Thread: drive by wire to drive by cable

Potential Tuner

drive by wire to drive by cable

i have a 98 harness and i have re-pinned it to a 99 pcm, the pcm i have is from 99 vette, i do not have a tps reading when i use the scanner i am assuming this is because this 99 vette pcm is drive by wire is there a way to change it in the vcm editor or am i screwed. thanks

Potential Tuner
    i would like to keep my drive by cable because of my current setup any help is greatly appreciated

Potential Tuner
    Someone please help

get different pcm

Potential Tuner
    Is that the only way or can the pcm be re programed

Advanced Tuner
    Go to system general system and you will see a bunch of 0's and some 1's. I added a pic but where you have a 1 under ETC you need to change that to a 0. This picture is from mine which is a 1999 gmc cable throttle body tune.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I used a '99 Corvette PCM in my '69 Nova conversion that is drive-by-cable. I opted to over-write the PCM using a 2002 Camaro operating system. This method does require you to license both the '99 PCM and a 2002 Camaro PCM that you download from the repository. Using the 2002 operating system I was able to get away from the primary/secondary VE and it has better idle tuning in my opinion.

Note - you must do a "write entire" to over write the 02 operating system onto the '99 PCM.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by prostreet1967 View Post
    get different pcm
    This is not necessary. SOME (not all) of the later P59 computers were missing the hardware needed to convert to cable throttle, but the 99-2002 (P01) PCM's can switch just fine without needing to replace the hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by gagliano7 View Post
    Go to system general system and you will see a bunch of 0's and some 1's. I added a pic but where you have a 1 under ETC you need to change that to a 0. This picture is from mine which is a 1999 gmc cable throttle body tune.
    This is correct, I've done it before and it works. Once you turn off ETC, and write the calibration, you'll see TPS data in the scan tool, and the IAC will work.

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy406 View Post
    I used a '99 Corvette PCM in my '69 Nova conversion that is drive-by-cable. I opted to over-write the PCM using a 2002 Camaro operating system. This method does require you to license both the '99 PCM and a 2002 Camaro PCM that you download from the repository. Using the 2002 operating system I was able to get away from the primary/secondary VE and it has better idle tuning in my opinion.

Note - you must do a "write entire" to over write the 02 operating system onto the '99 PCM.
    This isn't necessary, but if the OP has spare credits, it can make tuning better as you mentioned...the 2002 OS is better in many ways, not just in ridding you of the annoying secondary VE table.
    2010 Camaro SS M6. Stock Bottom End, Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers/Exhaust.
    2005 Silverado RCSB. Forged 370 LQ9/Borg-Forced Inductions T6 S484/Jake's Stage 4 4L80E with D3 Brake/4WD.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

Tuner in Training
    I am trying to do a cable swap. I have everything rewired. I am using a 04 3500 6.0 express computer (that has the IAC driver) and the 80e that came from the van behind a turbo 4.8. My problem is when I go to "system" > "general"> there is no "system" button.... like gagliano7's picture to change those settings... what am I missing? Thanks Jase

Tuner in Training

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by jaseturboLS View Post
    Are you in advanced view? I just opened yr file and it was there!

-D
    99 TA, Texas Speed LS376, PRC heads, 233/239 cam, Fast 92mm, 95mm TB, card style MAF, Tick TR6060, Strange 4.11 12 bolt axle & clutchpack diff, Strano springs/dampers, Vette 18" wheels, Vette disks, CTS-V calipers, 16lb flywheel, long tube headers, no cats.

Tuner in Training
    I'm not sure. what is advanced view?

Tuner in Training
    got it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thank you!!!! why would it change to basic view on me?

Advanced Tuner
    When you initially install the software there is the option for basic and advanced view. You may have set it there and forgotten about it.

Advanced Tuner
    So on an 04 Operating system is that the answer? I am considering making the swap to DBC also as no one seems to make a 102 TB that wont kick REP on my OS. On the newer stuff people tune it out to a degree but on mine ive yet to see it.

Does the IAC wiring just get added in?

04 Sierra Denali,370,S485B, Built 4L80E, 3barOLSD, E85

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 03Sierraslt View Post
    So on an 04 Operating system is that the answer? I am considering making the swap to DBC also as no one seems to make a 102 TB that wont kick REP on my OS. On the newer stuff people tune it out to a degree but on mine ive yet to see it.

Does the IAC wiring just get added in?
    I think you can use some if not all of the existing Wiring and change the plugs for the IAC and TPS.

Look at the wiring for a Van of a similar year and use the PCM from that application. It will have the correct internal hardware to support the DBC since they were DBC.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by gofastwclass View Post
    When you initially install the software there is the option for basic and advanced view. You may have set it there and forgotten about it.
    I just had the same problem! LOL! Thanks for the tip!!

Awesome Awesome it works thanks for posting.