Thread: MAF and VE Tuning not cooperating

MAF and VE Tuning not cooperating

Ok, so I have spent countless hours making this more complicated than Im sure it is. I have read different guides, etc. I have set up two diffeerent tunes, one for tuning the MAF and one for tuning the VE. In both cases the corresponding logs and histograms are not logging as expected (Just reading flat 0's and 100's everywhere). Please if you can look below at these tunes/logs/histos and see what I have jacked up Id greatly appreciate it. It may be something that was already in the car that I didnt realize would effect my logs.

The car is an 24X Converted LT1 with LT4 Heads/Intake and an unknown Cam, Running a 2002 F-Body profile

Thanks!!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner
    I think most of your problems stem from not having the wideband setup properly in scanner. Open your scanner and close any opened scanner log. Delete "Dan's LC1 Offset" from the scanner table and right click on EIO Input 1 and click "Insert input". Expand "Wideband O2" and double click LC1 from the list. Then go to the scanner chart display and right click somewhere so you can select "Chart settings" . Expand "Chart 2" and click wideband , should be just under MAf and Map. On the right side of that window click PID and go under Wideband O2 and double click LC1. You should now be able to scan with active Wideband reading and have the histograms work.
    2001 Z06 : 856/830 : Built LQ9 403ci : D1SC 17psi : Self-built , self-tuned.

Advanced Tuner
    Hey Dan,

I gave your tunes a quick look:

MAF tune - I don't think you're disabling the MAF. I use MAF high disable set to 400, and disable the LTFT.

Try reading this post. Its the one I've used with success

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...erm-Fuel-Trims

About half way down, Ed M posts a word doc that outlines the steps needed.

Jason

Your VE tune does not have DTC P0101, 102 and 103 set to fail on first error. You are not entering Speed density. Also remember with the MAF failed, you will be getting your spark from the low octane table so you need to load you High Octane spark table parameter to the low octane table.

The MAF file needs Airflow>Dynamic>High RPM Disable set to 400. Put Hi/lo RPM Thresh back to stock 2400.

Ed M
    Last edited by mowton; 02-22-2015 at 08:46 PM.
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by nkautz View Post
    I think most of your problems stem from not having the wideband setup properly in scanner. Open your scanner and close any opened scanner log. Delete "Dan's LC1 Offset" from the scanner table and right click on EIO Input 1 and click "Insert input". Expand "Wideband O2" and double click LC1 from the list. Then go to the scanner chart display and right click somewhere so you can select "Chart settings" . Expand "Chart 2" and click wideband , should be just under MAf and Map. On the right side of that window click PID and go under Wideband O2 and double click LC1. You should now be able to scan with active Wideband reading and have the histograms work.
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonS5555 View Post
    Hey Dan,

I gave your tunes a quick look:

MAF tune - I don't think you're disabling the MAF. I use MAF high disable set to 400, and disable the LTFT.

Try reading this post. Its the one I've used with success

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...erm-Fuel-Trims

About half way down, Ed M posts a word doc that outlines the steps needed.

Jason
    Quote Originally Posted by mowton View Post
    Your VE tune does not have DTC P0101, 102 and 103 set to fail on first error. You are not entering Speed density. Also remember with the MAF failed, you will be getting your spark from the low octane table so you need to load you High Octane spark table parameter to the low octane table.

The MAF file needs Airflow>Dynamic>High RPM Disable set to 400. Put Hi/lo RPM Thresh back to stock 2400.

Ed M
    Thanks everyone. I appreciate it. Well, I will re-try the wideband setup with the pre loaded LC1 values, but I noticed with that it read different than the guage so I used an offset to make it read correctly per an instructional guide.

MAF High disable to 400.. OK ill set that. I must be getting some less than desireable "how to's". I totally missed the DTCs

I do however have my high and low octane tables the same (I think, I will double check)

Ill report back. Thanks guys!

It concerns me that when I set the wideband to the factory lc1 profile loaded into HPT it reads differrent. If anything the guage reads about a point or so lean compared to my scanner. The GUAGE should always be the right one wouldnt it and my scanner is improperly set up?

The Guage should read properly with the analog interface but there can be differences in ground current which give The scanner different readings. The way I verify is to run the car in closed loop. The NB O2's will try and hold the afr to lambda 1 or if using afr, app 14.2. Use these readings to tweak the scanners transfer function for your particular wideband. I am not at a computer but if you go yhe The Tuning School site, they have a great tutorial on how to set this up..

Hope this helps.

Ed M
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available

[email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by mowton View Post
    The Guage should read properly with the analog interface but there can be differences in ground current which give The scanner different readings. The way I verify is to run the car in closed loop. The NB O2's will try and hold the afr to lambda 1 or if using afr, app 14.2. Use these readings to tweak the scanners transfer function for your particular wideband. I am not at a computer but if you go yhe The Tuning School site, they have a great tutorial on how to set this up..

Hope this helps.

Ed M
    Yeah thats the one I used, and I factored in an offset that appears to be making them read the same. So maybe I should leave that alone.

Quote Originally Posted by LS1Silverado05 View Post
    Yeah thats the one I used, and I factored in an offset that appears to be making them read the same. So maybe I should leave that alone.
    Sounds like you have them in sync. So just validate Lambda 1.0 (afr 14.2) in closed loop....... The values on the guage and scanner will bounce a bit more than open loop because the closed loop system hovers around rich and lean.....just average in your mind that it is bouncing +/- around 1.0/14.2

Ed M

[email protected]