Thread: AFM disabling by just tuning?

Potential Tuner

AFM disabling by just tuning?

Just a question i've been wondering for awhile.
    I know AFM/DOD/V4 to V8 mode and be deleted by changing out the valley cover and lifters and tuning, but ive also been told by a few people and done a little bit of research that says it can be disabled but just a tune.

now I am as beginner as you can get on tuning but the little bit of research I have done, I have seen that you can mess with the COT Enrichment and it can disable the AFM.

Any input, pointers, tips or advise would be appreciated.

Thank You
    Kbhughes87

It's just a simple "enable/disable" feature if you want it on or off.

And just because the system is disabled doesnt mean that a DOD lifter can't fail, they can still stick down and or break and screw the cam up. But it's less likely to happen because they arent being turned on and off by the solenoids.

Otherwise you could swap cams, lifters, vally plate, timing chain/gear/cover and have it all gone for good.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    I knew you could just delete it by swapping all the parts but wasn't sure if it could be disabled to not function anymore by changing configurations in the computer without swapping parts

Tuner
    Does turning off AFM help with oil consumption? I know there are other concerns that contribute to oil consumption, but I also understand that there is oil "spray" that adds to oil consumption when AFM is active.

It can help.

I see oil eating issues on 05-06 motors in the envoy's/trailblazers and the 07-09 GM 5.3/6.2's the most. Though I've seen some trucks that do eat some oil after 4-5k on a oil change but thats that the limit for most oils/filters anyway.

Figure if you lose half a quart in 2,000-3,000 miles, you are within GM specs and don't have a huge worry yet. Pull the TB off any 07+ intake and inside has a coating of thin oil mist all over it.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.