Thread: Newbie to HP Tuners (Initial Run)

Potential Tuner

Newbie to HP Tuners (Initial Run)

Hello HP Tuner Community,

I am very new to the realms of tuning and have been trying to read and absorb as much information from the discussion posts as possible. The main reason I purchased HP Tuners is that I have several 1998-2002 Camaro's that I would like to begin tuning. The current attached vehicle is a 2002 Camaro Z28 (M6) with basic bolt on's (SLP: Lid, 85mm MAF, Smooth Bellow, Loud Mouth 2 Exhaust) K&N Air Filter; Speed Engineering 1 7/8 Long Tube Headers; TSP Off Road Y-pipe with Dynomax bullet mufflers; Deleted AIR System; Deleted Rear O2 Sensors; Deleted CAGS; Lowered Fan Temps to 180; Raised Rev limit to 6300; Raised Top Speed to 255. The car was professionally tuned in Florida before the long tube header install. Would like to solicit some opinions on the current tune and scan file. The car seems to run pretty good, but does seem to be awfully rich. Thank you in advance for your time.

Kenneth Howell
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner
    WOT MAP looks low. 82-85 kPa. Are you at a high elevation? What does the MAP read with KOEO? WOT timing seems a little low at 20-22 degrees, but I've never tuned a car at a high elevation (if that's what is going on with the MAP) to know if they require less timing. Most normal elevation tunes run 26-28 degrees. There is no wide band log so can't tell what the WOT A/F is but the narrow band O2s look reasonable at WOT. Your part throttle fuel trims look reasonable too so not sure what you mean by seems awfully rich. Closed loop it is being trimmed to stoich.

Tuner
    Yeah you really need a wideband if you want to get anywhere with the tune. If you don't want to bother with a proper installation , you can hook one up to the tailpipe and run the wire in through the trunk or through the passenger side window. Get a PLX if you don't have one, easy to use and works well: http://www.plxdevices.com/product_in...DBDSMAFR_DM6G3. I didn't see any KR so that's a good sign. I would drop the PE delay to 2000rpm or so and make the PE value the same across the board.
    2001 Z06 : 856/830 : Built LQ9 403ci : D1SC 17psi : Self-built , self-tuned.

Potential Tuner
    2xLS1,

Thanks for the reply, Yes the vehicle is at high elevation (Colorado Springs, Colorado). Still working on getting a Wide Band O2 Sensor hooked up so the tune can be more dialed in.

Quote Originally Posted by 2xLS1 View Post
    WOT MAP looks low. 82-85 kPa. Are you at a high elevation? What does the MAP read with KOEO? WOT timing seems a little low at 20-22 degrees, but I've never tuned a car at a high elevation (if that's what is going on with the MAP) to know if they require less timing. Most normal elevation tunes run 26-28 degrees. There is no wide band log so can't tell what the WOT A/F is but the narrow band O2s look reasonable at WOT. Your part throttle fuel trims look reasonable too so not sure what you mean by seems awfully rich. Closed loop it is being trimmed to stoich.
    High elevation likes more timing. 20-22 is probably pretty lazy unless it has a bunch of compression, but it looks like an otherwise stock ls1. Living at high elevation I know how much altitude can affect the power of a car.