Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good target afr for '14 coyote?

Good target afr for '14 coyote?

Was helping a friend with his '14 Mustang and was wondering on these cars what WOT AFR should I be shooting for? He recently dynoed it and it was 11.7:1 at WOT across the board. When looking at the tune, stoich is set to 14.0 and WOT commanded lambda works out to that AFR. Thanks in advance!

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 GreeN View Post
    Was helping a friend with his '14 Mustang and was wondering on these cars what WOT AFR should I be shooting for? He recently dynoed it and it was 11.7:1 at WOT across the board. When looking at the tune, stoich is set to 14.0 and WOT commanded lambda works out to that AFR. Thanks in advance!
    Stock AFR is set to 14.08. .83 lambda tends to work pretty well for N/A stuff on 91/93 octane. Looks like he is right in that zone.

Senior Tuner
    How is 11.7 ok on a NA motor? Is this boosted? I thought an NA engines limit was around 12.5 or so. The Ford stuff is very new to me...
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by MMGT1 View Post
    How is 11.7 ok on a NA motor? Is this boosted? I thought an NA engines limit was around 12.5 or so. The Ford stuff is very new to me...
    I was thinking the same thing. What is crazy is the stock AFR calculates to lower than that. No, the car is not boosted and only has CAI, exhaust and no cats.

Senior Tuner
    Be great to get Eric's input or some of the experienced Ford guys to clear this up. I have seen where we CANNOT treat this plant like a GM. There is no 13.0 and 28* of timing with these, she wil go boom I'm told! So I am working with their goals to stay safe for now
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Advanced Tuner
    Comes down to combustion chamber design and compression ratio.

These engines like a bit more fuel and ~25* of timing for N/A applications on 93. That is where they make best power.

For FI .78 to .80 lambda is typically used with ~15* of timing with 93.

Tuner
    wbt pretty much summed it up with where these cars are good a/f wise. Also, cam timing can net some good gains too.
    Current toy- 97 SCSB OBS chevy forged 6.0/4l80 combo with a bit of boost..currently back under the knife

To many previous vehicles to list

Quote Originally Posted by wbt View Post
    Comes down to combustion chamber design and compression ratio.

These engines like a bit more fuel and ~25* of timing for N/A applications on 93. That is where they make best power.

For FI .78 to .80 lambda is typically used with ~15* of timing with 93.
    So how much fuel is a bit more fuel for NA?
    Last edited by WS6 GreeN; 03-23-2015 at 08:11 PM.

Tuner
    My personal experience is 11.6-11.7, depending on ignition/cam timing.

Also, remember, this is all based off of a lambda, .83 being a good starting point, referenced off of a stoich AFR of 14.08, which is basically E10. Take that same lambda of .83 and reference from the older stoich 14.68-14.7 and you end up in the 12.1-12.2 range.

Its a lot better to err on the side of rich with the coyote..as mine runs pretty strong even with an 11.2 afr, which is where my WOT lambda is for nitrous, and I run that tune all the time.
    Last edited by toyoguru; 03-23-2015 at 08:18 PM.
    Current toy- 97 SCSB OBS chevy forged 6.0/4l80 combo with a bit of boost..currently back under the knife

Wow. I'm pretty amazed at how rich these things run. Is there anything behind this other than "that's what it should be", and combustion chamber size? It just seems to go against anything you've ever known for tuning a N/A engine. Has anyone tested say .80lambda vs .90lambda, or maybe have any theory behind this?
    09 Cobalt SS - E47+EFR6758 =

07 Silverado ECSB LBZ Duramax - Bunches of goodies

Tuner
    I haven't put either of my cars on a dyno, but my 13 GT lost 2 mph consistently going from .835 lambda to .845 lambda..same day same conditions, three runs on both tunes (6 runs total) with the only change being the lambda in the tune. The mph stayed the same .825 to .835..so I kept it at .835 NA. It really threw me off too when I first starting tuning them.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Freakotec View Post
    Wow. I'm pretty amazed at how rich these things run. Is there anything behind this other than "that's what it should be", and combustion chamber size? It just seems to go against anything you've ever known for tuning a N/A engine. Has anyone tested say .80lambda vs .90lambda, or maybe have any theory behind this?
    I am sure it would take a Ford engineer who worked on the head design to provide the details on the why.

Looking at the basics we know that an engine likes more fuel when it is moving more air. My answer to the question is, more efficient head design.

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    Best power I have found is .835 stock headers, and .85 with after market headers
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

Don't forget the higher cranking compression of these engines vs the earlier 4Vs. I'm sure on a good high octane fuel you would make more power being leaner, but on pump gas, you can run slightly more timing without running into detonation with a richer mixture.
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric@HPTuners View Post
    Don't forget the higher cranking compression of these engines vs the earlier 4Vs. I'm sure on a good high octane fuel you would make more power being leaner, but on pump gas, you can run slightly more timing without running into detonation with a richer mixture.
    +1. I have calmed knock down with some cars by adding a little more fuel in certain spots.

Senior Tuner
    With these, are you guys changing Stoich to match actual? Testing fuel for E content and inputting correct data?
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by MMGT1 View Post
    With these, are you guys changing Stoich to match actual? Testing fuel for E content and inputting correct data?
    Not here. Just leave it at the stock 14.08 setting for regular gas and 9.85 for e85.

Tuner in Training
    for some reason i cant find where to change my stoich. Anyone know where that might be i am looking to swap to e85 but just upgraded my beta and cant find it.

thanks

Senior Tuner
    Should be the first thing you see in the Fuel Tab: General: Stoich AFR, it'll be set to 14.08000 stock
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Tuner in Training
    I thought it was there also but it seems that i just installed the newest beta and its not there . really weird