Thread: Aweful choice for our first tune.

Potential Tuner

Aweful choice for our first tune.

This vehicle an 03 Silverado automatic had a v6 now has an 06 5.3 with 12mm shaved heads, 232/234 .595/.598 112 cam, headers. Was told it has a v6 pcm. So, we did a write entire with a factory 5.3 tune from the repository. adjusted idle changes and never quit go it to idle correctly, could not get stfts to come in. moved on to the maf tuning. our LTFTs are erratic.

may have bit off more than we can chew, but know it is a good learning experience. could someone please take a look at the attached file and maybe point us in right direction. thanks.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training

Senior Tuner
    Just on initial inspection, that idle speed is pretty low for that cam. first thing I would do is raise the idle speed in park another 100 rpm, slightly lower in gear and add another 2-3 grams/sec in the Base Idle Airflow table and start there. you may be able to come down on idle once the other things are dialed in, but 900 is around where that cam will likely want to be. Does the truck still have the stock converter? If so, you'll continue to struggle with the idle.

Your Mass Air Flow curve is terrible! Go back to a stock MAF curve and work from there. If the screen is still in the MAF, this will be close and the curve should remain smooth. Just make percentage offsets to the whole curve until things are a little closer. If your having to make huge changes to the maf curve using a stock maf, your issues may be else ware. you'll also have to do some work on the VE table to get the idle and part throttle fueling more consistent.
    Jaime

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirdCoastTBSS View Post
    This vehicle an 03 Silverado automatic had a v6 now has an 06 5.3 with 12mm shaved heads, 232/234 .595/.598 112 cam, headers. Was told it has a v6 pcm. So, we did a write entire with a factory 5.3 tune from the repository. adjusted idle changes and never quit go it to idle correctly, could not get stfts to come in. moved on to the maf tuning. our LTFTs are erratic.

may have bit off more than we can chew, but know it is a good learning experience. could someone please take a look at the attached file and maybe point us in right direction. thanks.
    That 12mm shave on the heads is probably causing some problems too. Not sure I would call that a shave.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 2xLS1 View Post
    That 12mm shave on the heads is probably causing some problems too. Not sure I would call that a shave.
    Good catch there. That didn't register with me the first time. I didn't know stock heads had enough deck thickness to accept almost a 1/2" off. I hope that's a typo. If that's accurate, I'd also be looking for a vacuum leak at the manifold or possible pushrod length issues, but my comments on you calibration file still stand.
    Jaime

Advanced Tuner
    As was noted in a post above, the V6 pcm may not have written correctly and is only running on 6 cylinders....

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the help! Verified the "12mm" shave, NO! It was a 12 thousandths shave. Found a bad bank 2 O2 sensor and swapped that out, started over. Didn't mess with the idle yet, went into MAF and VE tuning. The truck got better with every drive. Attached is the last HPT file and scan file. Fuel trims looked good but the truck is stuttering under acceleration and cruise. Maybe timing? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!
    Attached Files Attached Files