Thread: 3 valve 4.6 makes 175hp on the dyno - Help Please

Cool 3 valve 4.6 makes 175hp on the dyno - Help Please

Could someone please take a look at the attached files? I am working on a S197 3 valve with the following mods and it just isn't making power.

The vehicle came to me with the following mods,

Cams (unknown size, maybe ford racing?)
    Ford Racing Intake (no IMRC)
    BBK Short tube Headers
    BBK Throttle body
    Accel Coils (I hate these things but I don't think its the issue here)
    Coil Air Intake
    BAMA Handheld Tune (was running very lean, missing, 25% LTFT and still lean)

I started to retune, I have spark at 25-26 degrees at WOT, AFR is not in the logs but I dialed it in with a wideband, it sits between 12.6:1 and 12.8:1 at wot.
    The pedal calibration is not finished, I'd like to tackle that after the other issues here are sorted.
    The motor does not make any funny noises and idles alright. New spark plugs were put in right before tuning.

Other cars were able to make power on the dyno just fine.

In the logs you will see bank 2 is running lean. When scanning live the narrowband sensor readings are much closer to each other. Why is it worse in the log vs watching live?

I can't seem to find anything in the tune that would be causing the lean condition, can someone take a look at the current file to see if anything in the tune would be causing this? I have a hunch that the fuel crossover line is pinched on the Ford Racing Intake manifold but the customer 'swears' that it isn't. I'd just like a sanity check before I start taking the car apart.
    Thanks!

Attachment 49083
    Attachment 49084
    Attachment 49085

I've included a stock 2007 mustang gt tune, the baseline tune the car came to me with, and "tune2" is the current tune with the changes I have made so far. Logs are below.
    Last edited by VodeAn; 03-08-2015 at 09:00 AM.

Log Files

Again, when scanning live the banks look pretty close to one another, but when you open these logs you will see bank 2 is basically dead.
    I've never ran into this issue before.

Attachment 49086
    Attachment 49087
    Attachment 49088

couple things in the file is kinda strange

1. what fuel? stoich afr is 14.4..........e10 is 14.08
    2. timing is low for n/a 3v, log showed 22.4 at around 5662 rpm. you could kick that up a bit I have run up to 31* on 93 pump
    3. is bank two o2 bad?
    also you could grab the vct values for the ford racing hot rods and plug them in.
    Last edited by wayno; 03-08-2015 at 12:20 PM.

What cold air intake are you runing AirAid 100mm ,JLT 3 110m,Ford racing 85mm MAF housing?

wayno,

1. It's pump gas, somewhere between e10 and straight gas depending on where the customer fills up. 14.4 is a medium between the two. I could tune on 14.08, by commanding ~.86 lambda during enrich and setting 14.4 stoich I end up with a happy medium (still very safe even if the customer fills up and gets e10. Where I live I've seen anywhere between 3% ethanol and 9% ethanol at various stations)
    2. You are correct, the timing is very conservative right now but that's not the issue here, that certainly isn't causing the car to make half the RWHP that it should be. Once this lean issue is sorted out I'll probably end up between 28 and 30 degrees.
    3. If you reread the original post, that's the issue I want to sort out here. Is there anything tune related that could cause one bank to run lean? Why is bank 2 low in the logs but looks alright while scanning live?

Put the fuel injector timing vs ECT back to stock and change IVO setting in the same section from 345 degrees to 311 degrees.

I was just curious about the fuel didn't know anyone sold straight pump gas anymore.
    I have dealt with it a few times usually its mechanical issue injectors not seated, bad o2,intake leak, but i had a severely jacked mtf once and it caused some crazy things with the fuel trims.
    Not sure about the injector timing, never had to mess with that on a 3v.
    What do the short term trims do when adaptive learning is turned off?
    Bank 2 is driver side so i don't think a kink in the crossover line will cause that since fuel is coming in on that side.

I thought bank 2 was passenger side, too much time working on GM cars I suppose. Thanks for the information. I'll try changing the injector timing and IVO settings.

Wanted to update this after working on the vehicle today. Ended up having the tech at the shop pull the rails off, there was a thick layer of varnish on everything, the insides of the injectors were visibly dirty. We sent the injectors to be cleaned and flowtested are cleaning the other components. This was likely the issue, thanks everyone for the help!

Witt, does changing the ivo to 311 set it for ford racing cams? I have a 3v w frpp cams and 10.5 cr and got af pretty nailed down except under 2k at cruising light load and idle. seems the overlap is causing this so im trying to see what to do so it can idle down below 950 rpms and not stumble or dip in idle if you tap the throttle. im almost certain its from the cams. also does anyone have a file set up proper w the imrc deleted? its a frpp intake
    GOD HELP US ALL....

Quote Originally Posted by kaineoutlaw View Post
    Witt, does changing the ivo to 311 set it for ford racing cams? I have a 3v w frpp cams and 10.5 cr and got af pretty nailed down except under 2k at cruising light load and idle. seems the overlap is causing this so im trying to see what to do so it can idle down below 950 rpms and not stumble or dip in idle if you tap the throttle. im almost certain its from the cams. also does anyone have a file set up proper w the imrc deleted? its a frpp intake
    Yeah that sets the intake valve opening point for fuel injector timing for frpp hot rod cams.

Quote Originally Posted by Witt View Post
    Yeah that sets the intake valve opening point for fuel injector timing for frpp hot rod cams.
    thanks! I was thinking you should subtract the ivo diff from the stock on the cam sheet but wasn't sure.
    what tables did you populate for the cam timing for wot?
    the car was getting a off af at idle and the exhaust was so bad it would burn small childrens eyes at bus stops lol!
    GOD HELP US ALL....

Quote Originally Posted by kaineoutlaw View Post
    thanks! I was thinking you should subtract the ivo diff from the stock on the cam sheet but wasn't sure.
    what tables did you populate for the cam timing for wot?
    the car was getting a off af at idle and the exhaust was so bad it would burn small childrens eyes at bus stops lol!
    Its been years since I've tuned one. I don't think I have the files from it any more. I'll look around but I'm pretty sure they were on an old laptop thats long dead. Busy installing a Procharger on a 2015 right now that's taking way longer than it should but I'll look when I'm done. I know I did a lot of work in idle timing and dashpot to make it run correctly.

Here's a video I have from then... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7d28SoPzaCk

Your video is set to private.

Got it now, thanks for changing it. Sounds nice