Thread: Current Consensus (i.e. your opinions) on MAF Screen?

Tuner in Training

Current Consensus (i.e. your opinions) on MAF Screen?

So, are there gains that are worth it from removing the MAF screen, compared to the difficulties making things like idle tuning harder?

For reference, car is a 2001 FBody with full Abbott Racing package (ported upper/lower intakes, Stage 3 heads, road racing cam). Pacesetters, exhaust, all that. Intake side is a whisper lid and Fast Toys Ram Air. Injectors are the upsized multec II's (about 30% larger than stock). I tossed the MAF screen years ago but might grab a new one if it's worth it.

Thanks,
    Jeff

Everyone I know in the 3800 community runs a maf screen, even on 400-500+whp turbo cars.

I've always seen that the maf sensor is very sensative when it comes to air flow over itself. Dialing in fuel trims is easier with on. Even all the books I've read say that removing the screen never gained more than 4hp on V8 motors, but that could be from a false reading allowing it to seam leaner and have just a small bump in hp.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Senior Tuner
    This has been a discussion for many years. My best answer, it is not a screen...it is an airflow straightener. No MAF should be without one. If your vehicle was built without one, install one
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Tuner in Training
    Yeah, this was probably way before HPTuners maybe 2002-3 when it wasn't known how !MAF Screen messed with tuning. Will try to find mine, I see Rockauto carries the screen but not the snapring..

Tuner
    What's your car make at the wheels SAE corrected? I have a similar 01 Camaro and just wanted to compare.

Tuner in Training
    Have no idea maybe I'll dyno it once I get the screen and tune it in.

Tuner
    When I finished with my engine, I was at 245-hp at the wheels, SAE-corrected on a SuperFlow chassis dyno.

The OP reads like your engine is more aggressive than mine. I'd think you'd be arond 260 at the wheels SAE.