Thread: 0411 PCM swap on Vortec 454

Potential Tuner

0411 PCM swap on Vortec 454

I have performed a 0411 PCM swap into a 1999 Quigley 4x4 van. PCM was from a 2001 Express van, with 350 Vortec and 4L80E. Operating system 1283002. HP tuners is a great tool and I've got it running pretty well.

I cannot seem to get it to shift out of 1st gear when in 4x4 Low Range. I am providing a ground signal to Pin C2-16 when in 4 low only, and a +12V signal to C2-19 when in 4x4 High or Low. VSS is located at output of tranfer case (factory style), not on the transmission. The 4x4 Low shift tables (14998 speed, and 14999 RPM shift tables) are showing in my editor, and I have them edited to reasonable values, but they do not seem to be taking effect when shifted to 4 Low. Please see attached HPT file. I am using version 3.2.127 VCM editor.

I have verified tha.t the signals are being supplied to the PCM, but does anyone know how to monitor these 2 pins with the scanner to see if the signal is being "seen" by the PCM?

Any input would be appreciated.
    John
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by BBQuigley; 07-05-2017 at 11:25 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Welcome to the forum, are you logging commanded gear to see if the pcm is commanding a shift. there are a couple guys here running 4wd trucks on gen 1 vortec based engines with 0411 swaps maybe they will chime in later to check your tune.

Potential Tuner
    Yes, I have logged commanded gear. It is working fine in high range, but does not command anything other than first gear in low range.

Advanced Tuner
    Have you cruised around gmt400.com, search lextech and you will find a multitude of information about pcm swaps and also some info about 4wd lo. There used to be an issue when the swap began to gain popularity im not exactly sure the fix but i do know the issues have been resolved.

I'll compare it to my tune sometime this afternoon/evening. I'm not sure what Scanner PID's you'd use to see those two inputs. 4x4 Controls should be same/same between 60e and 80e/0411 (unless someone knows differently), thus, I'll roll through it to see if I can come up with anything.
    Totally restored - 1996 GMC K1500 ext cab, HT383e swap, MPFI spider, 0411 PCM swap, FLT Level 5 4L60e with Sonnax Smart Tech input housing, Tru-Cool 40k transmission cooler with -6AN lines, 1-5/8" Hedman Husler long tube race headers with 2-1/2"ss dual exhaust, rebuilt 3.73 rear axle with Yukon/Detroit Helical locker, 6" ProComp lift with steering stabilizer and rear traction bars, 35x12.50x15 BFG All Terrains, Perma-Cool e-fans, etc, etc, etc,..

G'day BBQuigley, I just did a compare between your tune and mine. "4WD Low" in a 4L80e will be slightly different than my 60e but, shouldn't be that much off.

1. Trans> Auto Shift Speed> 4WD Low> Shift Speed vs Shift table
    - your shift speeds are much lower than mine. Stock settings for a 4L60e is 20-40-256-21-41-60 (top to bottom),....yours is 3-10-15-6-13-20,....seems low to me, but you may have it set that way on purpose (depending how your using the vehicle).
    2. Under same section - Shift RPM vs Shift table
    - your shift rpm's are much lower than mine. Stock settings for a 4L60e is 4800-5000-5000 (top to bottom),....yours is 2500-2500-3000,....this should be ok but, might keep you out of your power band/max power/torque,....but, then again, you may have a high torque/low rpm motor,.... Again, all this depends on what you have and how your using the vehicle.
    3. Both our "Part Throttle Shift" and "Full Throttle Shift Speed" tables are nearly identical in speed/shifting.
    4. Your 4WD Low shift table has it shifting out of 1st to 2nd at 6MPH / 2500 RPM,...thus, I wouldn't immediately think it's your table settings causing the "not shifting" issue. It should be shifting really low, but, still shift. Seems a bit low to me (according to how I have mine set up, and/or stock settings), but, again, depends on how/what you want this vehicle to do.

Sorry bud, I don't have the 0411 swap pinouts for the 01 Express Van/4L80e. Do you have the pinout from LexTech?

For shits and giggles,....try kicking your tables (mentioned above) up to stock settings and see what happens. Won't take 10 minutes and if it doesn't work, you can quickly change them back.
    Totally restored - 1996 GMC K1500 ext cab, HT383e swap, MPFI spider, 0411 PCM swap, FLT Level 5 4L60e with Sonnax Smart Tech input housing, Tru-Cool 40k transmission cooler with -6AN lines, 1-5/8" Hedman Husler long tube race headers with 2-1/2"ss dual exhaust, rebuilt 3.73 rear axle with Yukon/Detroit Helical locker, 6" ProComp lift with steering stabilizer and rear traction bars, 35x12.50x15 BFG All Terrains, Perma-Cool e-fans, etc, etc, etc,..

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the tips, Yes I have the pinout from LexTech (great guy, very helpful and accurate). It shows the connector pinout, but I'm trying to find a way to monitor the PCM itself to see if it is getting the message. Kind of like monitoring the "AC Request" signal to the PCM...
    Thanks

Sorry Sir, I don't see any Scanner PID's to specifically verify what your wanting to do. You may have to rig a volt meter up to the PCM wiring and run it inside the cab while your driving/to verify the signals. Did you previously check your signals by pushing the 4L/H buttons, while sitting still?

Advanced Tuner
    I would look at swapping the transmission segment from a 4x4 4L80E truck. If you are still using the 4L80E van trans segment it will not even look at the inputs for the transfer case because they are turned off in the coding for the 2wd trans.

Advanced Tuner
    Same year 6.0L truck may have that operating system. You need the trans segment from a 4x4 4L80E truck.