Thread: lsj e85 help

Tuner in Training

lsj e85 help

Okay first off I am not looking for a handout of tunes to try. I have a tune ive been working on for some time right now. Ive been reading anything I can for about 2 weeks before I converted.
    I had the car right on empty but no light on and put 5 gallons in the car. Flashed my tune and the car fired right up. My fuel trims were -10 or so and most of the time more. I increase the maff by 10% to start off rich with I then took out later.
    I set stoich to 10.4 due to AREA47 on anything I could read from him.

My question is some people say 10.4 and 9.7. I don't know which one to do. Everytime I do more research a bunch of people are telling different things to do.
    My other question is the PE. Ive seen people say to leave it to gas specs and then some say 1.25 and 1.3.
    Ive got it set to 1.3 right now and it was pig rich at WOT.

I also increased my timing a ton in cruise and just about everywhere.

I just would like some advise. My trims are off right now rich due to probably still having some gas in it.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    you will have to modify the computer stoich value like you have or else it will always try to lean it our for pump gas unleaded settings.
    i would shift timing up about 3* to compensate over stock for the burn time of Ethanol pump but wouldnt touch it after that until you finish the fuel system adjustments.
    running hot ignition while still in base calibration is dangerous and can cause unnecessary damage.

you can do this 2 ways, start with creating a new base fuel table calibration which requires disabling maf sensor controls, or you can set the maf engage really low and run a heavily calibrated maf sensor tune. either way you can verify your calibration using fuel trims. on the lsj make sure you reset the fuel trims using the scanner commands before recording data.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Tuner in Training
    I have moved the timing quite a bit and have no knock so far. I have not been beating on it though till my fuel is straightened out. My trims are very very close like within 3%.

I do have to fill up with e85 as my 5 gallons are gone so that should make everything way more consistent.

I was running a maff only tune but it seemed like I was always pulling fuel at idle so I have been tuning the VE and have it switch over to Maff at 2500 or so. This has helped out my idle a ton. The trims don't seem to be hunting and adjusting all the time.
    One thing I do have though is when I put in in neutral to stop it idles down to fast or to far and shoots down to like 400-500. It did it quite a few times this morning and shows that my fuel was off so I adjusted the VE table to see if it goes away.

One thought I have is can I set my VE to switch to maff at like 1200rpms to only use the VE for idle or will that just not help like im hoping it would.

Second I need help figuring out how to set up a histogram for filtering out data for the VE to not read over the switch point. Can this be done.

I did convert my WB to lambda to and it is very close to what it should be. 1.0 in cruise and light throttle and 0.8 at wot

Yes you can set your maf crossover just above idle and tune ve for idle circuit. There are lots of tunes like that.. I consider it a variation of maf tune. You will have to filter the maf data to remove anything below your crossover point from being scanned.
    filter would be something like (rpm pid/sensor) > 1200
    Then everything below that would be removed. Multiple filters are separated by "," iirc

Tuner in Training
    how do I find the pid of a sensor. When you click on them it does not say. I have been just looking up every one I need so far

Senior Tuner
    The stoich value is set for variances in blends. There is more science behind it, but that is the basics of it. Shut off ltft and work on stft and the ve below 2500. it's going to take some work to get dialed in. LEAVE A PURPOSEFUL ERROR MARGIN IN THE SCALING. as it will change every time you fill it up.
    The most hated, make the most power.
    93 Ranger. 5.3 D1X. 1069hp.

when your connected to the car you can search through the pids/sensor list when selecting what you wish to record. If its supported by the vehicle it will show up in the list associated with the table primary insert function. they turn red when you add them to the table primary so you know which ones you have already added. i always select sensor data first, then pids.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Tuner in Training
    Filling up with e85 helped my trims a ton. Before with a couple of gallons of gas the maff stft and ltft were all over the place. After I filled up there very consistent 3% or so.
    I am 100% maff at the moment and getting ready to start VE tuning any day now. I really love this e85. I am running timing to ramp up to 25* and have no knock yet with a 2.8" pulley. I can tell a difference for sure. Even the mid range I added a lot of timing and it gets moving really good

Thanks guys for all the help. Next on my list to do's is wire in my wideband to the ac pressure switch.