Thread: hp tuner on Mac

Potential Tuner

hp tuner on Mac

I'm in the middle of installing the the MPVI interface. I hooked up the usb and then hooked up the box. and now I'm getting this! what to do next
    Attached Images Attached Images

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Potential Tuner
    Thanks got it to work on the mac.IMG_2425.JPGIMG_2426.JPG

So now we can run HP tuners on mac???????
    I mean i see it but where is the download for mac?
    Last edited by mcm1209; 03-25-2015 at 12:22 PM.
    2009 GMC Sierra All Terrain Z71

There isn't, and we don't support running our product on mac.
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

Unless something has changed HP tuners is a windows application. To run on a MAC you have a couple of options.

Bootcamp your MAC and install Windows 7 or 8. You can then boot your mac to either MAC OS or Windows.
    Pros: Free and works extremely well
    Cons: Can't run any of your MAC items till you restart and boot into MAC OS, your hard disk has to have 2 partitions reducing the disk space in each OS

Use VMware for MAC and install Windows 7 or 8 on the virtual machine.
    Pros: Allows you to run both systems at the same time and easy back and forth.
    Cons: Not free. I have had issues with USB access

Use parallels and install windows in a virtual environment.
    Pros: Again allows you to run windows with out rebooting and simple swipe can get you from one to the other. You can run an application as a window but using the windows OS. Kind of neat.
    Cons: Not free. Again have had a couple of contentions for the USB resources.
    Last edited by jpliss; 03-25-2015 at 12:43 PM.

You should!
    Keeps people from having to buy a windows based laptop every year. My tuner goes through 2 windows laptops a year.
    I've had my Mac for 5 years and its still faster, has better battery life and more reliable than the average windows laptop.

But that is just one persons opinion.
    Thanks for the reply!!

Yeah im running bootcamp, looks like he is running parralels in the pic because he still has the mac banner on the bottom.

Not sure what he is doing to go through that many laptops. My dell D620 with dock has been my tuning only device for about 4 years. The laptop is over 6 years old and got it from where I worked for free. That device still works fine. I have since upgraded to a newer dell device that is awesome that I got for cheap. Not for nothing but I have almost 7 years of device use for 300 bucks. My last MacBook pro I built for my last company was 2200 bucks. I can buy a lot of machines for that kind of money. As long as there are choices there will always be preferences whether it is mac vs pc or ford vs chevy vs dodge. Aint America great??

By the way my MAC book pro was pretty nice and it ran windows really good.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpliss View Post
    Not sure what he is doing to go through that many laptops. My dell D620 with dock has been my tuning only device for about 4 years. The laptop is over 6 years old and got it from where I worked for free. That device still works fine. I have since upgraded to a newer dell device that is awesome that I got for cheap. Not for nothing but I have almost 7 years of device use for 300 bucks. My last MacBook pro I built for my last company was 2200 bucks. I can buy a lot of machines for that kind of money. As long as there are choices there will always be preferences whether it is mac vs pc or ford vs chevy vs dodge. Aint America great??

By the way my MAC book pro was pretty nice and it ran windows really good.
    I agree, my current work/tuning laptop is a toshiba I've had for 2+ years at a cost of around $450, I could easily buy 3 or more of these pc's for the price of one Mac. Just two mens opinions though
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Potential Tuner
    yea I'm running parallels but came to a sudden stop.i got this far and then it didn't read it image.jpg

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    I agree, my current work/tuning laptop is a toshiba I've had for 2+ years at a cost of around $450, I could easily buy 3 or more of these pc's for the price of one Mac. Just two mens opinions though
    Makes three of us.
    My favorite tool is a nearly 3 year old mid-priced Dell and a spare battery for rare times I'm running low on power. This is with me 80% of the time and has been all over the country without a complaint. My previous Dell was at my side for almost 4 years.
    I have nothing against a mac per se but dollar for dollar I simply don't see what makes people feel they are so special.

Tuner in Training
    I can agree with the Macs lasting a lot longer. Even using my hpt for tuning only. I only got a year and a half out of it before it seemed lethargic and a pita... mac now for 2.5 years and still loving it. I run boot camp with hpt and it works great.