Thread: help. failed to write vcm. XR6T BA

Tuner

help. failed to write vcm. XR6T BA

hi all, just tried re-writing vcm in XR6 turbo manual which has failed.
    have tried re-flashing same tune into vehicle with no luck in recovery mode after restarting VCM suite.

now it is showing "unable to locate VCM"

will this pcm be recoverable? or am I up for a new one?

any ideas or help would be great thanks.

Advanced Tuner
    Whats the battery like? #1 cause of failed flashes in BA's is low battery volts. The MVPI needs to supply 18v to the EFP pin on the PCM to put it into field flash mode and will struggle to do so with low battery volts. (18v signal is generated inside the MVPI)

Turn off EVERYTHING in the car (ie stereo,ac fans,interior light etc etc), put a battery charger on the car and they try again
    04 Velocity MKII M6 & 06 BF F6 555 ZF6

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by hiddeous View Post
    Whats the battery like? #1 cause of failed flashes in BA's is low battery volts. The MVPI needs to supply 18v to the EFP pin on the PCM to put it into field flash mode and will struggle to do so with low battery volts. (18v signal is generated inside the MVPI)

Turn off EVERYTHING in the car (ie stereo,ac fans,interior light etc etc), put a battery charger on the car and they try again

yep everything off, with charger connected. have been in contact with injectronics and the pcm I am flashing " ABU-214" is very prone to malfunction apparently.

Advanced Tuner
    I wouldn't write the pcm off just yet.

Silly question but you didn't have the scanner connected? I've had a BA PCM fall over numerous times (was also an ABU pcm but was a manual 6sp pcm) and I have to use a different laptop to recover it then. It was fine after that so i'd suggest trying another laptop (if you can)

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by hiddeous View Post
    I wouldn't write the pcm off just yet.

Silly question but you didn't have the scanner connected? I've had a BA PCM fall over numerous times (was also an ABU pcm but was a manual 6sp pcm) and I have to use a different laptop to recover it then. It was fine after that so i'd suggest trying another laptop (if you can)
    scanner was connected. was thinking of changing laptops tonight, I have also tried just a generic scan tool and it is unable to find any pcm.

Advanced Tuner
    yeah can happen from time to time try another 20+ times with a good laptop without much running in the background of it & make sure you have a power cable connected to laptop & extra power source to car without any ancilleries on & do a write entire & it will go into recovery mode & should be o.k.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by tris909 View Post
    scanner was connected. was thinking of changing laptops tonight, I have also tried just a generic scan tool and it is unable to find any pcm.
    You wont be able to find it if you have a failed flash. If you have tried to flash it whilst the scanner is connected you will get an error say "unable to locate pcm"

I'd suggest another laptop or as Grant suggested.

Tuner
    success, was able to re-write entire and vehicle is now running, although all lights are on dash, no tacho or speedo and no audio/climate controls. found out after re-flash mechanic had lost/left out 3rd from left plug out of bcm during flash process. the cal I loaded was with PATS disabled so it ran, tried doing full re-write entire with no luck on connection. what do you sugest the next step? persist with re-writing entire?
    thanks Hiddeous and Grant for your help with this one.

Tuner
    update: was able to re-flash entire again and car is all back up and running. this time we took the risk of re-flashing with no secondary power connected to vehicle with all loads off and it worked first shot.
    Thanks again for your help.

Advanced Tuner
    Glad I could be of some assistance, I think we've all been there & some times it just takes a leap of faith!

Advanced Tuner
    Winning!

EDIT:I left my car for a week once after a failed flash (had to go away for work) took the tune first try when I got back. Ba's just get cranky I think.