Thread: 2011 Chevy Camaro 2SS - Transmission tune

Tuner

2011 Chevy Camaro 2SS - Transmission tune

Hello my friends,
    Im total newbie regarding on transmission tune and im trying to improve the 1-2, 3-4, 4-5 and 5-6 shifts of the Camaro.
    Im looking for agressive WOT shifts so it can almost chirp tyres .
    The car is pretty much Stock excepts for the K&N CAI and a cheap exhaust

As i said im total newbie on Trans tune so, any advices on what PID's can i log and which parameters can i tune based on the logs to achieve my goals ?
    here's a Dyno log of the Camaro and the latest Transmission tune i've tried.

Camaro 3.hpl2011 Camaro 2SS V8 - v2.7 Closed Loop.hpt

Tuner
    Bump

Here is some info I have collected over the years regarding the 6l80e.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________________

"The way I firm up these trans is to add 60 psi shift pressure to the entire X & Y base shift pressure tables. Then halve the entire shift time torque adder upshift normal & special tables. Leave the downshift tables stock. Also return the desired output torque factor tables to stock.

Also I would only add 60 psi the the max line pressure table.

Now to fine tune the shifts, reduce the shift times by 10% at a time to increase firmness, or increase 10% shift time to soften the shifts."

-Russ Kemp
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________

First set the Tip in TqMg, Flare TqMg, and Limit TqMg fields to none. Also set the ETC limit to disable. Leave all the trans torque management tables stock, and just halve the Cold Multiplier table. This will halve the timing retard during up & downshifts.

-Russ Kemp
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________

Max Pressure and Base Pressure tables = they are fine, no need to set the max to 280psi though. I've set them at 250psi.

2. Desired Shift Time Min Power Downshift and Downshift - Normal = .15 is quick, but it's a matter off taste, i have mine set the same.

3. Shift Time Transition - Initial and Final = i left them stock because they are based on a percentage of the desired shift time. so when you lowered the shift times you also lowered the transition time.

4. anything for TCC control- i lowered the locking speeds for 5th and 6th gear to save a little gas around town.but mine were set higher from factory. they are about the same as your.

5. anything else you see = what RPM are you shifting at now ? your shift speeds seem a little low.
    everything else looks good, it's really a matter of the individual's preference. if you like the way it shifts then enjoy it.

-08RED1500HD
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________

"Desired shift time Min power downshift" set to 0.1758

"Shift time Torque Adder Upshift normal" lower by .1 (until sweet spot)

"Shift time Torque Adder Downshift normal" set to 0.00

"shift desired output torque scale factor" set all to 0.000 for all gears

“Min Oncoming volume preset” keep stock

”Max Adapt vol” for gears 1-2,2-3,3-4 to 225

”Min adapt vol” keep stock

Torque Management:

Modify "shift torque factor adder modifier"

Remember Torque management is calculated like this:

FinalTM = {Shift Torque Factor + (Shift Torque Factor Adder * Shift

Torque Factor Adder Mod)}

On the early A6 OS I (1) zero out the Shift Time Inertia Adder (permanently). I then

set the Base Shift Time in the 0.15 to 0.35 range - depending on the vehicle / intended

use. I (2)temporarily zero out the Shift Time Torque Adder. Once adjustments to the

Base Shift Time have things in the general ballpark, I then use the Shift Time Torque

Adder to fine tune the shifts to the driver / owners preference.

These changes will increase the "quickness" of the shifts. Increases to the Shift Pressure

will increase shift "firmness", as will decreasing the amount of Torque Management (never

set this to zero with an A6). I zero out the Shift Torque Factor Adder, and adjust the

Shift Torque Factor to firm up the shifts. This generally ends up in the 0.5 to 1.0 range -

depending on the intended use.

I'm using a combination of shift speed time and trans TM to control wheel spin. if i set the

base shift times below .20 sec, the trans would shift too hard for my taste at any point in

the rpm. so i have the base set to .23 sec for sport mode only, .27 sec for normal, but i

control the shift time using shift time adders/inertia adders, so i can remove some time

from the shift past 4500rpm, again personal preference.

for Trans TM, the final torque factor is calculated like this:*

FTF = {Shift Torque Factor + (Shift Torque Factor Adder * Shift Torque Factor Adder

Mod)} * Torque Factor Cold*

Shift Torque Factor is per shift.

Shift Torque Factor Adder is per shift, it is multiplied by the Shift Torque Adder Mod before

being added to the Shift Torque Factor.

Shift Torque Adder Mod is a table with RPM & Driver Demand Torque. It is used to scale

the Shift Torque Adder depending on RPM/Demand Torque To give the different shift

feel/scaled TM% up/down. Hybrid mode as some describe it here*

The combination of this tables allows you to control engine timing right in between the

upshift, the problem is that you need to experiment with it, cause you can't exactly tell

how much timing you'll have base on the % of TM you're runing unless you run 0% TM,

which should't remove any timing out of the engine during the upshift. problem is, it's very

hard to control wheel spin with such settings unless you have sticky tires, plus, i really like

to have a long lasting trans*.

There is no need to change the torque factor cold.

Also for the downshift/upshift, there is a new table (you'll need the latest beta for this),

called spark min tqmgt that allows you to have a minimum engine timing right when the

trans downshift/upshift and trans TM kicks in.(timing won't go down past this values). In

the G8's the default is -20*, i have mine set at 0* so the minimum timing i see is 0*

during WOT downshifts.(timing goes down to 0*), or right when TM kicks in for the upshift,

ex: 1-2 WOT upshift.

I was roasting the tires especially on the 1-2 shit, and a little bit in the 2-3. now the shift is

still strong, but the tires won't spin. if i had drag tires, i wouldn't mind the extra aggressive

1-2 shift, but on conventional tires, that shifting was doing nothing but slowing the car

down. Also keep in mind, all my TM switches are still like they came from the factory, the

only thing i'm using is the TM adder/modifiers described above. if you have disabled them

expecting a stronger shift, i don't know how the car would react. i like to have all those TM

switches as they came from GM.*

Since we can vary the amount of TM left during the shift per every gear, i've found 40%

TM for the 1-2 shift to be the sweet spot for my tires/power levels, (which translated to

engine timing is about 2-3* in my case right when the shift occurs) 19% TM left for the 2-

3, and 10% TM for the 3-4 shift. This would vary with the car mods and tires selection of

course.*

I'm attaching a little excel spreadsheet i did to calculate the amount of trans TM i have

during the upshift, it's very basic but it gets the job done. remember the % of TM

represents an amount of timing reduction during the shift, but we don't know exactly how

much, it varies depending on shift times, shift pressure and TM% per gear. start out at

50% TM working your way down and see where you find the settings you want.

-Unknown

Tuner

Thank you very much for your Help my friend !
    A Really appreciate it.
    I'll read it carefully and post the results !

I have a killer camaro 6l80e tune, PM if you are intersted

Potential Tuner
    I might be needing that from ya.

Potential Tuner
    Hi,

I am intrested in tune of my transmission, have a Camaro SS L99 2011. I am a newbie in this area. Want it to switch gears faster in sports mode. Would be great with screen shots of a functional konfiguration in a file.

Please help.

Roland

Tuner in Training
    Also looking for a good trans tune to limit the amount of timing that is pulled from launch and between gear shifts to lower ET's at the track. Looking for something that wont shell the tranny in 3k but takes enough of the TM off to let the car perform as it should. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Charles View Post
    Hey Ben tried PM'ing but couldn't find it..wanna chat about a tune for my 11 cammed camaro trans..thanks!

Potential Tuner

6l80 tune

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Charles View Post
    I?m interested in your tune, Ive got a 2011 ss and the trans feels a little sluggish in my opinion so I?m trying to put something in it to quicken up the shifts a little bit and make it feel a little snappier

Potential Tuner
    I?m in CT. i just had my 5th gen Camaro SS L99 dyno tuned I went there on an empty tank with 10 gal. Of e85 like I was asked by tuner. Only to be told my injectors were maxed out so he couldn?t do the e85 tune. I?m no tuner nor an idiot. My car has only 2? LT?s hi Flo?s and CAI. there?s no way they SHOULD be maxed out. On top of that I was supposed to have my tranny tuned as well. Just stiffen up my shifts and make shift time faster. What I got was an ok difference in motor tune but now AFTER tune my car shifts w a little flaring between most shifts especially 2-3 n 3-4. How do I find a tuner I can trust?