Thread: Throttle Cleaned Reset

Advanced Tuner

Throttle Cleaned Reset

I have been chasing down an issue with my 2003 Silverado. Even before I installed the 5.7 ls6, the original motor (4.8), had an issue where the engine would stall (or almost stall) during low speed turns or u turns. This would also occasionally happen when transitioning from P/R/D.

When I installed the LS6, I reused the original truck intake/throttle body assembly. So if the problem was related to the dirty throttle body as mentioned in the TSB, it would have carried over to the new motor.

I found this TSB http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/Bl...e_cleaning.pdf. It appears to be a common issue, so I cleaned the throttle body. No change. I then replaced the TB with a re-manufactured one. No change. Then I ordered a brand new OEM TB, still no change. [starting to think i barked up the wrong tree]

Then I came across a few posts on this message board about needing to have the dealer perform a software update to the PCM that includes a "throttle body coking" change. I noticed that HP Tuners has recently added a new feature called the "Throttle Cleaned Reset" to allow its users to bypass the need for the dealer visit when replacing or cleaning a dirty old throttle body.

I just purchased the Standard MPVI from Summit. Before I click reset, I'd like to know exactly what this feature does.

Would anyone care to elaborate? I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Advanced Tuner
    ....and secondly, do you guys think I am on the right track thinking that my DBW throttle body is to blame for my idle issue? The truck was tuned by very reputable Certified tuner.

Senior Tuner
    Who certifies tuners? And I've never had a reason to use the TB Clean Reset on anything other than a NNBS truck. (GMT 900)

Advanced Tuner
    The Tuning School does for starters, but that's not really what this post is about. So what does the button do?
    2011 Camaro SS
    Thompson Motorsports Dart 427
    ESS Tuning G4 Supercharger 1158whp/1017wtq
    DSX Tuning stuff

Senior Tuner
    Many times after cleaning TBs on GMT 900 trucks they will idle high. Doing the TC Clean Reset restores them to a normal idle. Those are the only vehicles I've ever seen it needed on. I would guess your low idle issue is probably in the tune but knowing a Certified tuner tuned it, I'm probably wrong.

Advanced Tuner
    CertifiedTune!!.hpt

Your sarcasm in undetectable. I got my MPVI in the mail and pulled the tune. It looks like the target idle and idle airflow should be upped.

The cam is a 215/223 609/592 112.
    2011 Camaro SS
    DSX Tuning stuff

Advanced Tuner
    and since my torque converter wont lock up, I imagine the medium misfire table needs to be adjusted.
    2011 Camaro SS
    DSX Tuning stuff

Senior Tuner
    There's a software update for the 2003's that helps a lot...though you'd need to then also apply your tune changes over it, it replaces the operating system with a newer one.

The throttle cleaned reset button clears out the idle airflow trims...learned values. The PCM over time learns these values as an adder to the desired idle airflow. They increase as the TB gets dirty as it needs to be held further open to maintain the same airflow. If you clean a TB and don't click reset, it will idle high at first and slowly learn itself back down...doesn't take too long...clicking the button just zero's out the data, and with a stock engine (or modified but with the idle airflow tables setup properly) it'll be correct right away.

Now...that said...if you truck was tuned with a dirty throttle body, the idle trims may have been zero'd, and the idle airflow table may have been calibrated around that...so now you may have incorrect data in the idle airflow table.

I don't want to be a jerk, but certified tuners? Who certified the tuning school to certify tuners? What does that certification mean? If they have an opinion of what's right...that's great...and sure they can say "these people know how to do what we think is right"...but that doesn't mean everyone else agrees.
    2010 Camaro SS M6. Stock Bottom End, Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers/Exhaust.
    2005 Silverado RCSB. Forged 370 LQ9/Borg-Forced Inductions T6 S484/Jake's Stage 4 4L80E with D3 Brake/4WD.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks for explaining what takes place behind the button. I don't think that's my issue then. I'm pretty sure the tune is responsible. The tuner has the idle at 575, with 9.30 grams. Even though my cam specs are mild, i think it needs to be increased. Along with the misfires still being detected, when there are no real misfires.

I was aware of the software update, but also heard I would need to spend 2 more credits after that OS upgrade to reapply my tune. HPT should have the ability to tune around that. Now that I own it, I plan to give it a shot.

As far as the certified thing goes, I was just repeating what I was told. It appears to be sales jargon.
    2011 Camaro SS
    DSX Tuning stuff

Senior Tuner
    I would e-mail [email protected] about that, as I'm not sure if you'll need 2 more credits or not. Include your existing file that you have, and try to look up on GM TIS to see if the OS upgrade applies.
    2005 Silverado RCSB. Forged 370 LQ9/Borg-Forced Inductions T6 S484/Jake's Stage 4 4L80E with D3 Brake/4WD.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

Senior Tuner
    Actually, I just checked https://tis2web.service.gm.com/tis2web for you. Your VIN 1GCGK13U93F239075 shows the following history:

12593058 N/A New software to address idle surge condition caused by throttle body choking
    12580055 N/A Operating System (replaces 12578128 or 12579405)
    12578128 N/A Operating system

The file you posted already has OS 12593058...so there's nothing for you to update, it sounds like a tune problem.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

Advanced Tuner
    Woah, good work Mike. I appreciate the research. I've increased the target idle speed to 675, and added a few grams of idle air flow. Ill try this new file out tonight and see how it likes it. According to all the suggested started points ive read online 575 rpms and 9.30 g/s is kind of low for a cammed auto.

Agree?

Advanced Tuner
    Redline+Misfire+TargetIdle+IdleAirflow.hptI wrote this tune to the truck and it really helped get rid of the low shakey idle feeling. Its much more quiet and smooth at idle in park. My torque converter now engages when commanded also. The downside is I've noticed a little tiny bit of cruise control feeling. Is that from the new increase in Running Airflow?
    2011 Camaro SS
    DSX Tuning stuff

Senior Tuner
    Yes, reduce your RAF by .2g/sec at a time until this subsides. You've overshot your target by just a bit there. You'll easily find the happy medium
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks! I really appreciate the advice guys. I'll try that tonight. I also notice that the Engine Type is set to OHV 4.8L Shouldn't that be set to the actual engine size of 5.7L?
    2011 Camaro SS
    DSX Tuning stuff

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by justhereforinfo View Post
    Thanks! I really appreciate the advice guys. I'll try that tonight. I also notice that the Engine Type is set to OHV 4.8L Shouldn't that be set to the actual engine size of 5.7L?
    Doesn't really matter at all...long as it's got the same firing order (all Gen 3 and 4 V8's do). There's a spot where you can change the actual displacement for the VE calculations to work out correctly for a change in displacement...but if the VE table is already calibrated, don't change the displacement.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

Potential Tuner
    Trying to find the "throttle cleaned reset button" on the latest scan software. I can't seem to find it, and the software has changes significantly since this original post

Quote Originally Posted by rickr View Post
    Trying to find the "throttle cleaned reset button" on the latest scan software. I can't seem to find it, and the software has changes significantly since this original post
    It's under Control/Special Functions menu, airflow tab in the scanner.