Thread: 2015 A6 GT low rpm/low load knock retard.

Tuner

2015 A6 GT low rpm/low load knock retard.

I have been chasing an issue with my car for a while now. I am using a different device/software to log knock activity on my car and unlike my 2013 GT (manual trans), this one has been a challenge to figure out why it is showing knock.

At first, I figured it was bad fuel, and went half and half 93/110 leaded race fuel. Log still showed knock in the lower rpm (1300-1900) with a couple of spots in the upper rpm (above 4500 rpm) range. I was able to get rid of the upper rpm knock after readjusting my exhaust, as it was barely tapping on the diff housing under high load. The lower knock is still there. Compared the knock to converter lock up and bam..found a connection, or so I thought. Disabling the converter lock up did reduce the amount of knock, but still have knock. I pulled timing out the the MBT tables in the load/rpm range that showed activity, and it did reduce it some (from 6-8 degrees to 1-4 degrees), but it's still there. I can run nitrous on this tune and it will still add a degree or two of timing (above 3500 rpm), with no knock whatsoever, but cruising around town in the .35-.60 load range in the 1300-1900rpm range, it will log knock.

Has anyone else had this issue with the 11+ coyote? I usually pull some timing out of the lower rpm/load range anyway, as these cars have to much advance down low in stock form, but this is the first auto trans car I have done and can't seem to get completely rid of the knock. Just wondering if there may be a few of the MBT tables that need more taken out of them, but I have no clue which ones the car is using when it happens..

You can see in the histogram that it is adding timing anytime its WOT under load, and almost all of the cells have 100+ counts, except the 7000 rpm, only have 20-30 counts in that one. In the cells that are showing knock (1 to 4 degrees positive), most cells have 80-130 counts, except in the 1900rpm cell, its only 29 counts.

Attached a screen shot, RPM vs Knock vs Load
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by toyoguru; 03-08-2015 at 08:39 PM.
    Current toy- 97 SCSB OBS chevy forged 6.0/4l80 combo with a bit of boost..currently back under the knife

To many previous vehicles to list

could it be false knock?

I have experienced that with a pd blower e85 on a coyote.

If you disable the knock sensors, what does that PID show?
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

Tuner
    Ill disable the sensors in the tune and try to get some time to drive it this weekend and see what it shows.
    Current toy- 97 SCSB OBS chevy forged 6.0/4l80 combo with a bit of boost..currently back under the knife

Advanced Tuner
    Let's bump this up. I'm in the same boat....Low load/RPM, getting small amount of knock. Switched to E85 and still having some instances of knock. My car is an A6 also.

Toyoguru, did you get this sorted?

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by txcharlie View Post
    Let's bump this up. I'm in the same boat....Low load/RPM, getting small amount of knock. Switched to E85 and still having some instances of knock. My car is an A6 also.

Toyoguru, did you get this sorted?

I still have yet to figure out what is causing it, but it has to be false knock. I have not had a single issue with an M6 car, but this A6 has been a different beast. I have played with fuel, spark, checked the car over multiple times to make sure nothing is hitting/rubbing/vibrating and can't come up with an explanation for it. I haven't logged the car in a couple of months now and am about to go back N/A and changing the tune to accommodate that so I will be digging back into it soon.