Thread: 2014 Coyote tuned Low Torque numbers HELP!!!

2014 Coyote tuned Low Torque numbers HELP!!!

Tuned 2014 Mustang GT for a friend of mine and the FORD platform is all new to me. I have had some help form you guys a couple weeks ago on some ghost cam issues etc etc. I got what I felt was a pretty good tune on the car and it did pick up a good bit of power. The only problem is the torque numbers only increased by 2lb/ft @ the wheels. However power went up by about 30whp but tq practically stayed the same. I am posting the current tune and the original tune. Could someone check out the files and let me know what I may be missing in the midrange that may be preventing torque gains. A local FORD tuner (numbers are from his dyno) said for the mods the car is down about 25-30wtq.

Also the owner has said at very light throttle/cruising that the car is little jerky and it takes a lot of pedal to get it to go sometimes. I haven't been able to take a new log within the last week as my interface is being replaced currently. I am going to check it out over the weekend and do some logging. Last time I logged and STFT's they were within reason all less then +/- 4-5%.

Dyno #'s were 397/366tq with mods and tune
    Stock numbers were 366/363on same dyno

Modifications are Ariraid CAI x pipe and mac mufflers and still has cats

terrry14gttune.1.hpt
    terrystockgt14.hpt
    Last edited by shoaf85; 04-05-2015 at 07:38 PM. Reason: title

Tuner
    Any datalogs and possibly a dyno chart?
    Last edited by toyoguru; 03-26-2015 at 08:35 PM.
    Current toy- 97 SCSB OBS chevy forged 6.0/4l80 combo with a bit of boost..currently back under the knife

To many previous vehicles to list

Will get some logs Saturday and I will try to get him to message me the Dyno sheet

Advanced Tuner
    Here is a file for Air Raid CAI. It is different from what you have in the tune. I don't know which is correct as I have not used it before.Air Raid CAI MAF.jpg

I'm gonna give it a shot tomorrow. I built the MAf/Period table with the histogram logging STFT against MAF Period table. I didn't have any type of reference to off of as far as the air raid intake so I just based it off the histogram /stft readings and it seemed very close compared to the numbers you just posted.

I'm also going to pay close attention to the spark timing and make sure I am getting what is commanded.

Got a few logs and the trims are dead nuts on. Every cell in the maf period table is around 3%. The car drives great IMO. Here is a WOT LOG I took a few minutes ago. Everything looks good as far as I can without getting it back on the dyno and trying some cam timing adjustments.

Thanks for any insight guys.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Worked on the ghost cam tune per owners request and I've got that side of it straightened out but I am seeing a few degrees of timing retard at WOT. I am logging no KR on the histogram, however in the log the engine is only seeing 20-22* at WOT and I am commanding 26*

Tuner
    The 2.24 scanner isn't going to show any valid info on knock retard readings. I haven't tried the 2.25 scanner (hoping to get some time to check it out tomorrow), but logging with the new scanner may show something in the knock that may be the cause. Also noticed in the email you sent me of the two different tunes, that the octane adjustment under the spark tab is zeroed in cam tune and not in the maf tune. Also, noticed one tune is under global knock and one is under per cyl knock retard.

I would try running it under global, with the octane adj table zeroed and then log with the new 2.25 scanner and see if it shows any knock activity before doing anything else. I will check out the logs either tonight or tomorrow and see if anything stands out.

If you do get a chance to log it and see knock activity, then its time to up the octane and find out if its real knock or not, these cars have some sensitive sensors..
    Current toy- 97 SCSB OBS chevy forged 6.0/4l80 combo with a bit of boost..currently back under the knife

To many previous vehicles to list

I will definitely give that a shot soon. BTW after letting the car cool down and do a cold start the ghost cam tune was awful. It would stall completely until the car was at complete operating temp after touching the gas. Once the car completely warmed up then it would idle but very low and then would surge a little. I'm giving up on the ghost cam for now. Otherwise I have the car running great with practically stock driveability and near 0 fuel trims, now to just get the small ignition timing issue figured out and we're good to go.

Advanced Tuner
    Man I wish I knew a lot more about this platform, that along with not being able to log KR, nothing much I can do to contribute a lot more with ideas (I just emailed support yesterday to get a copy of the scanner 2.25 so at least i'll start learning more about how this engines react to timing changes once i'm able to log KR), but, after playing changing the VCT trying all kind of different approaches, (thanks a lot everybody for their ideas and all the help, highly appreciated) the settings I have in my current tune seemed to have made a nice difference in my car in the low-mid throttle department so far. I have stock airbox, custom 3" H pipe, Res deleted with 3" pipes and 3" bullet type mufflers. I don't have dyno numbers, but the car definitely feels stronger down low and mid throttle compared to anything else in my tune that I've tried before, I've blended a little from everyone, hoping to get the car dynoded as soon as i'm able to fine tune timing, we don' have access to 93 octane around here, and if this engines react like most LSx engines, I won't be able to put any advance in timing with the 91 octane piss gas we have around here , in my G8, I had -4* removed from stock in the 4500-5200rpm area, otherwise it'll ping, (audible) so I know my knock sensors were working fine.

Tuning Addict
    You sure this is actual knock? The only reason I ask is because Fords are confusing for the very reason they say knock, but it's actually adding that much timing. As for ghost camming... It's been a while since I've done one, but these are the notes I always went by.

Under weighing factor - Intake Valve Opening - bottom 0 line = set to -40 to -30 (-30 is more mild)
    - exhaust - line 0 = set to -20
    Under Variable cam - Distance along trac - bottom 4 left = 0
    Cam Phasing - left 20 & up = 40
    Exhaust - 20 up to 20 (far left)
    Mapped points to emission = leave stock
    Spark - idle spark - 17's to 20's
    Idle - Scaler - 720rpm
    RPM error to begin idle = -75
    Update Rate - 0 with blower 1 with NA
    AC idle - 750rpm
    drive by wire - min allowed - 1
    Min prop for idle - set to 0 or will not work

These are notes for SCT... Haven't tried with HP and not sure what HP even calls these items...

Hope this all helps.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC