem. What's your fuel trims at idle or going to idle?

However... You can power tune your idle to help, then change your proportional and integral idle airflows to nearly get rid of it all together after all else is correct, BUT your fueling has to be right!!! That one's the most important. Hint, hint.

~Greg Huggins~

Yes i used that equation. My MAP is reading kPA it reads 100kpa with key on. I don't even know what a Histogram is. Yes MAP is SAE kpa. Don't think it's in imp. It just acts like it's not reading anything at all. I had a guy from this forum and the CTS-V get me really dialed in. His name was gmtech16450yz,He did like 20 remote tunes,but i haven't heard back from him in a couple weeks.He told me the easiest thing to do was to change my MAP to psi and subtract 14.7 I wrote back i didn't want to do this and haven't heard from him. He knows his shit. I couldn't remote start, this was my main complaint when i first started emailing him,him dialed my freezing cold remote starts in.He fixed my coast down because i was getting a lot of racing,like my truck would go 50mph without touching the pedal. I haven't heard from him i know he's real busy so i came here trying to figure out how to fix these small issue.

One other thing i can't do is blip the throttle in neutral then try to slide it in drive without instant engine shutting off.

Also when the trans downshifts at real slow speeds the RPMSgo up as they should on a down shift, but then they come down and bounce up and down a little, all most kills the engine but not quite.

I know i said a lot but i'm a noob at messing with the tune and scanner settings

Tuning Addict
    Look... The equation I gave you converts it to psi. Thus the long equation...
    Heres my scanner config for you to compare.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by GHuggins; 03-27-2015 at 09:29 AM.

~Greg Huggins~

I have a separate boost pid in the display that is not reading anything but -2.1. My MAP pid is working and is reading kpa which i think it should be since i haven't messed with it. How do i post my config and a log like you did? How do i attach file to this message? This is confusing.

Tuning Addict
    You can just use mine if you wish. The boost reading in mine is in the lower right corner. Mine also has some other "hard" to come by setups like correct AF error display and fuel economy that another member came up with. I only free revved it in the previous datalog for you, but I did just get this one. This is a car I'm in the process of tuning. You can see it makes about 10.5psi in the datalog... As for posting, just go to your "Go Advance" icon below the posting area then go to manage attachments and "attach" what you need to.

~Greg Huggins~

I have a separate boost pid in the display that is not reading anything but -2.1. My MAP pid is working and is reading kpa which i think it should be since i haven't messed with it. How do i post my config and a log like you did? How do i attach file to this message? This is confusing.

i was experimenting with Go Advanced thing to attach files. Not sure how i did what i did,but it is one of the configs i am using. I used the one you sent and i don't see the word Boost anywhere. Under Displays are you looking at the charts page? I can't get a log or tune to attach, File Manger screen just seems like it is taking forever to load,going on and on

Tuning Addict
    OK, I haven't tried yours but everything looks like it's setup correctly other than the fact that you need to enter 100 where my 90 is if your baro is 100kpa. Talk about equations... Most of what you have setup in your histograms are extremely long... Do your long term and short term combined corrections work? Even your default seemed to be setup in metric under your tools tab. Not sure why it's not working other than most of the older versions of 2.24 wouldn't display what they were supposed to. I had that very issue with mine not displaying commanded fuel. Might want to go to hp's website and go to your home page and reload your scanner and just see if that's what's going on.

In order to use my config you have to click on it then (save as) "not open". At that point save it to your scanner config category, open your scanner then open scanner config file. If it was taking that long to load, it just wasn't loading correctly. The boost on mine is in the lower right hand area labeled boost. At that point you can open up one of my logs and see that it works. My boost pid is only on the main table page. Never added it to my charts - there's already enough going on there and I can always add it later if need be...

~Greg Huggins~

Tuning Addict
    OK, just figured something out after screwing mine up. It does need to be setup as Imperial under your tools tab. See what happens with this.

~Greg Huggins~

All the configs that i have have Imperial checked under tools, none of them have the metric bubble checked,not sure why your seeing that. I did download your ZL1 Datalog config. I even ran a log using it, i still don't see boost anywhere on it. What display are you looking at.I looked at the table display, the bottom right says Barometric Pressure SAE don't see boost anywhere. As far as Histrogram, i don't know a think about it. What is it? I 'm going to try and reload my scanner.

Tuning Addict
    Hmmmm. My boost pid is just above the baro and right below the fuel economy. Here's my latest with the pids... The only reason why I could think of it not displaying is if it's unsupported, in other words you either need the latest scanner from HP or your vehicle isn't equiped. Really don't see it being the vehicle since it only uses the map sensor combined with an equation. Reload your 2.24 setup, then re-evaluate. I take it you got your scanner from someone else? Your histograms are the numbered tabs at the top (chart or grid displays - "spark knock, timing, etc")

Here's my latest config. I was missing injector duty cycle which just bit me in the butt big time on one.

~Greg Huggins~

I just downloaded your data log config again, there are two unsupported parameters between Engine Oil Pressure and Baro. I put an Edelbrock supercharger on my truck and it uses a Bosch TMAP. That is a MAP and a blower temp combined sensor. Do you think that has something to do with it?

No, bought my Hp Tuners scanner brand new. What is a histogram used for?