Thread: Cobalt SS LNF (Turbo) COT (Cat Over Temp) Protection Question

Tuner in Training

Cobalt SS LNF (Turbo) COT (Cat Over Temp) Protection Question

Right now, my COT protection is disabled because I'm catless. I'm now going back to catted, but with an aftermarket downpipe...not stock. Do you guys reenable the COT protection? Modify it? Leave it disabled? I don't want to melt the cat so I figure I'll ask those of you that may have experience with it. Thanks!
    2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTX T/C
    Current: T62-1, S1X, GMR goodies

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    leave it off. cat temp is a calculated value not real temp sender value.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

I can say from LNF experience on a GXP you will melt your cat running 23psi if you turn it off. You can tune it down some, but don't turn it off if you put the cat back on. COT will dump fuel wot in 4th. That's where the tweaking can help so you dpnt drop to .75 lambda

Advanced Tuner
    I think CSSOB was talking about CAT warmup while I think the OP was talking about the COT fueling table. I try to use the table even on catless setups now. Not required in that application it's a preference of mine. I would tune the table if you're putting a cat on it. I would tweak it from stock but then again I try to tweak just about everything.

nope i leave them both off 100% of the time haven't melted a cat.
    some are sensitive and some aren't depends on the luck of the draw sometimes.

Advanced Tuner
    Hahaha risk taker. I like it. I like to play those games when I'm tuning my own car.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by cobaltssoverbooster View Post
    nope i leave them both off 100% of the time haven't melted a cat.
    some are sensitive and some aren't depends on the luck of the draw sometimes.
    What type of power levels are you running without issues? Or should I say, what PSI?

Tuner in Training
    What do you guys who mod the table, mod it to?

Advanced Tuner
    Honestly just put the stock table back up. Once you understand the fuel system and tuning it you'll come up with whatever you think is safe. Stock table didn't kill the stock cat, so you should have a good starting point there.

i dont have mine anymore but my first one ran 24psi for 68k miles
    i ran 22* ignition at 24 psi during that time on 91 pump gas..i did some minor work to the head to let me get that ignition value but dont get me wrong it was still hot. a cheap glowshift egt prode un-soldered itself in the manifold before the turbo.
    Last edited by cobaltssoverbooster; 03-09-2015 at 08:08 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM173 View Post
    Honestly just put the stock table back up. Once you understand the fuel system and tuning it you'll come up with whatever you think is safe. Stock table didn't kill the stock cat, so you should have a good starting point there.
    Well, of course...but I don't want to kill a cat to find out what DOESN'T work. Which is why I'm asking what the max is that you guys use

Tuner in Training
    i dont have mine anymore but my first one ran 24psi for 68k miles
    Good to know Took it off after that? Or it died?

it died after i raised the boost for an event and blew the lands off

Advanced Tuner
    No offense but your basically asking for a table. No one gives that kind of information out anymore. In fact whenever I come across tunes other people have done, I see tables from on here still. Pretty sad if you ask me. I promise if you spend enough time and you're willing you'll figure out every table in HpT. I've gone as far as purposely doing dumb stuff to my tune to log it and provide info. It's not needed but I wanted to. Just stick with stock for now and you'll be fine.

Tuner in Training
    it died after i raised the boost for an event and blew the lands off
    Thanks!

Tuner in Training
    Honestly, even if I was asking for a table, I don't see a problem with answering it. Am I going to be stealing your business by taking a darn COT table for my personal car? No. You could always PM me with something. Second, I didn't ask for the table. I asked for the min lambda value that you thought was safe to run, I would have to assume, by experience...

Advanced Tuner
    Hahaha I meant that in no way a negative way like it seems you're taking it. And as for a problem with it, there is a huge problem. I don't feel like getting into all the specifics and I promise you I have helped people plenty and could care less about business. I don't tune for anything other then to help others who need it. I have offered enough to people. I promise you if you need help I'm here to teach and what I told you is exactly what you need to know about it right now. I would not recommend disabling it. You are more then welcome to PM me with any questions you have. I would end up just giving you my number for text to make helping that much easier. Trust me when I say relax on my answer to you.

Tuner in Training
    Hahaha I meant that in no way a negative way like it seems you're taking it. And as for a problem with it, there is a huge problem. I don't feel like getting into all the specifics and I promise you I have helped people plenty and could care less about business. I don't tune for anything other then to help others who need it. I have offered enough to people. I promise you if you need help I'm here to teach and what I told you is exactly what you need to know about it right now. I would not recommend disabling it. You are more then welcome to PM me with any questions you have. I would end up just giving you my number for text to make helping that much easier. Trust me when I say relax on my answer to you.
    Thank you for clearing it up . Hard to tell expressions over a forum. :-)

Advanced Tuner
    I completely understand. I try not to come across rude but my girl tells me I do all the time. Just let us know if you need anything. PMs work but a lot of knowledge should be discussed over the forums.

Tuner in Training
    I completely understand. I try not to come across rude but my girl tells me I do all the time. Just let us know if you need anything. PMs work but a lot of knowledge should be discussed over the forums.
    For sure. Thank you!