Thread: Tuned my first Coyote 14' GT last night, check over tune please!

Tuned my first Coyote 14' GT last night, check over tune please!

As the title says I tuned a stock 14' gt last night with good results. We added an Airaid intake to the vehicle but other than that it just had mufflers. I am attaching my tune below for some of the ones more experienced with FORD tuning to check it out. I got some ideas from looking over tunes in the repository and of course by reading here.

Baseline numbers (mustang dyno) were 360hp and after tuning it made 390 (I forgot tq numbers)

Adding the intake alone was good for 12whp after dialing in MAF vs Period table of course!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by shoaf85; 03-05-2015 at 08:18 PM.

Just got a call from the owner and he said the car was stumbling a little at very low rpm's when driving in 5th/6th gear. I know there isn't much you can tell me without a log. I am gonna drive the car tomorrow and get some data logs. I didn't spend a lot of time in the lower range of the MAF period table and I'm thinking the trims may be out some in the lower RPM range.

Advanced Tuner
    I'm not an expert by any means, still learning from others who have helped me a lot around here, especial thanks to Schaid and Toyoguru, but I see you added a ton in the MAF/Period table, 44% more or less in the low flow numbers, i figure the fuel trims must be in high side of rich, but i don't know if that should cause any stumbles or not, or if that is necessary because of the airraid CAI, i have the stock airbox, and still had to correct the MAF period table until 173 freq, i added around 7% down low, less towards the higher freq up to 173F.

This is my tune so far, i haven't add/remove any timing, as i don't have a way to verify KR, so i'll rather play safe for now, we only have 91 octane here in Southern Cali, and it can be piss sometimes for the most part. , car has stock airbox, and GT500 AB, it's a 2012 GT with Brembo package.

Thanks for the input man. I loggged maf vs period with a custom histogram referencing STFT's. We logged with the stock air intake and the STFT errors were reasonable (2-3%). Then we installed the aftermarket CAI and logged again which then was showing a STFT error of 30-40%. Since I verified that the STFT's were in check before hand I assumed this was correct so I made the changes. After doing so the STFT came back in line with a 2-10%. After that I mainly worked on the higher load areas of the MAF Period table as we were on the dyno and time was critical. I feel pretty sure that the MAF table needs some more work down low. He's gonna drop it off with me tomorrow so we shall see.

Here are the two logs I have (all others are on flash drive at garage).
    Both logs were performed with the factory tune. The maftuning log was after installing the CAI but again still on the stock tune.
    Last edited by shoaf85; 03-05-2015 at 08:20 PM.

Added stock file to the first post for reference as well.

Tuner
    Tune looks like a good start. You may want to look at the borderline spark tables along with the maf vs period when you do your logging. Make sure you set up a custom PID so you can get a histogram properly populated with data to make the changes to the MAF vs period table too. Also, is this car going to be running low and high octane fuel? If the owner is only going to run high octane, you can zero out the octane adjustment table. Not sure of your location or fuel availability (91,92 or 93 octane), but the timing looks a bit timid if its a 93 octane tune.

Overall, some nice adjustments have been made, and definitely going in the right direction.

Edit : haven't looked at the log file yet, will check it out when time allows

One other thing, .874 in the commanded lambda is a little lean on these cars. They tend to like a little more fuel..
    Last edited by toyoguru; 03-05-2015 at 08:33 PM.
    Current toy- 97 SCSB OBS chevy forged 6.0/4l80 combo with a bit of boost..currently back under the knife

To many previous vehicles to list

Much appreciated, I attached my config file above which has my histograms in it. I "think" I have it setup correctly. Also I am in NC as well and the owner is going to run solely on 93. I was definitely being conservative on the timing I just didn't want to overdo it on the dyno. I prefer to fine tune at the track.

Tuner
    I attached a config I used to look at your log file. You may need to redo a few of the values in the MAF error histogram, but with this config I was able to populate more data in a few of the histograms. The knock one is pretty useless, but a few of the others work really good.
    Current toy- 97 SCSB OBS chevy forged 6.0/4l80 combo with a bit of boost..currently back under the knife

Advanced Tuner
    I don't remember who said it, but one of the more experienced tuners on here did a bunch of testing w/ the lambda and found that about 0.84-0.85 was optimum for max power for afr. I've also read that someone found that on 93 octane max power in the spark department takes place around 26 degrees. I don't have time at the moment to look things over, but I may this evening. I'm by no means an expert. The advice you've gotten so far seems very sound and I'm not sure I can add much.
    "I didn't fail, I just found 100 ways to do it wrong." - Benjamin Franklin

Tuner
    Schaid, that was my personal experience using the MPH average at the dragstrip while playing with the a/f ratios to find out where the car made the best power N/A. Also, 26-27 degrees is where my car was happiest, but spark timing has to play with the variable cam timing, as both are means to increase cylinder pressure. Personally, I would make changes to the cam timing first, get the best power out of those tables and then start bringing ignition timing up until you find the best power.

Got the car straightened out today. The car just felt a little sluggish at tip in and the throttle wasn't very responsive. Looking through the tune and some repository tunes I tried changing the Engine Torque table under the Airflow--> electronic throttle tab by reducing it by 15% along with disabling the clutch protection and this seemed to work. The car was much more peppy so to speak at tip in and starting off from a stop.

He also wanted a ghost cam tune which I worked up using your method toyoguru. It worked fairly well and the car ran fine while only slightly hunting for idle from time to time. However after he picked the car up it continued to get worse the more he drove it. It eventually started stalling and constantly idling very low so I flashed it back to previous tune.

I attached the files below normal finished tune and then that same tune with ghost cam tuning, along with a log of the poor idling with ghost cam.

TIA for any help guys, I need to tune a GM asap LOL

Senior Tuner
    Is this Adam, by chance?

LOL no I think I know who you're talking about tho. Has a red FRC vette

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by shoaf85 View Post
    LOL no I think I know who you're talking about tho. Has a red FRC vette
    Yep. I saw shoaf so I figure is ask.

Tuner
    On the cammed idle..try these changes and see how it responds..
    Under the idle tab
    In General
    Enable RPM -change to 200
    Disable - change to 50

In Airflow
    Idle Airflow
    Change the Drive and P/N back to stock values

Int time underspeed - raise value from 1.0 to 2.0

If this doesn't correct the issue let me know and we can dig into a couple other tables that may help, but this should at least make it better.

Thanks Toyo for the help. I will give that a shot and report back in time

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by shoaf85 View Post
    As the title says I tuned a stock 14' gt last night with good results. We added an Airaid intake to the vehicle but other than that it just had mufflers. I am attaching my tune below for some of the ones more experienced with FORD tuning to check it out. I got some ideas from looking over tunes in the repository and of course by reading here.

Baseline numbers (mustang dyno) were 360hp and after tuning it made 390 (I forgot tq numbers)

Adding the intake alone was good for 12whp after dialing in MAF vs Period table of course!

im sure all these guy have helped a good bit. from what ive seen in your file theres alot left on the table with this car. cam timing could be alot more aggresive, spark timing, driver demand, increased cylinder pressure limits, increased max load, and a few other things. which intake does the car have?
    Last edited by taylor476; 03-10-2015 at 12:34 AM.

It has an Airaid intake on it. Yea that's the kind of info I'm looking for as well thanks. I was looking through the parameters last night and found a a table for max load at wot which I'm assuming needs to be changed since the loads on the datalogs are higher than the numbers in this table.

Thanks again guys and this is my first Ford tune period so all the little tips/pointers are going a long way, much appreciated
    Last edited by shoaf85; 03-10-2015 at 06:00 AM.