Thread: Injector timing vs ECT -- why is stock EOIT so early for cold ECT?

Advanced Tuner

Injector timing vs ECT -- why is stock EOIT so early for cold ECT?

Hey guys,

After my tip in bog thread, and all the help I received there, I'm starting to look more at the injector timing. VERY interesting stuff. After reading this excellent thread:

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...ereencing-what

My question really is, why did GM change the injector timing SO much when the engine is cold?

For example, the EOIT for cold temps is 2.55, and for warm temps its 5.55. With the stock boundary of 6.5, this implies that the EOIT is 300.5 for warm temps but only 30.5 for cold / startup temps. Why on earth would you want the EOIT to be SO early? I'm just trying to get a handle on this so I can make the appropriate adjustments to my tables based on cam and injectors.

Thanks!
    Jason
    1996 Camaro SS M6 - 24X conversion - stock bottom end - heads - shorty headers - 58mm TB
    Ultradyne 230/238 .565/.565 112+4 - 30 LB red top SVO injectors - LOTS of suspension...

2002 GMC 2500 HD Duramax M6 - Just starting the tune on a stock motor now that I have a good clutch on order...

It's that early when cold to allow sufficient time for the cold fuel on a cold intake valve to evaporate as needed.

Ed M
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

Advanced Tuner
    But isn't the exh valve open if EIOT is that early? That puts it more than the -29 deg of stock "overlap". Right?

Thanks,
    Jason
    1996 Camaro SS M6 - 24X conversion - stock bottom end - heads - shorty headers - 58mm TB
    Ultradyne 230/238 .565/.565 112+4 - 30 LB red top SVO injectors - LOTS of suspension...

2002 GMC 2500 HD Duramax M6 - Just starting the tune on a stock motor now that I have a good clutch on order...

Quote Originally Posted by JasonS5555 View Post
    Hey guys,

For example, the EOIT for cold temps is 2.55, and for warm temps its 5.55. With the stock boundary of 6.5, this implies that the EOIT is 300.5 for warm temps but only 30.5 for cold / startup temps. Why on earth would you want the EOIT to be SO early? I'm just trying to get a handle on this so I can make the appropriate adjustments to my tables based on cam and injectors.

Thanks!
    Jason
    Jason,

Actually you add the Boundary and the Injection timing which defines the EOIT at like 95 degrees. I gueess that still pretty early but there is a trade off between fuel evap, idle quality and emissions at cold temps.....

Ed M
    Last edited by mowton; 03-24-2015 at 09:35 AM.
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks Ed. After doing the math it still seems crazy early.

C5 2000, did you read my original post? I reference and have read the post you list. I wasn't asking about EOIT in general, but specifically why it was SO early at cold ECT.

Thanks,
    Jason

Tuning Addict
    It's like Ed stated in his first post and on top of that it's supposed to allow raw fuel to better be sucked into the exhaust stream to help quicken the lighting off of the cats or atleast that's what I've been told. Not sure how much you could believe that though. I still don't have the OE understandings of injection timing.

Just know the lower the number on the newer ECM's the more retarded the timing is and the higher the number on the older ones the more retarded it is with all numbers being needed to be added together to get your final timing value - Again as Ed stated earlier...
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks for chiming in GH. So I'm not alone in thinking that the EOIT cold timing seems a little crazy.

I may see if tuning the cold ECT EOIT values in the normal table gets rid of some of the cold start fuel smell.

Jason