Thread: New to HPTuner - first questions for this newb

Potential Tuner

New to HPTuner - first questions for this newb

Hello all,

I have some simple questions first off, before I start to dig to deep and actually try and tune myself. I just hope I have the patients and time to fully commit and understand the process of tuning.

The vehicle that will be my main concern will be my 2011 CTS-V. Not that these couple of first questions will require you to know that but sooner or later I'm sure they will. I up'ed the ponies in my V by adding bolt ons, and adding the AlkyControl Meth kit. I let an established and well respected hot rod shop do the work and also used their reputable tuner to tune the car. I have to say I'm very pleased with the results. My main concern is that they are both 6 hours away and they are tuff to get in touch with when I have questions, which is starting to be the case. So I need and want to know what I'm doing so I do not have to rely on anyone else.

Questions:
    Since I let someone else tune the vehicle and they did not want to use my hptuner, is there a way to see their tune? Modify it if needed? The reason I'm asking is because I got the idea that the tuner locked it out in some way. Is that possible?? I have not tried to use my hptuner to diagnose anything, it's still brand new in the box. IF the tune is able to be locked out, can the car still be logged to check what it is doing?

Getting ahead now... But, lets say you can lock the tune so no one can view it. How would one go about working on it? Start all over? Would you need the stock tune in order to do that? I'm trying to cover all my ground here before I get started.

If there's something you know and think I should. Please feel free to chime in.

Thanks!!

Senior Tuner
    Taking HP Tuners out of the box and trying to use it will answer most of your questions.

Potential Tuner
    looking at the youtube videos will help out alot to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qU5EMTrLGpk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNCnE6wVW6I Also Using the internet and looking up stuff like Cylinder Air Mass And Timing/Fuel they will explain alot of how the compter tells the engine/ transmission what to do
    Last edited by Fastg8gt; 03-31-2015 at 07:07 AM. Reason: adding more info

I have used the tunning school programs. The learn at home courses are pretty darn good I think.

http://gmtune.ru/hptuners-tuning-guide

click and read....good stuff!

Advanced Tuner
    No matter whose HPTuners cable was used to tune the car, you should be able to read the tune.......unless he locked it. That should answer both of your questions.

Yes, it is possible that he locked it. If he did, then you would need to know his code to unlock it, which you would type in to the small box at the time of reading the tune.

That being said, even if he locked it, you can still use the VCM Scanner software to diagnose and log the car. You just wouldn't be able to edit the tune.

Advanced Tuner
    If he locked the tune, then you would have to go back to him to get it unlocked. Sucks, but that's what some people do. And the reason they do it is that they make a living off of their tuning work and don't what Tom, Dick, and Harry passing around their tune file freely on the Internet.......or in my case people were taking my files and selling them to each other for a substantially reduced cost compared to what I would have charged. Stuff like that pisses you off, but I still don't lock my tunes. I don't want to have to meet up with people all the time to flash their car back to stock, etc at their whim just because I chose to lock my work.