Thread: cam swap on 2010 silverado

Tuner

cam swap on 2010 silverado

so i just put on headers and a cold air kit. im going to get it tuned at a local shop and decided to put in a ls9 cam before i get it tuned.i got all the part numbers to do the swap..so i called a friend of mine that has been a mechanic at a chevy garage for over 20 years and he says we have to pull the heads to change the cam..is he right? i never heard of that before..if not what do i tell him? could i get a Quick how to on a cam swap?
    2010 silverado 6.2 ,Doug Thorley try-y headers, cats deleted ,spectra air cold air, lifted with 33's,tsp vvt 1.2 cam hp tuners

Tuner in Training
    If you're swapping into a dod truck then you need to pull the heads to swap the lifters. If non-dod then no need to pull heads. I have a ls9 cam and a ls2 timing cover for sell if you haven't bought any parts yet.

Tuner
    dumb question but what is dod? its a 6.2 l92 i believe.. i may be interested in them. are they new?
    2010 silverado 6.2 ,Doug Thorley try-y headers, cats deleted ,spectra air cold air, lifted with 33's,tsp vvt 1.2 cam hp tuners

Tuner
    what keep the lifters up while the cam is replaced?

Displacement of demand AKA Active fuel management.

You must replace all the DOD lifters, you must replace the valley cover and timing cover aswell. You will need new lifter trays and head gaskets and head bolts too.

Read up on performance trucks.net they have a few threads with everything you'd need to swap out a DOD cam for a performance camshaft.

http://www.texas-speed.com/p-717-dod...elete-kit.aspx

http://www.briantooleyracing.com/btr...elete-kit.html

Two different sites for buying parts.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    The lifters will stay up in the trays. Or use some wooden dowel rods. 6.2 truck doesn't have dod. Or at least mine didn't. Cam has about 20k miles on it. Looks new. Email me and I'll send you some pics.

[email protected]

Tuner
    Great! how could a 20 year Chevy mechanic not know how to replace a cam without pulling the heads on this motor?I looked up my rpo code and it is a l9h with no dod. ..I disagreed with him about it and he got very insulted. what do I tell him to convince him you can without insulting him? lol

If you are lucky the lifters will stay in place when swapping a camshaft but when one does fall you get to pull the oil pan to fish it out. I use pencil magnets and go down through push rod holes to hold them up and rubber band the magnets together.

Tuner
    does my l9h engine have the holes so you can put dowel rods in to hold the lifters up?

Hmm, okay so the non DOD motor but you still have VVT.

Atleast it should still have VVT from what I gather by reading on the internet, you'll still want to research a little more to see if anything else is special with VVT delete. Timing cover might still need to be changed.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner
    yes I have done my research I will need the cam, sprocket ,cover and springs all the parts cost around 250 and should net me around 40 rwhp..you can look it up ..it has vvt and no dod..the cover deletes the vvt

Senior Tuner
    the ls9 cam on a N/A setup in the 6.2 is a bad idea. I have been down this road. it's not a happy one.
    The most hated, make the most power.
    93 Ranger. 5.3 D1X. 1069hp.

Tuner
    Why is that? I can't see a down side..it looses nothing down low and builds better hp and tq all the way through..no affect on drivabilaty..