Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Idle Timing

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Charles View Post
    Figured this out some and it was Pure Accident. Idle timing of course as well as most things in the ECU are controlled by Tq. I increased my Tq coefficient tables roughly 10% and noticed Tq management spark at idle was not as aggressive. I looked back at some logs and notice Max Engine tq around 330 at idle, timing around 12-16 degrees (15-20 degrees removed for Tq management spark). With the above change max engine Tq is 385 at idle, timing is 20-23 degrees (8-10 degrees removed for Tq Management spark)

Something else I noticed was cruising at 70 mph Max engine Tq was 365 roughly and now with the above changes its 425.

From the E78 tuning guide

I always had trouble making Max engine Tq higher than predicted other than light throttle or idle, now with changes like above I can get Max higher than predicted ALL THE TIME.

For what its worth the A8 transmission shifts Noticeably BETTER.
    What issues did you have when you raised the max engine torque higher than predicted?

The reason I ask is because I have a similar table on my Gen 4 Viper, but can't quite figure out what it does. The PCM uses torque based calculations, but we don't have access to a lot of things in the code. We can disable torque management (the calculations are still made, but not applied), but when you do so, it also gets rid of the PCM's ability to quickly adjust the idle with timing corrections...I'm just trying to figure out how I might be able to leave torque management in place at idle, but eliminate it at WOT since it is pulling a boatload of timing under load.
    2008 Viper - now with HPToona - 1/4 Mile Shenanigans Here
    11.02 @ 130

Quote Originally Posted by MeentSS02 View Post
    What issues did you have when you raised the max engine torque higher than predicted?

The reason I ask is because I have a similar table on my Gen 4 Viper, but can't quite figure out what it does. The PCM uses torque based calculations, but we don't have access to a lot of things in the code. We can disable torque management (the calculations are still made, but not applied), but when you do so, it also gets rid of the PCM's ability to quickly adjust the idle with timing corrections...I'm just trying to figure out how I might be able to leave torque management in place at idle, but eliminate it at WOT since it is pulling a boatload of timing under load.

For all dodge vipers i tuned i left torque management enabled for idle and low load areas on high load areas just remove it and also u have to play with throttle opening it wakes them up and u will have full opening at low rpms stock throttle wont open fully until like 3500rpm

Quote Originally Posted by jarrah View Post
    For all dodge vipers i tuned i left torque management enabled for idle and low load areas on high load areas just remove it and also u have to play with throttle opening it wakes them up and u will have full opening at low rpms stock throttle wont open fully until like 3500rpm
    Gen 4 and 5 Vipers? If so, how? The torque spark calculations that I'm seeing are enable/disable only, you can't specify where/how you remove it. What am I missing?

Also, any changes to throttle response have been met with limp mode for everyone I know of.
    2008 Viper - now with HPToona - 1/4 Mile Shenanigans Here
    11.02 @ 130