Thread: Tuning

Potential Tuner

Tuning

I have a 2009 Cobalt ss turbo i plan on buying the vcm suite and learn how to tune it can someone point me in the right direction

Read CSSOB's LNF Bible thread and tuning vids, anything out of GMTech's mouth plus the plenty of others. Search and you will be rewarded.

Advanced Tuner
    ^^^ This. Read read read and read some more. You won't understand it but read some more and then some more after that. When you think your good you guessed it read some more. When you're finally ready watch the videos and try the stuff out (very carefully).

Potential Tuner
    Thank you guys but read what? (Noob question)

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    click the lnf bible in my signature below. read all the threads and watch the videos, thats what they are saying.
    welcome to the forum.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Advanced Tuner
    ^^^ This.

Potential Tuner
    Ok thanks everyone

Potential Tuner
    Im starting to understand it thanks to videos but still a little confused as to what are pids histogram lambda but im sure when i get actually get the vcm suite it will be easier

Advanced Tuner
    The only things you should worry about are the videos for getting fuel trims dialed in and raising boost some and properly logging. After that start branching out. Keep reading everything a million times though.

Tuner
    Hello Gugi96,
    Everyone is pointing you to reading the LNF info, which is the correct info to learn about the LNF.
    However I think i first have to ask to you know anything about engine control theory? Do the terms: speed-density, mass-air-flow, wideband-O2, air-fuel-ratio, lambda, fuel trims, spark advance, knock retard, etc mean anything to you?
    If you don't already know what all that means, you need to understand engine control theory first, and THEN learn about the LNF. I read 2 small books by Greg Banish (they're more like magazines in size) and that at least gave me a good starting point to start asking more educated questions.

Advanced Tuner
    Turbo mentions some great points. I definitely did a lot of other reading not involved in this forum when I first started out. In fact a lot of my tuning you will not find the info on here. Understanding the most you can is great advice and I apologize because I kind of assumed that should be a given and that is the wrong assumption from me. Feel free to ask any question on here as well, even if you think it's dumb. Try to figure out answers on your own though as well.

Potential Tuner
    I just bought a greg banish tuning book on amazon hopefully it will help and ive been doing research all morning im starting to understand maf afr fuel trims etc..

Tuner
    if you're going to go the greg banish book route, buy them both. Yes, at least 50% of the info overlaps, but i still found it worth it. One of the books SA135 is fairly generic, good intro, the SA161 is actually a vague description of how you would calibrate an engine from scratch, volumetric efficiency, etc. Won't help you with LNF at all, since u start with a factory cal, but still interesting to read. apparently he also has a DVD, which i don't have.