Thread: another rate my tune thread

another rate my tune thread

long story short I had a tune done by a local shop and im not too happy with how it came out as far as the driveability portion of the tune is concerned. Engine seems to bog off idle with steady throttle during normal driving. Car made good power but just figured it could use a little extra pep in its step in the lower rpm range. Seems like its got a little bit of hesitation at low rpms.

Car is a 87 ttop mustang with 5.3 truck motor, ls6 intake, z06 cam installed straight up, BTR valve springs, and turbonetics tc78 on 10 lbs. all this through a th400 with fti 3600 stall and 3.27 gears out back on a 275/40/17 tire. fueling is taken care of by a1000 pump with magnafuel filters, fic 80lb injectors and aeromotive boost referenced regulator.

I been lurking on here for a couple of years and have done tuning with some different systems and am definitely getting more familiar with this system. just need some pros to overlook the tune I had done and see if theres any areas for improvement.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by 87lsttop; 03-18-2015 at 02:52 PM.

think I may have found a small problem while researching a little bit and comparing to a stock 02 Camaro file. I think the VE table in the lower rpm range and the lower kpa seems a bit low? I will have to try and get a log here pretty soon to verify this.

Tuner in Training
    I dont think you can really compare to a stock tune due to different injectors among other things. Way low timing wot,11 degrees is nothing.

Lots of room for improvement

that's what I figured it had a lot of improvements to be made. I been researching and researching and have a few things to try. One thing I noticed was that the timing in the lower g/cyl and medium rpm range the timing is way higher than most tunes Ive seen. is this about normal? Where would be the some places I could improve on?

Quote Originally Posted by SPRAYED 01 View Post
    I dont think you can really compare to a stock tune due to different injectors among other things. Way low timing wot,11 degrees is nothing.
    I was comparing the VE table numbers to see if in the lower MAP ranges if my numbers were higher or lower than a stock tune.

Anybody? From what I can see the only thing that has been altered is the ve table, maf disable, a couple of dtcs, spark table, and injector data. SHame I paid someone to do that before I got smart and bought the software on my own.
    Last edited by 87lsttop; 03-22-2015 at 02:45 PM.

Bump

Tuner in Training
    Ok I looked through the tune, Im not a pro but will give you my opinion in hopes to help you and maybe stir up some other respones.

Rolling rpm is 0, thats what a stock tune has. I have 750rpm there, seems to work great.

Your ve table, I realize your only going to 10lbs and looks like you have a 3bar setup. If you ever do go higher you may run super rich. Are you logging 11.3 or .88-.89 lambda on your wideband? If not you may have to do some afr error histogram logging and correct your ve. My ve numbers in the 10 lbs range are about 10% lower and about 20% lower in the 1-8ish psi range. Are you rich when lower than 10 psi?

Closed loop has been disabled, if you still have front 02 sensors why not use them?

I also make be and pe the same, supposidly there is a slight delay when the computer chooses be over pe. Making them the same takes away and concern.

Again timing is super low, if you can log runs do it. Log knock and go up a degree or 2 at a time. Id say 15-16 would be perfectly safe even with the small turbo you are using.

Alex

Tuner in Training
    Also try adding some spark to the spark under speed table and in iat spark table have it pull out some timing if the iats get hot. Like a ramp rate from 2-6 degrees from 140 and up.
    Last edited by SPRAYED 01; 03-25-2015 at 05:17 PM.

From what I actually see on the wideband I believe that its actually richer than 11.3 I need to get back home and set up a histogram in order to log boost into the datalog. I disabled closed loop in the tune so I could try and figure out why I was having the hesitation in the lower rpm range when coming off idle in part throttle. I got to thinking about it and realized I made a mistake. the tune that I have posted is for the same combination but with a truck intake. I changed the intake to a ls6 intake so therefore I probably lost a little bit of low end torque. So therefore I need to go back through and try and correct the ve in the lower rpm range. I also changed the injectors from the siemen deka 80s to the FIC 80s cuz one of the injectors was sticking. At wide open throttle the the timing is low because I was going to try and up the boost if I could. Either way from what I have seen it is definitely a lot lower than others I have seen. Thanks for the insight

Heres a pretty decent log of a wot pull at the track.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    Looks like maybe your fuel pressure is dropping in high rpm based on your ve curve
    SHUETUNING
    Powertraincontrolsolutions