Thread: 2012 Mustang GT Engine Timing questions

Advanced Tuner

2012 Mustang GT Engine Timing questions

from stock, how much degrees would it be safe to add to increase performance with 91 octane?
    I'm flying solo at the time since I can't see KR, the pid only display some crazy number sometimes, like 125-127 whatever it is, that I don't know what the interpretation of such number will be,

stock timing by SilverFJ RSM, on Flickr

and I've been reading about the relation between MBT spark and spark borderline, so at least I know where the timing ceiling is in a theoretical world.
    In the GM approach, i'll zero out the PE/COT spark, and use my Hi Octane table to make spark changes, in the Ford approach, the related tables seem to be the Base Lambda spark and borderline spark optimum power,
    What's the general idea for spark tuning in the Coyotes, zero out the base lambda spark, and make adjustments to the Borderline spark OP ? or just add timing in the base lambda spark?

Also as a general idea, where does this engines make the most power with 91 octane safe, 22-24* ? when it's hot, I can see a little dip in my timing table at WOT by 5000rpm, typically goes from 20* to 18*, i'd imagine this is where this engine is making max torque, so i'll probably leave the 5000rpm alone, and add 1 or 2* below 5000rpm, and past 5000rpm ? is 2* safe for 91 octane ?

Thanks a lot.
    Last edited by bluegoat06; 02-24-2015 at 10:22 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Without being able to see knock...I would go maybe 1 to 1.5. From what I'm understanding in reading in the 2.25 scanner thread we aren't far from it. I just did a basic cat delete and minor vct changes on an otherwise stock 13 gt and the owner was very pleased with the results. I only added 1* in the op table. Most of the gains were had in the vct adjustments.
    "I didn't fail, I just found 100 ways to do it wrong." - Benjamin Franklin

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks schaid, where in the vct ? Optimum power intake valve opening angle and exhaust valve opening angle ?
    I'm so lost where to even start adjust the vct timing

Advanced Tuner
    Everything I read points out to the intake/exhaust valve angle.
    Retard the exhaust, advance the intake angles, that's easy
    Question is by how much ? is there like a general consensus as to how much and what RPM for just a car with better flowing mufflers compared to stock ?
    I'm not expecting to get every ounce of power changing this tables, I just need to be able to adjust this tables in a safe way to get me started, I just don't know if I should change the entire table, or just specific rpm points, and by how much?
    how much is enough as a reference point ? from there I can figure it out on my own.
    Or if there is some sort of document or theory behind the change that it can be referenced, I can study that if I knew what I was looking for.

Thanks a lot.

Advanced Tuner
    I just use the ivo and evc for optimum power. With a stock gt and stock intake mani I just started advancing ivo a little sooner and bringing evc back a little sooner. Seemed to help the "lag" so to speak along with killing all the tq management.

As for where to pull info from on that...I searched "adjusting cam timing" found a nice read on a supra forum. Granted they are talking about mechanically doing it and having it be fixed and we have a wide range available for us.
    "I didn't fail, I just found 100 ways to do it wrong." - Benjamin Franklin

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks Schaid, do you have a link you can PM me to read on that supra forum ?
    I've pulled a couple of tunes from the repository to check as examples, as well as a tune from Toyoguru, and I can see where the changes were done, but it seems on the intake cam or exhaust cam angle table, the rpm axis was modified, and i'm afraid of changing that in my car to test, did they did that because they perhaps had a different intake in the car ?

Tuner
    The tune that I posted was on a stock air intake/intake manifold etc 13 GT. Only mods power wise were off road x pipe and tune..
    Current toy- 97 SCSB OBS chevy forged 6.0/4l80 combo with a bit of boost..currently back under the knife

To many previous vehicles to list

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks a lot Toyoguru, I've been looking at your tune closely today, and have questions on scale rpm axis for the intake/exhaust cam angle stuff, what's the reason for scaling the rpm values ? can I use that scaling in my 2012 ?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by bluegoat06 View Post
    Thanks a lot Toyoguru, I've been looking at your tune closely today, and have questions on scale rpm axis for the intake/exhaust cam angle stuff, what's the reason for scaling the rpm values ? can I use that scaling in my 2012 ?
    I find best power around 25-27 degrees on 93 octane with lambda .84. Any leaner/ more timing and we get knock over time.
    2018 Camaro SS, Maggie 2650, 103 TB, Big Gulp, E85