Thread: KR Discussion and Information

Advanced Tuner

KR Discussion and Information

Ok everyone, I haven't made an informative post in a long time, but I have seen a lot of posts about KR and issues people are having. I don't ever look at logs, or tunes people post anymore because there is a lot of guys on here doing that already that know what they are talking about. But with the tunes I have seen and the issues people have been seeing I feel like I should make a post to help out.

Under Engine Tab: Spark Tab: You will see:

Spark Correction AFR Correction

IAT Spark

ECT Spark

I am totally baffled by the fact that people never touch these tables or when they do they make minor changes that don't actually amount to anything. Did you know that according to the IAT Spark table it will start pulling 4deg of timing when your IAT's are 60. Even more when it goes higher. With how low people set timing tables, and not tuning them correctly from the beginning, if you start pulling 4deg of timing out it will cause all sorts of issues. Look at ECT for example. When your car is warmed up to 125deg or higher, it starts pulling 2deg of timing when throttle is 60% or higher. Add this to the 4deg you just pulled for it being above 60deg outside and your now pulling 6deg all together. Sounds like tuners (not all, I have never seen everyone's tunes, nor do I want to) are just making a car go faster but aren't actually modifying these tables for safety. If you want your car to last you need to think about safety. If performance needs to take a back burner to safety then by all means it is not a full time drag car, so please think about these things.

Next... Have you ever wondered why you're getting that crazy KR? Have you read all of GmTech's posts and wondered why he says to raise timing? I'm sure everyone thinks "But GmTech, you have to lower timing to make KR drop.", but people are too afraid to ask why, so they just go, well it's GmTech and he knows a lot so he must be right. Well he is, but the question is why. If you don't know then your hindering your tuning abilities. Take a look at your logs. Do you ever see timing go up and down, up and down? Here is a good trial: Start with a stock tune, raise OP Torque in the 20 and 30 Column from 400 - 1000 up to 100, then turn off Catalyst Heating. Log your car at idle. You'll notice it has a ton of KR, and timing jumps up and down, ETC pedal pos jumps up and down, etc. The car is not happy. Look at what your Timing is at. Well no wonder it's not happy, it doesn't like not being tuned correctly. This is what happens when timing is not done correctly. Now think back to all of those posts you read where it gets discussed that the car loves to be idled between 15-18deg timing. Wait that's not right. You had KR just a second ago on your idle log and it had timing in the negatives. That's because timing needs to be raised! I won't go into specifics for what timing should be everywhere, so don't ask. It will change per car, per area, per gas, etc etc etc!

SAFETY NOTE!!! If you raise timing too high it will cause REAL KR! I am not responsible for whatever you do to your car so do not come back on this thread saying you told me this and I jacked my car up. Sorry for you luck. I will tell you that once you find the happy medium you will be more then impressed. With that said there is more info.

Keep in mind it is not just timing. So many things change what timing will end up needing to be, so learn to work with the tables. Also keep in mind OP Spark plays a huge role in all of this so don't go forgetting about that. WITH THAT BEING SAID OP SPARK IS A DANGEROUS TABLE SO DO NOT JUST GO PLAYING WITH IT WITHOUT KNOWING WHAT YOU ARE DOING!!!

I hope this clears up some of the timing issues people have been having. Sorry if I went on any rants, I tend to do that.

Advanced Tuner
    Good stuff Mike!

Great post, Mike! Never even thought to mention this because it's so automatic. But, comes down to smoothness of amy table. Fluctuations are seen as evil by the ECU and show up as kr.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    traction control registers traction ignition retard as kr
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Advanced Tuner
    Leave it to CSSOB to always point out what I miss haha. Yes turn traction control off when tuning.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    well i know you meant it to be in there so there it is.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

=).