Thread: a few questions

Tuner in Training

a few questions

Hello all! Ok, I have a 99 silverado 5.3. Im going to start with problem 1. lol.
    1. I've been logging and logging using the STFT's and trying to get my VE table straightened out. I keep getting conflicting information on what to do when it comes time to merge the histogram into the VE table. Some say add, and some say multiply by 1/2 %. Which one is correct? No matter what I do and how many times i do it seems my STFT's stay around 9-10%.

2. I read that i should upgrade to a newer OS. So I licensed the 2002 file from the repository and did an entire write. First, At first, it wouldn't start, so I disabled VATs and and started. Once running, the check alternator light kept illuminating. So once again, What did I do wrong? I'm about to pull my hair out already. lol

Advanced Tuner
    Your 1999 truck only uses the "L" terminal on the alternator (generator). The 2002 trucks use both the "L" and "F" terminals on the alternator. To get rid of the "check alternator" light, set DTC P1638 to "3 - No Error Reported".

To get the VATS system to function after an OS change, you need to do a VATS relearn procedure. Try a Google search for this ... it has been posted many times on the Internet.

A little more research, and a little less impulsiveness, may serve to reduce your level of frustration.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks Jon, I did look through the DTC's earlier and looked at DTC P1638 but it wasn't checked so I figured It wasn't causing any problems. I set it to no error reported and see if it fixes the problem. Also, I thought I could do a VATS relearn using VCM suite but it didn't work. If I got to do it the old fashioned way I will. Thanks so much for the advice! I'm going to get my tune file and some logs up hopefully tomorrow and see if you all can help me find why my STFT's aren't changing with I alter the VE table. :/

Quote Originally Posted by 2doorimpala View Post
    Hello all! Ok, I have a 99 silverado 5.3. Im going to start with problem 1. lol.
    1. I've been logging and logging using the STFT's and trying to get my VE table straightened out. I keep getting conflicting information on what to do when it comes time to merge the histogram into the VE table. Some say add, and some say multiply by 1/2 %. Which one is correct? No matter what I do and how many times i do it seems my STFT's stay around 9-10%.

2. I read that i should upgrade to a newer OS. So I licensed the 2002 file from the repository and did an entire write. First, At first, it wouldn't start, so I disabled VATs and and started. Once running, the check alternator light kept illuminating. So once again, What did I do wrong? I'm about to pull my hair out already. lol
    Error is in percentage so you multiply. Also make sure you have the tune configured correctly for your chosen tune philosophy....MAf, VE, Open or closed loop etc.

Ed M
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]