Thread: 2013 Sonic 1.4 Knock

Tuner in Training

2013 Sonic 1.4 Knock

What is the maximum boost you can run safely on a near stock sonic. I'm dealing with a good amount of knock retard hitting between 240-250 kpa and occasionally around 2800 rpm at around 160 kpa. Only mods are a zzp downpipe and k and n sri with a cold air snorkel to fog light housing. I'm commanding 11.5-11.2 afr so I don't believe its a too lean issue. Winter fuel may have a play in the overall knock at high boost but what is the cause for low boost situations. I also have a zzp intercooler laying around and waiting for BNR charge pipes or atleast a better option to the RAW charge pipes. However looking at my datalogs, the stock intercooler seems to be keeping up just fine with temps as long as the pulls aren't back to back and an ample amount. Lastly what's the best way to tune spark advance to remove knock if its winter fuel quality right now, and where do I start pulling timing from?

Advanced Tuner
    Log knock retard in the histrogram in Scanner, then you can copy and paste knock retard histrogram table over to your Spark Advance in Editor. Then just smooth table. Use 93 octane(if available). But make sure you give the car a good look over to make sure there isn't anything rattling or rubbing on something that could be causing false knock. Common example is a charge pipe that is not supported very well. And then also make sure actual AFR is matching Commanded AFR. 24psi seems like the number I have seen a couple of people using with the supporting mods(intercooler, exhaust, and piping).

Tuner in Training
    The 93 octane I may have to try, 93 isn't sold in Colorado that I'm aware of but I know a few places that sell Sunoco 100 octane and possibly mix my own 93-95. We just got hit by a snowy cold storm so I will have to delay further tuning until all the roads clears up. I do also have a stiffer lower trans mount that's barely getting broken in but still has mild vibrations compared to new. Other than that nothing rattling or loose or anything like that. Actual air fuel ratio isn't far off commanded on my Aem wide band. I may also just throw in the ZZP intercooler and see where that gets me instead of waiting on decent charge piping. I'm just curious as to how a buddy of mine can run same mods on a trifecta tune and push 23-24 psi just fine, and I hit knock retard shortly after 20 psi